Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Abducted or not. What do you think?

by James Denison / April 1, 2004 4:11 AM PST

Maybe I'm being too skeptical, but I get an odd feeling about this one. Did this really happen or is this some young woman looking for attention? Do the police have more than her word for initiating their search?

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/Midwest/04/01/missing.student/index.html

Authorities likely will interview a University of Wisconsin-Madison student for several hours about her four-day disappearance as investigators look for a man she said abducted her, apolice spokesman said Thursday.

Police are searching for a suspect in a marshy area about two miles from campus, where Audrey Seiler was found unhurt Wednesday afternoon.

Seiler told police she was abducted at knifepoint by a stranger, who held her captive but did not harm her.

In February, Seiler told police she was attacked from behind and knocked unconscious while walking alone outside after midnight. She said she woke up behind a nearby building but wasn't robbed or otherwise hurt, police said. No one was arrested then.(more at page)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Abducted or not. What do you think?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Abducted or not. What do you think?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Abducted or not. What do you think?
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / April 1, 2004 4:15 AM PST

Hi, James.

It does seem odd, but so did the case of that teenager in Utah (ah -- finally remembered her name: Elizabeth Smart). This story is apparently consistent with the pattern seen in stalker abductions, though it also could be a fraud. Too soon to tell...

-- Dave K.
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Too soon to tell...
by Dick White / April 1, 2004 4:29 AM PST

I agree, it's too soon to tell. There are not only the oddities of this particular event, but also the earlier odd event that hasn't been fully explained. Lightning does strike twice, but not often...

dw

Collapse -
Re: Too soon to tell...
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / April 1, 2004 5:24 AM PST
In reply to: Too soon to tell...

Hi, DW.

>>Lightning does strike twice, but not often...<<
But what if the earlier incident were an abortive abduction attempt, when someone or something scared the perp off...

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
Dave, that's what I mean...
by Dick White / April 1, 2004 5:36 AM PST

by lightning strikes twice. This one very well could be her second strike by a rather nasty lightning bolt. Or it could be something else of her own making, about which we don't begin to have any idea. We simply don't know enough yet to come to any conclusions in the sometimes wrong but ever-present court of public opinion, much less a court of law.

dw

Collapse -
I also think we will just have to wait and see. [nt]
by James Denison / April 1, 2004 9:13 AM PST

Collapse -
In some forms of mental illness
by SteveGargini / April 1, 2004 6:56 AM PST

The illusions can be very real to the sufferer.
Where it said:

A security camera recorded Seiler leaving her apartment about 2:30 a.m. Saturday. She left her apartment door open, with her coat and purse inside, police said.

She may have been suffering from the illusion of a man with a knife leading her out of her apartment.
Someone very close to me suffered similar illusions, and she was found in an open field after over dosing.

Collapse -
Re: In some forms of mental illness
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / April 1, 2004 8:09 AM PST

Hi, Steve.

The apparent reality of such illusions was wonderfully portrayed by Russell Crowe in Ron Howard's brilliant adaptation of A Beautiful Mind, which won several Oscars.

Collapse -
I shall keep my eyes out for that film Dave - thanks nt
by SteveGargini / April 1, 2004 1:46 PM PST

nt

Collapse -
A possibility I didn't consider.
by James Denison / April 1, 2004 9:31 AM PST

It might be real to her, even if it turns out not to be real. Good catch. Also reminds me of that Chandra Levy case. Did they ever catch anyone for that one? If this truly happened, maybe the same person relocated? Or someone of a similar nature?

Collapse -
Re:A possibility I didn't consider.
by SteveGargini / April 1, 2004 1:55 PM PST

It would explain also why they are unhurt, since very few people appear to escape death when a real abduction takes place, I am very sad to say.
That certainly seems to be the case in this country.
Whenever we hear that a young lady has gone missing we all dread the news that her body has been found.
What a sick world we live in?

Collapse -
Chandra...
by Dick White / April 1, 2004 10:55 PM PST

Nope, the Chandra Levy case is unsolved. Her skeletal remains were found a year later in a wooded area, down an embankment some distance from the road. Her stretch running pants were found tied in a knot around some of her leg bones, but the skeleton had been disturbed by wild animals during the year it lay there, so they weren't able to conclude anything about her death other than the scattered bones and clothing were hers. That one probably won't be solved unless the creep is brought in for something else and confesses to this one too.

dw

Collapse -
Sketch of abductor. Doesn't this look like Kerry?
by James Denison / April 1, 2004 10:32 AM PST
Collapse -
Re:Sketch of abductor. Doesn't this look like Kerry? -- Makes sense...
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / April 1, 2004 10:53 AM PST

...as y'all accuse him of everything else, James. LOL!

Collapse -
LOL, actually I was thinking...

...if this whole thing turns out to be a hoax or a troubled young woman's fantasy or delusion, it would fit in with that perfectly. People that are delusional put bits and pieces from the real world together into some odd arrangements to make the delusion work, sort of like when we dream at night and things in the day get worked into it.

Collapse -
He is too good looking to be Kerry - Sorry Dave ;) NT
by SteveGargini / April 1, 2004 2:01 PM PST

NT

Collapse -
Looks more like Sylvester Stallone to me
by Josh K / April 2, 2004 12:04 AM PST

He hasn't had much work lately.....hmmmmmmm

Collapse -
Heh heh, I think you're right. A strong resemblance. Rocky what number now?......
by James Denison / April 3, 2004 2:01 AM PST

Kerry fit in better with any possible delusional aspect to this however since his face is the one out there currently.

Collapse -
Breaking news, seems the story is shifting...
by Dick White / April 2, 2004 1:05 AM PST
Collapse -
Shifting to 'Not'
by C1ay / April 2, 2004 5:28 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) Sounds like she may be a quart low, all right.....
by Josh K / April 2, 2004 5:38 AM PST
In reply to: Shifting to 'Not'

Collapse -
I just had that feeling about this one, last time....
by James Denison / April 3, 2004 2:14 AM PST

...I felt that way was watching the first Susan Smith interview at a news conference on TV. She's the one that drowned her two boys in a lake, running her car into it and then blamed it on some unknown black assailant. I turned to my wife and said, "That girl's lying! I think she's hidden those boys due to some custody battle and just making this up." Even I, after realizing she was lying, didn't realize at the time it was MUCH worse than that.

It was just that odd feeling that something wasn't "kosher" about it.

Collapse -
Re: I just had that feeling about this one, last time....

Hi, James.

I've had that feeling too, and while it's right more than it's wrong, it's not infallible. For example, don't know what to thinky about the Ramsey's and their little girl. I sure wouldn't vote for him for the Michigan Legislature, though (regardless of party!)

Collapse -
I'm not sure on that one either. Bad vibes there, but for me they are more...
by James Denison / April 4, 2004 1:41 PM PDT

...toward the local police than the family. I got the feeling somehow it's family related and they don't want a tragedy to grow more for their family, but not due to the parents themselves having caused the child's death. Former children, former wife, new wife and a new little princess with doting parents, others feeling left out, cheated, some other beauty contestant's parent seeing her child lose once or even twice to Jon, etc....

Too many ways to go with that one.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.