Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Able to access network resources but can't be ping'd

by nixah / January 24, 2006 10:55 PM PST

I have a laptop here running XP Pro that can login to the network, process/run login scripts, access the internet, mail servers, shared drives and other various network resources however the laptop in question cannot be pinged, accessed or otherwise be seen on the network (i.e.: \\Laptop\Share$, \\IP.ADD.RE.SS\Share$; ping IP or host = request timed out) The routing tables look fine, it is authenticating as it should, we've tried two different subnets, releasing and renewing the IP, even used a hard coded IP but the machine could not be pinged or otherwise accessed. I thought maybe the TCP/IP stack might've been corrupted some how so I removed all of the protocols and clients for that NIC however TCP/IP would not disappear from the list. I removed the device from device manager and upon Windows reinstalling the device, after a reboot of course, there was no change. Aside from reimaging the machine, what else do you suggest I try.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Able to access network resources but can't be ping'd
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Able to access network resources but can't be ping'd
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Some firewalls block ping.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 24, 2006 11:02 PM PST

That's the obvious item.

Bob

Collapse -
No
by nixah / January 25, 2006 3:17 AM PST

There are no firewalls on the machine or snffing/DNE drivers loaded. Does have WiFi and 1394 but disabling both in device manager doesn't help.

Collapse -
Then details will help.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 25, 2006 5:16 AM PST
In reply to: No

So far, nothing in your gives up the clue.

Bob

Collapse -
Thx
by nixah / January 25, 2006 9:45 PM PST

First off I'd like to say thank you to those brave few who replied; I greatly and sincerely apprecaite everyone's suggestions.
The built-in firwall in XP is enabled but not setup to block ICMP & there is no change when we turn it off.
This is a very strange problem:
If the machine cannot be reached via net use, ping, tracert, \\machine-name\share$ or \\IP\share$ nor are we able to view the event logs remotely etc, how could the network possibly communicate with it? It boggles the mind!
Again, the only problem we have is that we are unable to effectively assist the client remotely. When said client has a problem, we cannot remote into their machine or map a drive to copy files (which happens every so often). However, as far as we and the client are concerned, the machine is functioning as it should.
Can anyone recommend any additional or third-party tools or tests to better diagnose this problem?

-----------------
Mr. Proffitt - What sort of details do you need/want?

Collapse -
The IP plan for instance.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 25, 2006 11:02 PM PST
In reply to: Thx

I can't tell if the IP numbers, netmask are valid on the 2 machines that can't ping each other.

Internal 192.x.x.x and self assigned 169.x.x.x numbers are not internet numbers so you can share that.

I'm at 192.0.0.101 and the netmask is 255.255.255.0

"When said client has a problem, we cannot remote into their machine or map a drive to copy files (which happens every so often)."

You revealed something here. It's not your machine or you workplace?

Bob

Collapse -
update
by nixah / February 6, 2006 9:22 PM PST

Additional Information:
Its a Dell D600 laptop running Windows XP Pro with SP2. We have developed our own image for these machines which include various applications. The machine in question connects to a hard-wired LAN which helps answer the following questions: LAN or WAN? Are there any routers or bridges or maybe even modems involved. Are there smart switches or vLANs or any high end network devices.
We do have high end managed switches and routers on the network but even on a basic ad-hoc network (simple DSL router dishing out IP's via DHCP and a built in hub) the machine is not 'visible'. Its on, it does what it needs to do, I can connect to other machines and resources but nothing can connect to it.
As for IP's: It's not using the standard windows-sanity IP address of 169.254.X.X. It gets a real legit IP of 10.x.x.x, 172.[16-31].x.x, 192.168.x.x or whatever it is that it is connected to.
As for the new Microsoft tool (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/832919/en-us) I have not had a chance to load it onto the machine as it is not currently in my posession. Will give that a shot to see if there is something funky loaded on the system which we have not yet identified.

Collapse -
That's a good clue. Are you changing the SID?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 6, 2006 11:29 PM PST
In reply to: update

With images and in certain situations we also get to change the SID of the machine. Look up SID CHANGER on google.com

You just revealed enough clues that the IT staff may need upgrading of their process. Or that you didn't tell me enough to see if the images are being deployed correctly.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?