Thank you for being a valued part of the CNET community. As of December 1, 2020, the forums are in read-only format. In early 2021, CNET Forums will no longer be available. We are grateful for the participation and advice you have provided to one another over the years.

Thanks,

CNET Support

General discussion

A website with personal user data

Nov 15, 2010 4:53PM PST

I have my web address (Go Daddy) & I started a web page (wix.com), but then I found out the website does not allow for personal user data. How can I make a website where people can register with my site and have their own page?

Discussion is locked

- Collapse -
Re: website with personal data
Nov 15, 2010 5:11PM PST

That needs programming. I'd start with downloading and studying php and mysql. Then see if your host allows you to host your new site there.

You might be able to find a complete open source site somewhere that suites your needs or only needs minor adjustments. That's faster than programming yourself from scratch.

Kees

- Collapse -
HELP
Nov 16, 2010 12:31AM PST

Thank you so much for that info, but I have no idea what any if that means. LOL I will start looking it up now, but can you break it down for a newbie or give me a specif site to look up?

- Collapse -
Re: php mysql
Nov 16, 2010 4:53AM PST
- Collapse -
Depending on your needs
Nov 16, 2010 6:55AM PST

there many existing content management systems that have such functionality, such as Drupal, Wordpress, Joomla, etc.

Those are self-hosted, so you will need to get a host that let's you install custom software and then I suggest you read about which one meets the requirements you have. You can install all three and test them out. All of them are also free to download and install.

~Sovereign