Windows 7 forum

Question

About Internet Explorer Vulnerability Patch Alert

by RBRN39 / May 2, 2014 3:35 PM PDT

I run Windows7 Ultimate, Firefox Browser, have Norton Internet Security, and use an assortment of other security programs, all to the good; however, I also have IE on board, which was a natural evolution due to my previously having had Outlook Express, which needed IE, along with Windows XP. I've kept IE as a "backup" because now and then it is needed by some programs.

Now, with the purported IE intrusion alert, am I vulnerable considering the above-mentioned conditions? IE is, after all, only used in rare circumstances, but is still on-board. I've wondered now and then if I even need IE anymore...however, was told years ago it is good to have....Thanks in advance for commentary on all.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: About Internet Explorer Vulnerability Patch Alert
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: About Internet Explorer Vulnerability Patch Alert
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Vulnerability Patch
by jusalone / May 2, 2014 7:05 PM PDT

I had the Windows Update on this Windows 7 that installed that security patch for Internet Explorer. Now IE does not load. It was working fine before that update. Yeah they fixed the vulnerability alright, cannot use the browser. Good thing I have Firefox.

Collapse -
Just an idea
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 2, 2014 7:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Vulnerability Patch

Did you reboot the system after the install completed?

On my Win 7 I was told to restart to finish off the update.

Mark

Collapse -
It should have still loaded
by Jimmy Greystone / May 2, 2014 10:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Just an idea

It should have still loaded, even after installing the update, but the new files with the fixed code wouldn't have necessarily been in place.

In my experience, at least 99% of the time someone reports issues like this, you can trace it back to some kind of malware infection that wormed its way deep into the OS, doing an excellent job at remaining hidden (or the user just ignored a lot of obvious signs) and was relying on a specific version of a file that was just replaced. The new file fixes a bug this malware was relying on, it stops working, and so does everything that this program set itself up as a go-between for. There are cases where an update will break some legitimate program, but those are rare. Half the reason large companies have to test every patch is because they have a tendency to be running a lot of legacy hardware and software which might have been written who knows when. It's scary to think about how much money banks throw away on paying people to maintain old COBOL programs written in the 60s and 70s, even today. Long ago they could have just paid someone a lump sum to write a new program that accepts the same inputs and provides the same output, but is written in a more modern language, like Perl for example, where you would have no problem finding people who know how that language. Instead they spend billions a year maintaining these old systems and throwing money at colleges to keep teaching COBOL to students. But I digress. Point is, it's unlikely the person reporting an issue with the patch is telling us the whole story, whether or not they even know the whole story themselves.

Collapse -
Answer
You should install it
by Jimmy Greystone / May 2, 2014 7:10 PM PDT

You should install it because while you may not be running IE directly yourself, you never know what programs might be using the IE rendering engine in some way.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?