Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

about:blank...should I be concerned or is it normal...

by mandyrchtr / August 10, 2005 8:07 PM PDT

I have just found a shortcut from my outlook express to the web.
I clicked on help/microsoft on the web/search the web.
That brought up another window with Google search on the left of the screen and in the address bar at the top was (blue)e about:blank...
I know from the past this is nasty...although I have only had this computer running for a very short time after repair fellow got it up and running for me.
I thought I should check on this as I want to be cautious!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: about:blank...should I be concerned or is it normal...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: about:blank...should I be concerned or is it normal...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) p.s.I have windows 98SE , Microsoft Outlook 8.0 and IE 6.0
by mandyrchtr / August 10, 2005 8:09 PM PDT
Collapse -
Hi Mandy
by roddy32 / August 10, 2005 8:19 PM PDT

You should NEVER click on anything suspicious like that. I would suggest doing some virus and spyware scans and see if you have gotten infected with something again. What do you have on your computer for doing that now?

Collapse -
Hi Roddy...
by mandyrchtr / August 10, 2005 8:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Hi Mandy

I have Ad-Aware personal, Spybot S+D,both on my desktop.
AVG which also is configured to scan when the computer is booting up and runs in the background all the time.
ZoneAlarm also is there in my systray all the time.
This is not the same computer I used to use when I had prior trouble.
I have never used this one before and have only been using it for less than 2 weeks.
Have only downloaded 3 things that should be safe as I rightclicked them to scan with AVG, which were clear.
The fellow repairman also did something about the way outlook express came up on the screen because he said the other way made it vulnerable.
Mandy

Collapse -
Maybe you should call
by roddy32 / August 10, 2005 9:07 PM PDT
In reply to: Hi Roddy...

him and find out what this shortcut is then Mandy. I have a shortcut for OE on my desktop too which is normal but if your repairman did something different. only HE is going to know unless you call him. You have AVG set to do a complete virus scan every time you boot up the computer? I think you mean you have it set to have the real protection on when you boot up, a scan usually takes about an hour probably. I didn't mean to just turn it on, I meant to do a complete virus scan with it and and also do one with Ad-Aware and Spybot. Try those and see if they show up clean.

Collapse -
The Repairman
by bglover51 / August 11, 2005 1:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Maybe you should call

Probably closed the preview pane in Outlook Experss is all.

Collapse -
That is possible but I wouldn't want to guess
by roddy32 / August 11, 2005 1:30 AM PDT
In reply to: The Repairman

if it were me, I would ask him to be sure.

Collapse -
Hi bglover51...you're correct....I rang him...
by mandyrchtr / August 11, 2005 11:59 AM PDT
In reply to: The Repairman

He told me this is a good idea as having the preview pane open is a vulnerability.
Mandy

Collapse -
I took the shortcut from Outlook Express....
by mandyrchtr / August 11, 2005 12:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Maybe you should call

I opened my 'Outlook Express'from the bottom of the screen next to 'start' as usual to check my email first and then I went to 'help/contents and index'.Then to 'tips and tricks' and then 'open Internet Explorer from Outlook Express'.
I then followed the directions...go to help, point to 'Microsoft on the Web', and then I clicked on 'Search the Web'.That is when upon loading this came up on the web page.
I have not used it since...just to be sure.
The repairman is unable to answer me satisfactorally.
He said he saved my info to disk for backup just in case as he was working on it.
And it would be just as it was prior to the work ...except all cleaned up (the computer that is).
He fully scanned and made sure everything is in order.
He said if there are any problems in regards to performance of the computer there is a 3 month warranty.
That is the problem I fully scanned with what I have and also Housecall and all results are clear.
And there are no performance problems that I have come across as yet.
It just scared me when I saw the words about:blank and want to be sure.
I thought someone would tell me hopefully that is what happened to everyone that took this option and it would be normal.
I do have the Google browser as well.
Mandy

Collapse -
Google Browser?
by kyl191 / August 14, 2005 9:46 PM PDT

What 'Google Browser'? As far as I know, there is no 'Google Browser', only rumors that Google may do it. However, they say that it will be based on Mozilla Firefox, is that what you are using?

Collapse -
NOW I understand you Mandy
by roddy32 / August 11, 2005 12:45 PM PDT

LOL. I just went to OE and clicked on "help" then "Microsoft on the web", then "search the web" and I got exactly what you are talking about. The "about:blank" is just there because you have not searched yet. You are fine, there is NO problem and that is normal. You did a good thing by being cautious though after what you went through before. Sorry that it took me so long to understand what you were talking about, I have never used that particular way to search. LOL I hope this eases your mind. Happy

Collapse -
Thank goodness for that!!!!!...
by mandyrchtr / August 11, 2005 12:52 PM PDT

I realised I did not explain thoroughly enough......Thanks heaps Roddy...now I can breathe easy again!!!!LOL Mandy

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You're welcome Mandy. :)
by roddy32 / August 11, 2005 12:58 PM PDT
Collapse -
Mandy, I actually Use About:Blank as My Home...
by tobeach / August 11, 2005 3:34 PM PDT

start page (both Mozilla & IE). Have ever since I was 98SE (now XPPro). It is a legitimate blank page 'tho it can be corrupted with the virus of the same name. I keep it "Locked" by Spybot. I every once in a long while check with About Buster to be sure I'm still clean (never found anything). No performance or pop ups etc.etc. problems. Note I do all browsing with Mozilla (except Hotmail & MS via IE).
Strangely enough, I haven't used search net from OE, but would consider THAT as a possible security risk, along with OE Messenger back channel, as outside of e-Mail in & Out (Avg Scanned) I wouldn't want the chance of a trojan being able to access the net thru there as a back door out. I could just be being overly paranoid but that seems almost as open as ''Remote Access'' & Printer Sharing via net features (which I keep turned off as default). Hope this eases your fears of About:Blank. Good Luck! Happy

Collapse -
Thanks tobeach...
by mandyrchtr / August 12, 2005 4:10 PM PDT

I will NOT use this as a means of getting onto the net through OE anymore now as you pointed out about security issues.
I am trying to be as cautious as possible now...and it is difficult to know what are and are not to watch out for in regards to this subject.....unless people like you let others know...and people like me log into cnet forums to read them...LOL
bye tobeach
Mandy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?