Speakeasy forum

Praise

A very good discussion on Charlie Rose this afternoon

by Ziks511 / June 28, 2013 8:33 AM PDT

with Alan Rusbridger Editor in Chief of the Guardian newspaper, and Janine Gibson also an editor there and closely involved in the Edward Snowden release of documents regarding NSA and the rest of the Alphabets spying on Americans.

The first and most interesting thing (to me at least) is that Snowden is not Julian Assange, is not a grandstander and his motivation was not personal aggrandizement or any sense of "playing the hero" at all. He spoke to Glenn Greenwald (a lawyer/journalist) and Ms Gibson about this probably ending up with him in jail (or gaol if you're English) but he wasn't going to court martyrdom.

When asked if he had given any documents to the Chinese, he said, "Oh for heaven's sake, if I'd done that I'd be living in a palace in Beijing petting a phoenix." Which they took to mean No.

His entire motivation was to cause a national debate and discussion about the massive erosion of Civil Liberties, particularly the First Amendment which has resulted from the reaction to 9/11 and the Patriot Act. He was appalled and gravely troubled by the change in Americans ability to discuss things freely and without the oversight of Big Brother.

The Guardian sent one of their tough scarred old reporters to assess his character, "a tough Scots Presbyterian who's been a reporter for decades" who apparently came back and said "I think he's just what he claims to be. A very worried young man troubled by changes in American legislation and in American attitudes to freedom of information, freedom of speech, and the fundamental inviolability of the individual.

Regrettably, Libertarianism has been hi-jacked by its conservative adherents, and the Left Liberal believers in LIbertarianism have been pushed out of the nest as if they're not Libertarians at all. Since Saul Alinsky has come up here before, Saul Alinsky is a perfect illustration of a Liberal Libertarian. Anti- big-government very pro Civil Liberties (which also explains the ACLU).

I wish it were common to hear the issues discussed with both the intelligence and the deep commitment both of the British Editors displayed, by the American media. Even the best American newspapers can't touch the Guardian for independence, for intelligence and intellectual rigour and for knowledgability. And American television, can't touch even American newspapers on those criteria.

If there's a way to watch Charlie Rose on-line, I'd very much recommend you watch it, whether you agree with what Edward Snowden did or not. It at least will give you a more realistic view of the issues involved and Mr. Snowden's character as evaluated by the Editors of the Guardian and the Guardian's own wrestling with the idea of publishing "secrets". It would also assure people that the Guardian submitted its intention to publish, and the pages of the Prism documents it intended to publish, and got no complaints from the NSA.

I found their reasoning persuasive, and a remarkable contrast to Robert Novak publishing Valerie Plame's identity. They said that guarding the secrecy of individuals who might come to harm and not putting them in jeopardy was a primary concern.

And what exactly is the situation with Bradley Manning? Is he still being held in jail without charges, what, 3 years after being arrested. There's the Sixth Amendment's assurance of a speedy trial violated for starters besides being deprived of due process.

The praise isn't for what was done, but for the way in which it was done, with care and discussion with the agencies involved and great care for people who might be endangered and great self-examination regarding the principles underlying both British and American ideas of Freedom. Alan Rusbridge is a great proponent for the First Amendment, as opposed to the legal protections in the UK which are not nearly so broad or so liberal. "Prior restraint" is something British papers have to live with.

Rob

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: A very good discussion on Charlie Rose this afternoon
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: A very good discussion on Charlie Rose this afternoon
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?