Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

A week without power

by Steven Haninger / September 20, 2008 10:54 AM PDT

It didn't make national news but hurricane Ike struck as far north as Ohio last Sunday sending category 1 winds through the area. While we had no rain, the 6 hour storm knocked down trees and put about 700,000 people in the dark in central Ohio where we live. It happened that local power crews were sent to Texas where the damage there made ours power look insignificant. We got our power back today after 6 days and there are still plenty more folks who'll need candles an flashlights a while longer. While many are grumbling around here about the slow return to service it's obvious to me that this outage wasn't of the usual "squirrel fry" variety. The chain saw activity clearing downed trees sounds makes it sound like a logging camp around here yet.

All in all...not so bad. The good news is that we were forced to clean out everything in the refrigerator and freezer. All perishables lived up to their reputation....they perished. Of course much of what we found hiding in the fridge and freezer could only be identified as possible science experiments anyway.

Our thanks here go to the Appalachian Power crews and others who came to lend a hand. Thanks, neighbors! Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: A week without power
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: A week without power
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Wow!
by EdHannigan / September 20, 2008 12:09 PM PDT
In reply to: A week without power

We had four days a few winters ago. Very cold. I can't imagine a week.

Collapse -
Maybe should have been longer
by Steven Haninger / September 20, 2008 10:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Wow!

as, after a while, neighbors were actually seen introducing themselves to one another. Happy

Collapse -
Well, we pretty much camped with theh next door neighbors...
by EdHannigan / September 20, 2008 11:02 PM PDT

since they had a coal stove and fireplace. And I managed to get water jugs filled by a local lady who ran a nearby bait shop, which had a generator and pump. So we all pulled together pretty well.

Half the state was affected. There were power company trucks from Canada helping out. They managed to get the power turned on for the top and the bottom of our street, but not the middle section. The guy across the street chased one of the trucks down as they wee starting to pull out, and brought him back so he could set the correct switch on the pole to turn us back on.

Collapse -
Saw that on one of the news broadcasts here.
by drpruner / September 20, 2008 3:32 PM PDT

Might have been BBC World News, though; they catch things.
Glad you survived.
Chicago area also had flooding from Ike.

Collapse -
Ahh, the freezer.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 21, 2008 5:06 AM PDT

Dangerous things they are. Who knows what lurks at the bottom of so many freezers around the world?

I haven't dared go near the bottom of my freezer for years! I might find a mammoth. Devil

Glad you're back online.

Mark

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!