TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

A/V Receiver Recommendation -

by jandrews16 / April 12, 2008 10:53 AM PDT

Putting new home theater system in new room and will place receiver on built-in bookshelf. Want a high-end receiver but don't have much shelf depth - only 15 inches from front to brick wall behind - that's after extending it. Will be routing cables/wires through brick wall (into garage) and back through to TV to keep wires/cables hidden. Hard to find depth specs for many recommended receivers so thought I'd see if there are any recommended ones that are not more than about 13 inches.

Also planning ceiling mounted speakers for rears - any bad drawbacks?

Thanks in advance!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: A/V Receiver Recommendation -
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: A/V Receiver Recommendation -
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That's gonna be very tough
by jostenmeat / April 12, 2008 10:59 AM PDT

I think standard depth on that kind of stuff is 18 inches or so. AND THEN you will want extra space for ventilation.

It appears you are very concerned with install. Which probably precludes you from using 2 fans, one for intake other for exhaust, which your unit might very well need.

I know of no AV receiver that shallow, and have never seen on on-line or in person. Sorry.

For the rears, if they HAVE to be invisible, in-walls are still better than in-ceiling.

ear-level > in-ceiling > in-wall > nothing

Collapse -
oops
by jostenmeat / April 12, 2008 11:21 AM PDT

ear-level > in-wall > in-ceiling > nothing is actually the correct order. Silly

Collapse -
Shallow Depth Reciever Recommendation
by jandrews16 / April 13, 2008 2:52 AM PDT
In reply to: oops

Thanks for the reply. However, I've got an Onkyo in another room and it measures less than 13.5 deep, but I'm looking for something higher quality. Also not concerned about ventilation - plenty of head room to the shelf above - shallow depth shouldn't be an issue.

Anyone else know of high-end A/V receivers that have relatively shallow depth (of course, I'm talking about front to rear, not vertical or horizontal).

Thanks in advance.

Collapse -
ok, more information please
by jostenmeat / April 13, 2008 6:49 AM PDT

I actually have found solutions for depth before, and have posted here. But $$$$$$$

First of all, what does higher quality really mean to you anyways? The amp section?

Did you need HDMI?
Do you need internal hi-def decoders?

I ask because many "hi-end" companies have yet to implement HDMI, let alone hi def decoders.

I would maybe look towards receivers with D class amps. They are much more efficient, and therefore can be much smaller and run cooler. One example of a very hi end brand name with an-all-in-receiver including dvd player is the Meridian G95. The two most salient specs:

- Depth 14"
- Msrp $8,945

Collapse -
Meridian G95 - Holy Crap!
by jandrews16 / April 13, 2008 11:59 AM PDT

I guess by high end I was thinking in the $800 to $1,700 range. The Meridian G95 is entirely too expensive for me. I'm buying the 52" XBR and can't see paying more for a receiver than the amp. Yes, I do want HDMI, but that's widely available. I appreciate your response. Thanks.

Collapse -
Please report what you do find
by jostenmeat / April 13, 2008 12:32 PM PDT

Id be curious. FWIW, the step up brands from your basic big box brands are Rotel and NAD for B&M brands, or Outlaw, Emotiva, for ID brands. I would be very surprised if any of them came that shallow.

Rotel does not have HDMI yet. Neither does Outlaw, maybe at the end of the year. NAD has HDMI, but no internal decoders. So, is HDMI really widely available? Not so much with better brands yet. Anthem has stuff, I beleive no internal decoders, maybe even Krell, but that stuff will blow by $1,700 for sure. I don't think Sunfire, Cambridge, Parasound, etc, have HDMI yet. The brands I've listed above are some of the more common hi end brands. And half of those are considered bang-for-buck. For really hi-end.... HDMI is not widely available.

With basic big box brands, their amps are usually class AB I believe, which means they are large and heavy for anything "high end". Shoot, my mid-line Onkyo 805 is 51 lbs AFAIK.

Collapse -
space
by bevillan / April 14, 2008 12:02 AM PDT

Is there any way you can make your HT shelving deeper or add an extension to it? AVRs and amps just keep getting bigger and heavier as wattage goes up, so it probably would be more rewarding to re-design your shelving than try to find an efficient AVR option to fit your somewhat shallow shelving.

What I think you could do is get a mid or entry level Onkyo or Denon AVR with the HD sound codec decoding that has enough HDMI inputs to your liking and if the power output isn't high enough for what you want, you could get a separate amp to drive your speakers and let your AVR be your pre/pro.

One decent combo could be the Onkyo TX-SR605 + the new Emotiva XPA-5 amp (210 watts/channel). The 605 can be had for as low as $400 (I think) and the Emotiva is $800.

Collapse -
SPACE
by jandrews16 / April 14, 2008 3:33 AM PDT
In reply to: space

Hey, thanks. I will definitely look into the two products you have listed. For sure in my price range.

As for extending the shelf, I've already planned for that - can't remember now, but I think it can be extended out to 16.5" or so. It is next to a fireplace mantel, so don't want it to go as far, or farther than the mantel protrudes, simply due to appearance. I might just have to cut out some brick behind the shelving to accommodate what I want - was obviously hoping not to have to do that!

Thanks again!

Collapse -
a couple of things
by jostenmeat / April 14, 2008 6:11 AM PDT
In reply to: SPACE

firstly, the 605 can't access an outboard amp because it does not have pre-outs. You need at least the 705 to do so. The most affordable receiver with pre-outs with internal decoders is the Yamaha 663. However, I have heard a very strange thing about it not being able to pass "full" range hdmi, which as me boggled to say the least. Just one shopper said this.

OK. I assume you do not have Blu ray yet? You do not need hdmi or internal decoders if you don't have one. If you are taking your time on this, many companies will start coming out with dedicated pre/pros with such support. I expect Rotel and Outlaw by the end of the year. Now, that would be nicer stuff than Onkyo for sure. But, they will be pricier... but it seems you have a healthy budget.

It's something I would seriously consider if I was in your shoes... and didn't have a BDP that demanded bitstreamed hi def audio. And even if it did, waiting might not be a bad idea if you're into better stuff. my 2 cents.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?