Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

About Kaspersky.....

by Maggie6243 / April 2, 2007 2:20 AM PDT

I decided to try the 30 day free trial of Kaspersky Anti Virus. How does it compare to Avast or AVG? Is it better, worse, or is it about the same? It seems to take longer to scan than either of the other two. I don't know that it's a bad thing, maybe just scanning more stuff. Anyone use it? Maggie

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: About Kaspersky.....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: About Kaspersky.....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You can check the features
by Donna Buenaventura / April 2, 2007 2:54 AM PDT
In reply to: About Kaspersky.....

If I am not mistaken, AVG Free do not scan for spyware. It is only available to AVG Pro or any paid edition of AVG.

KAV is not freeware so like the paid version of AVG Pro, KAV will also scan for more items.

If you wonder how KAV perform in virus test by independent researcher, see http://av-comparatives.org/
Click Comparatives at the left then select Feb. 2007 online result.
AVG Free antivirus was not tested during Feb. 2007.
What they include in the test is the paid version -- AVG anti-malware.
AVG antimalware got Advanced rating while KAV received Advanced+

AVG free is light to use but has limitation. It is one of the popular AV and it works to many users.

Collapse -
Kaspersky is regarded by many as being one of the best
by scott_789 / April 2, 2007 10:39 AM PDT

I personally use their online scanner on occasion for verification.

If I paid for an AV app, they'd definitly be one of the ones I'd consider.

Collapse -
I Think the KAV is Pretty "Cutting Edge" (good) but....
by tobeach / April 2, 2007 3:03 PM PDT

as a general rule of thumb, I consider cutting edge to be more subject to False Positives (not brand specific). Just something to keep in mind when looking at results before deleting. If in doubt for specific result, you might ask here before "fixing". G'Luck! Happy

Collapse -
I didn't feel comfortable
by Maggie6243 / April 3, 2007 1:28 AM PDT

with it, so I went back to the tried and true AVG. I really prefer Avast, but it doesn't work with ZA. I wonder why?...Maggie

Collapse -
That's odd. I use Avast with ZA (free)
by scott_789 / April 3, 2007 3:23 AM PDT
Collapse -
Avast and Zone Alarm free
by whitty / April 3, 2007 7:38 AM PDT

I also use avast and za free with no problems. I had them on an older hp computer and on this computer that is 7 months old.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!