PC Hardware forum

General discussion

A7N8X-E deluxe memory issue

by BAMJ6 / October 23, 2007 9:42 AM PDT

I bought 2 1 GB KByte DDR1 sticks today. I tried to put it in to max out my 3 GB alloted space and when i did, it restarted seconds after the Vista bootup screen showed.

I have the updated bios and all the 1 gig sticks are exactly the same model and make and i can't get that to stop.

Help please?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: A7N8X-E deluxe memory issue
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: A7N8X-E deluxe memory issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Ram issues
by Willy / October 23, 2007 9:59 AM PDT

You probably have a Vista 32-bit version. Any 32-bit OS has issues with ram above 3mb, especially after 3.5gb. MS has knowledgebase releases on this topic. Visit the MS support website and/or their forums for details. What are the results with only 2gbs present?

On top of all this, be sure you have the latest bios update which "may" address this issue at a h/w level. Be sure, that the update is explained for what it does, before attempting this. Also, it does help that all ram are of the same class and type for best overall operation. You can search these forum(s) for ram topics for answers already provided, do a search in the box above provided in C/Net.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Here is MS support link
by Willy / October 23, 2007 10:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Ram issues
Collapse -
To Willy
by BAMJ6 / October 23, 2007 10:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Ram issues

Well it says Vista 32 bit has issues for above 3 GB ram. I'm looking to max it out at 3 GB even.

Plus i have the latest bios and all my 1 gig sticks are exactly the to the brand and model number

Collapse -
Test the two new DIMMs alone with Memtest86+ V1.65
by VAPCMD / October 23, 2007 12:08 PM PDT
In reply to: To Willy

Make sure they're in the right channel RAM slots.

VAPCMD

PS...If you didn't mention what MB you have...suggest posting the info.

Collapse -
Possible fix
by Willy / October 23, 2007 2:50 PM PDT
In reply to: To Willy

Did you try new ram 1gb alone and/or at least the new ram alone? Don't assume, be sure. I use Everest Home Edition to truly review the specs of ram modules. Google for that pgm. source and try it. Can you boot into the bios and see if its stable for that with all 3 installed. You can try also using the Knoppix live CD(linux) and see if it boots, this excludes windoze issues. There still is a 3gb limit issue but if it fails there also, it suggest possible h/w fault or maybe power issue.
Also, I found this topic covered offering a patch/fix:
http://www.vfxpedia.com/index.php?title=FAQ/3GB_Switch

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Review it again
by Willy / October 23, 2007 2:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Possible fix

In my original post, the MS did supply a fix:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929777/en-us

Find the Vista 32-bit update version. Of course, have the working system with 1gb then update. I beleieve that's all you need, if not then you have a h/w fault. Alas, be sure the ram slots are clean as well for clean positive contact.

tada -----Willy

Collapse -
Memtest
by BAMJ6 / October 23, 2007 3:47 PM PDT
In reply to: Review it again

I ran memtest on the 2 new sticks just now and it all passed. no errors. Because of this i now see i need to download that 3GB+ fix so i can use that 1 remaining GB

Collapse -
Now test all the RAM together...then you'll be sure
by VAPCMD / October 24, 2007 11:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Memtest

it all works properly together.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Did It Work?
by DukeMDS / January 11, 2008 2:24 PM PST
In reply to: Memtest

Did you solve this problem? I am having the same issue. The MS memory fix did not solve the issue.

Thanks

Collapse -
Have you tested the RAM with Memtest86+ ?
by VAPCMD / January 12, 2008 5:49 AM PST
In reply to: Did It Work?

After looking at the Asus MB Manual (it states this MB has 4 DIMMs slots ????? with a PIC of the MB directly below showing only 3 DIMM slots) and Asus Support Forum ... it appears this is a memory sensitive or troubled product. Many of the MBs with 4 DIMM slots don't show dual channel operation with 3 DIMMs and I therefore conclude you cannot use 3 DIMMs and run dual channel when/if there are only 3 DIMM slots.

My suggestion, get 2-512MBs (1GB total) or 2-1GB DIMMs (2GB total) going in the dual channel mode and leave it at that.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
A7N8X-E Deluxe, Vista & Memory
by DukeMDS / January 12, 2008 11:58 PM PST

Thanks for your response. Yeah, there are some typos in the MB manual. The MB has 3 DIMM slots. I used the same 3 DIMMS in DDR mode with XP SP2 on this MB and all worked fine. This appears to be a Vista issue.

And, yes, I did check out the memory with memtest.

Currently I am running 2 of the 1 GB DIMMs and the 'puter is working fine. Looking to max memory by adding the 3rd 1 GB DIMM since I work with very large photo files in Photoshop.

Collapse -
Why do you say it must be a Vista issue ?
by VAPCMD / January 13, 2008 2:11 AM PST

Be interested to know if the boot screen shows the system running dual channel with 3 DIMMs.

The thing I always wonder about . . . is the extra RAM worth it performance wise especially when most systems using 3 DIMMs don't run in the dual channel mode.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Vista Issue
by DukeMDS / January 13, 2008 11:48 AM PST

Be interested to know if the boot screen shows the system running dual channel with 3 DIMMs.
REPLY: Yes

The thing I always wonder about . . . is the extra RAM worth it performance wise especially when most systems using 3 DIMMs don't run in the dual channel mode.
REPLY: I believe that it is. When I'm processing multiple LARGE files in Photoshop, it eats memory. The more memory I have, the faster the processing.

As a work-around, I have installed a 1gb SD card that permanently resides in the card reader slot and have implemented ReadyBoost on the SD card. While it does not add to memory, it does seem to improve responsiveness of the system. If I cannot get 3 gb working, I'll live with that solution until I decide to build a quad processor based system later this year.

But I sure would like to get 3 gb working. It's the challenge!

Collapse -
It Must Be Vista
by DukeMDS / January 13, 2008 11:56 AM PST
In reply to: Vista Issue

I say it is a Vista issue because the system worked fine with 3 gb memory when running XP SP2. The upgrade to Vista killed that. If nothing else changed, would not Vista be the prime suspect??

Collapse -
Very strange to say the least ... just for grins,
by VAPCMD / January 13, 2008 12:49 PM PST
In reply to: Vista Issue

might try bumping the RAM voltage to see if that helps.

VAPCMD

PS...Thanks for the feedback.

Collapse -
Voltage Bump
by DukeMDS / January 14, 2008 1:17 AM PST

Tried that, too.

Apparently there are still a lot of these boards in use based on what I see on various forum posts. I've posted a tech inquiry to ASUS. Let's see what they have to say. I'll follow up on this string with whatever they provide.

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond.

Collapse -
Site says
by Dango517 / October 23, 2007 3:21 PM PDT

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!