Computer Help forum

General discussion

by DoocesWild22 / July 1, 2004 7:17 AM PDT

Every time I start Internet Explorer, It goes to about:blank and I get a few popups. It's not the normal blank page, it's got links to business, art, blah blah blah. I try and set my homepage to Google, and it works until I close IE and then it resets itself. I had a virus on my computer, i forget what it was called, but the description said that it does this exact problem. I have run virusscan many many times now and it doesn't find a virus. I also have a popup blocker and I still get popups.

Windows XP Pro SP1
AMD Athlon XP 2200+
1500 MB Ram

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: about:blank
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: about:blank
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: about:blank
by Cursorcowboy / July 1, 2004 7:27 AM PDT
In reply to: about:blank
WARNING: As always, make sure every utility you use is fully updated.

1. First, please read the article concerning "Unsolicited Commercial Software."

2. Second, perform as a minimum the first five items listed below.

Note: If you try using CWShredder, HijackThis, as well Spybot S&D, Ad-aware and several other anti-spyware utilities and a trojan is installed which prevents their running, download PepiMK's "CoolWWWSearch.SmartKiller" removal tool, uncompress the zip file and run the program.

a. "Housecall."

b. 'Adaware." Your attention is invited to "Unable to Log On To Windows XP After Removing wsaupdater.exe."

c. "Spybot S&D."

d. "CWShredder" - 1 or "CWShredder" - 2.

Note: Problems connecting? Try "Computer Cops" and find the files in question to download from there.

e. "McAfee AVERTStinger."

f. "Hijack This" - 1 or "Hijack This" - 2.

Note: Posting a log concerning #f should only be at the direction of a forum moderator IMO.

3. Please reply to our input that each and every one of the five were used and the result if you require further input.

4. Check this Web site, "Files used by Spyware" if interested.

5. Download and use "IEFix" - a general purpose fix for Internet Explorer (Win 98/ME/2000/XP):

a. Registers Urlmon.dll, Mshtml.dll, Actxprxy.dll, Oleaut32.dll, Shell32.dll, Shdocvw.dll, [Q281679].

b. Refreshes Internet Explorer using IE.INF method. Note:

"Unable to Install Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP (Q304872)"

"How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP (Q318378)"

c. Initiates "SFC /Scannow" (Win2K&XP), [Q310747].
Collapse -
by DoocesWild22 / July 3, 2004 4:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: about:blank

I tried everything up there, restarted, and it worked fine. Then a few hours later, it started happening again. I have a hijack this log: if you want me to post it i will.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) #2c has a lock for ''home page''
by Cursorcowboy / July 3, 2004 8:33 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) Dooces, There's A Discussion About This.....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 1, 2004 8:43 AM PDT
Collapse -
by DoocesWild22 / July 6, 2004 6:40 AM PDT

OK, at long last I believe that I am clean! Here's what I did, so maybe anyone who is having troubles can try these steps:

1. Download RegistrarLite, open it and in the address bar go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\\AppInit_DLLs. Double click on AppInit_DLLs.
--Note down EXACTLY what it says in value, mine was C:\Windows\System32\d3dgohe.dll
--the DLL file is the problem, it resets your page to about:blank, no matter what else you try

2. Insert your Windows XP cd and make sure you can boot from it, if you have questions on how to do this, put a quick post and i'm sure you'll get a fast answer to it. Once booted, hit R to go to the recovery console. Change to your directory, by typing "cd c:\windows\system32" or whatever your directory was. Type DIR to see if your file is on the list. If it is, then we want to delete it. It should be the only file created or modified in the last few weeks. Unfortunately, you most likely don't have access privelages to delete it, so what you need to do is type this:
rename "your dll file here".dll about_blank
attrib -R about_blank
delete about_blank
DIR, look for about_blank and just in case, your DLL file as well. If it's not there, excellent. If it's there, try again.

3. Back in windows, open Registrar Lite again. The last location should be saved. If not, go to the location listed above. Open the AppInit again, and hilight the value and delete it. Apply, ok.

4. Use CWSshredder.

5. Use IEFix

6. Without opening IE, from your desktop right click on IE, properties. Delete all cookies, delete all files, including offline content.

7. Run Ad-Aware. Some files should be found. Delete them.

8. Delete your Temp Directory.

9. Restart.

I hope this works for you (heck, I hope it keeps working for me!)

You can google for all of the programs above, and you'll need your windows XP CD. If you don't have WinXP, I'm sorry but I don't know if this will work or not. Good Luck!

p.s. I'm not trying to take claim to anything, these are steps I took from different posts and websites and compiled them into one. I hope this helps someone in the future

Collapse -
''Good detective work''
by Cursorcowboy / July 6, 2004 10:12 PM PDT

1. I looked for information concerning the file "d3dgohe.dll" but could not find anything through all used WEB search engines.

2. The use of RegistrarLite isn't really necessary for users who are proficient in registry edits. Whether it's all that necessary for using the "Recovery Console" is questionable but there certainly isn't anything wrong with having done so.

3. FWIW, the "AppInit_DLLs" value is found in the following registry key and only the Administrators group and the LocalSystem account have write access, [Q197571]:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows

a. All of the DLLs specified in this value (only the first 32 characters of the AppInit_DLLs value are used for files located within the SYSTEM32 directory only, which negates the use of a path) are loaded by each Windows-based application running within the current logon session and are loaded via LoadLibrary() during the DLL_PROCESS_ATTACH of User32.dll.

b. The subkey values used are created to run under Windows for MS-DOS and causes all the specified DLLs (one or many) to be attached to all Windows-based applications. This means that once this is set for a session, upon restarting the system, all the Windows-based applications that run in that session will load the specified DLLs.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?