TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

A/V reciever with Subwoofer output?

Does anybody know of any receivers that have a direct, speaker level, output for a subwoofer. All the models I look at have a pre-amp output, but I need direct level.

Also, if there are no current receivers that provide this, would it be bad to connect a speaker channel to a sub with an in-line lpf?

Thank you for any help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: A/V reciever with Subwoofer output?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: A/V reciever with Subwoofer output?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: A/V reciever with Subwoofer output?

In reply to: A/V reciever with Subwoofer output?

If a receiver has a x.1 spec. I think it means it has a direct subwoofer connection, which most of them do (or did I misunderstood the question?). What is an in-line lpf?

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: A/V reciever with Subwoofer output?

The *.1 means that it has a subwoofer signal output, however it's usually in the form of an RCA pre-amp output. The reason I want a signal level output is so that I do not need an amplified subwoofer (my parents reveiver used to have this feature).

The in-line lpf is a "low pass filter" that goes in-line with the wire. This serves as a filter that allows only low frequency (bass) notes to pass through, so as not to damage the subwoofer.

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: A/V reciever with Subwoofer output?

Now that you mention it; My subwoofer is that way. It has built-in filter so that it doesn't require an subwoofer output on the receiver. Now I wonder if this thing will work with the x.1 receiver or not. If I am to upgrade I will have to think about that now, hehe.

Collapse -

Unfortunatly, there are currently no A/V recivers in the market with a line-level subwoofer output. One of the reasons is that a manufacturer can make a more energy efficient receiver if it sends a passive signal to an amplified subwoofer, than have to include an internal amplifier and send an active signal to a regular subwoofer. You may, however find an older model on e-bay, but it may not have digtal sound decoding features. Good luck.

Collapse -

Most all of the High end recievers have the sub out mine the Sony ES has i am sure a lot more do too.

Collapse -
Re: A/V reciever with Subwoofer output - Answer: HTIB

I have been searching for the same thing. I have two subwoofers that are good quality but are passive. High quality receivers almost never send a speaker level signal to the sub. They always send a preamp signal for an amplified subwoofer. However, most Home Theater Systems (HTIB) have receivers that send an amplified speaker level signal to their subwoofers. You can't purchase those receivers standalone, but maybe you could get one used on craigslist for cheap and discard the low quality speakers. Most HTIB receivers will not have a lot of fancy features like you would expect on a $200-$800 receiver, but some of the higher end ones do have a lot of connections at least. For me personally, I've decided to just use a good receiver and then use a standalone amp for the subwoofer, which after much research, I've found a few on ebay for as cheap as $17-$25. Just browse the following section, sorted by low price, and make sure you buy one that includes an AC adapter for use in the home.

Ebay > Electronics > Home Audio > Amplifiers > Power Amplifiers > 2-Channel

Most of them take RCA inputs and speaker wire outputs. For a subwoofer you would only use one channel.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.