PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Abit NF7 Issue

by chris tall / March 25, 2006 9:38 PM PST

I recently purchased an abit NF7 board from a friend, works perfectly he got it about 3 months back, got his income check so he purchased a different board, and sold me the nf7. I installed the board and the Sempron that came with it, and the computer just will NOT go past the ABIT, it doesnt even enter POST. Perhaps someone could assist me by either aiding me in this problem, or finding an online user manual.

Regards

James

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Abit NF7 Issue
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Abit NF7 Issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Please MORE info
by Ray Harinec / March 25, 2006 9:52 PM PST
In reply to: Abit NF7 Issue

What does it do at power turn on??? What fans, lights, hardware running?

Does the power supply stay on???

Collapse -
Okay
by chris tall / March 25, 2006 10:43 PM PST
In reply to: Please MORE info

The harddrive turns on, the power suppyl stays on, i get video, it does not beep or enter post, a light on the bottom of the board turns on, DVD Drive works, i get the keyboard for about 5 seconds before that goes as well. And the LED on my mouse never turns on.

PLEASE HELP!

REGARDS

JAMES

Collapse -
OK let's get started.
by Ray Harinec / March 26, 2006 12:03 AM PST
In reply to: Okay

Don't expect a one sentence solution.

First, the light on the mob means that the 5 volt standby voltage from the pwoer supply is present. That should be on anytime that the Power Supply is plugged into a hot outlet, the switch on its rear is ON and the main power bundle is connected to the mobo. An ATX systwem has the 5 volts on the mobo basiclly always, whether the computer is on or not.

Don't know what LED on mouse that you are taliking about.

How about the power on light on the front panel??

How did you mount the mobo in the case?? Any chance that one of the hex standoff's from a prior mobo was left that should have been removed, and is now shoting some artwork on the botton layer of the 4 layer mobo??

Lots more to discuss as answers are received. I used that mobo for a computer that I made for a Granddaughter.

Does your power supply have the needed four pin 12 volt connector for the CPU?

Really need the entire history to get the thing working. Some mobo's keep the logo on the screen while the post is running. Some will remove the logo to allow seeing it by hitting a key. On mine it is the tab key [a Soyo mobo].

Collapse -
Well..
by chris tall / March 26, 2006 9:38 PM PST
In reply to: OK let's get started.

I dont believe i have that 4 pin connecter attached. What does it do and why is it not allowing my computer to load.

Collapse -
The four pin connector
by Ray Harinec / March 26, 2006 9:51 PM PST
In reply to: Well..

provides 12 volts to the onboard voltage regulators that provide power to the CPU. Understand that the mobo determines which voltage to use to feed the regulators. The CPU has no idea what provides power into the regulators, the CPU simply uses the voltage out of the regulators.

Until the P4's began consuming so much power the mobo used either the 5 volts or the 3.3 volts to power the regulators. Made sense because the CPU's only use less than 2 volts.

However the higher power created the need for much more current, which caused more voltage drop in the wiring and worst of all more copper in the printed circuitry of the mobo. In some cases it caused the mobo lands to burn out. The 4 pin 12 volt connector is also located closer to the CPU to minimize the amount of printed circuitry in the path.

Thus by raising the voltage the current required for the same wattage got reduced by the factor of 5 to 12.

However it is possible to have a mobo and CPU that uses the 5 volts, and then get a new mobo for the same CPU, and that mobo uses the 4 pin connector to power the CPU.

The ATX power Supply specification was changed to add the requirement for the 4 pin 12 volt connect in Rev 2 and subsequent.

Probably more that you wanted to know.

Collapse -
Thats good
by chris tall / March 26, 2006 10:31 PM PST
In reply to: The four pin connector

I like learning about things in my computer, now i have a better understanding of the board and how they work, thanks. Ill try plugging that in when i get home and see what happens then.

Collapse -
Well Ray
by chris tall / March 27, 2006 4:01 AM PST
In reply to: The four pin connector

That didnt work, i can get keyboard and mouse initialized now, but no further than the ABIT screen once again, i cant even go into setup...any siggestions?

Regards

James

PS I got this PC for oblivion, hope it works Happy

Collapse -
Was it definitely the square 4 pin
by Ray Harinec / March 27, 2006 4:33 AM PST
In reply to: Well Ray

[arranged in a two pin square] and fairly near the CPU??

Basically you started with so little info. Basically you bought the mobo from a friend that bought a better one, and it came with a CPU.

I have no idea where you mounted it what kind of memory you used. I need a history of the installation sequence, what's plugged in, and to where, etc.

What difference di connecting the four pin connector make?? What CPU are you using? How much power does the power supply provide on that 4 pin connector.

I'll download the manual for the mobo if it is available, to have available for more research.

I must know what LEDs are on, what fans run, is the CPU good, and how do you know.

Collapse -
Any beeps?? Is
by Ray Harinec / March 27, 2006 4:34 AM PST

the case speaker connected???

Collapse -
Well
by chris tall / March 27, 2006 4:46 AM PST
In reply to: Any beeps?? Is

There where no beeps...Probably because there is no case speaker. He got an amd 2200+ 1.8ghz It ran beautifully when he had it, he didnt give me his case though, i just threw it in mine, the 4 pin connector allowed my keyboard and mosue to light up (optical mouse, numlock,caps lock etc...) Kingston 256Meg pc2700 memory, which i know works because i took it from my PC i had before, and the memory wasnt even 6 months old. Powersupply is from my Compaq 400V gets the job done, everything to my knowledge works, i dont have an os on the harddrive, partly because i cannot get past that abit screen, and it doesnt even let me hit the TAB or DELETE keys, which are supposed to [TAB] Show Post and [DEL] Setup.

Regards

James

Collapse -
"i just threw it in mine,"
by Ray Harinec / March 27, 2006 6:02 AM PST
In reply to: Well

That statement gets me back to being certain that you didn't leave a hex standoff from your old mobo that does not match up to a mounting hole of the new mobo.

Collapse -
by chris tall / March 27, 2006 7:58 PM PST

This was a bare case i purchased awhile back. There was nothing in it, no hex stand offs, no nothing. Just a power supply ^-^

Regards,

James

Collapse -
You are a person of such few words
by Ray Harinec / March 28, 2006 12:45 AM PST
In reply to: ...

How do I know how you installed the mobo. Believe it or not we had someone post that mounted the mobo directly to the mounting plate with no standoff's.

Although it sounds as if the CPU may be bad.

Try putting the mobo on a large piece of cardboard and running it that way, out of the case.

To power up, simply use a small slot screwdriver to momentarily short the power On pins together.

One other possible cause of no boot but power stays on is that the Power OK signal in the Power Supply is not functioning. That line holds the Master Rest line down until 100 to 500 milliseconds after power goes on to allow time for the voltages to rise from zero to in spec, it then releases the boot sequence to start.

I had a new top line power supply with exactly that problem.

Collapse -
ID-10 T Error
by chris tall / March 28, 2006 7:53 PM PST

Haha guys i had an ID10T error, it was a bad hard drive, thank all of you SOO much for your help. Oblivion runs nicely on my AMD 2200+ and The Asus Radeon 7000 128mb card, thank you all once more.

Regards James

Collapse -
It seems that there a number
by Ray Harinec / March 27, 2006 4:43 AM PST
Collapse -
Okay
by chris tall / March 27, 2006 5:10 AM PST

I have the NF7- S2

Thanks

regards

Collapse -
Well I downloaded the manual
by Ray Harinec / March 27, 2006 5:51 AM PST

It does not list a Sempron as supported, however it supports a 400 MHz Barton core, thus it very likely supports the Sempron.

Of course, one must consider posilities of ESD zaps to a component.

Definitely strip down to where there are no drives of any type connected to the system via power or signal.

The manual mentions being certain to set the CPU etc correctly, however I see nothing on the mobo for that. Must be in the BIOS.

One possibility is that is is set to an overclock for this CPU and thus you should reset the CMOS to the default setttings.

Collapse -
Okay
by chris tall / March 27, 2006 7:57 PM PST

Well, this porcessor is an amd 2200+ i mis understood my friend, and ill try that when i get home from school.

Regards,

James

Collapse -
Happy that it is working
by Ray Harinec / March 28, 2006 9:49 PM PST

I had no idea what oblivion was one you used the word.

Was the hard drive actually bad or just the ribbon cable plugged in backwards??

Whatever, enjoy the system.

Collapse -
Thanks
by chris tall / March 28, 2006 10:27 PM PST

Oblivions, is a game, The Elder Scrolls 4. Its one of the most high end games out there right now. Anyway, the harddrive was just bad, didnt work on any other computers. I just threw in a 40 gig for now. Thank you very much for all your help.

Regards

James

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!