TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

A/V Receiver Inputs

If my TV has HDMI and component inputs, is it worth connecting my visuals to my receiver. How does it all work ..

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: A/V Receiver Inputs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: A/V Receiver Inputs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
HDMI will be the future. Now is a maybe.

In reply to: A/V Receiver Inputs

So far HDMI implementation by equipment makers has been hit or miss.

Most favor going straight to the TV by HDMI with video as it doesn't have to be switched, so why introduce an unnecessary intermediate device which might mess up signal purity.

Ideally, buy both component & HDMI modest price cables from easy return places like Sam's Club or Wal-Mart. I think Sam's had Philips brand for $23. Try both connection possibilities to see what works best for your equipment. Return the one you didn't choose.

Collapse -
MORE ON RUNNING VIDIO DIRECT

In reply to: A/V Receiver Inputs

I run all my vidio direct to the t.v. and audio using optical cable. doing it this way you fine tune all your inputs on the t.v. sepertly. The only drawback is you have to switch inputs on your t.v. and amp no big deal . also an amp without h.d.m.i. switching cost much less good l;uck stewee

Collapse -
So basically..

In reply to: MORE ON RUNNING VIDIO DIRECT

.. the only benefit of a HDMI input on a receiver is if I am going to be running video through it?

I put all my video direct to my TV and all audio to the receiver ..

Collapse -
Yep. . .

In reply to: So basically..

and a waste of money. As was mentioned, run your HDMI to the TV and audio to the amp/receiver. As is my setup:

HD satellite HDMI to TV, digital optical audio to receiver.
HD DVD player HDMI to TV, digital coax audio to receiver.
Over the Air antenna split, one connection to TV (with HD tuner), other end to satellite receiver. Reason - HD sound sometimes on OTA will play from receiver.

Ta-Da.

Collapse -
sweet

In reply to: Yep. . .

this saves me a few hundred dollars

Thanks alot

Collapse -
HDMI confusion

I have a similar issue to resolve with my Comcast Cable Box (set to 1080i)/Pioneer VSX-1016TX Receiver/Panasonic 1080i Plasma. When I purchased all this stuff my intention was to hang the Plasma over the fireplace and run a single long HDMI cable to the set from my receiver. Then all my components of various vintages and cabling needs(Cable box w/dvr, DVD,Roku audio, etc) would run into the receiver box and I would have a clean area at the hanging screen. I'm not getting an image on my Plasma and I'm trying to figure out why. I wrote Pioneer and had the following (irritating) discourse:

I just purchased a VSX-1016TXV-K I have a Panasonic TYH50PX600U plasma screen which is 1080i compatible. When I hook the two up via HDMI I get a blank screen. I'm thinking it is because my receiver is 1080p and monitor is 1080i.
So question 1- would that cause the "no picture" problem?
question 2 - is the VSX-1016TXV-K capable of downgrading to a 1080i or 760i or p signal so I can use the HDMI cable from receiver to screen?

PIONEER - What was your source? DVD or SAT?

My source was a Comcast Digital Cable Box with DVR (DCT3412 I). It is
connected to the Receiver through component cables. I hooked the comcast directly to the Plasma screen via the same HDMI cable and it worked fine. I don't have a second HDMI to hook Comcast to Receiver and Receiver to TV at the same time. I can certainly get one if it will work.

PIONEER - Make sure the HDMI firmware in the cable box is 1.1 or 1.2 firmware. If the 1.0 HDI fro cable boxes will not pass through the VSX-1016TX.

I can check with Comcast on the format.
But I need to understand this, you said "the 1.0 HDI fro cable boxes will not pass through the VSX-1016TX". So the HDMI signal is suppose to "pass through" the receiver. Does this mean the VSX-1016TX can't generate HDMI from the component signal? If that is the case then how will my other non-HDMI-components get their signal to the screen via the HDMI cable?

PIONEER - No, it means you need a new cable that will send a repeat signal to ANY receiver to please pass the video signal on to the TV set.

You're making this pretty difficult with such short incomplete answers. Please exert yourself a bit by providing more information so we can get this to a conclusion. What sort of cable will send a repeat signal and what does it hook up to? Is it a cable in addition to an HDMI or a different type of HDMI cable? I think your answer to my question "Does this mean the VSX-1016TX can't generate HDMI from the component signal?" was NO. That means your receiver CAN generate HDMI from other video/audio signals? If that is the case I shouldn't need this "repeat signal" generated for each component as there is nothing to pass on until the HDMI gets generated. My DVD is currently connected to the Pioneer via component cables. The sound is coming through fine but the image is blank, just like the cable box. I routed the component signal to the input switch for DVD/LD as recommended in the manual so I don't think that is what's causing the problem.

Collapse -
Comcast Cable and HDMI repeater issue

In reply to: HDMI confusion

I have the New Onkyo 674 which upconverts to and passes through HDMI signals. When I attempted to the DVI port and a a DVI to HDMI cable, my tv displayed a message which stated that the Comcast box detected and will not allow for repeated signals.

I then switched to component cables and it works fine.

I have my flat panel LCD mounted over my fireplace (don't worry- it's safe). When I boxed out the wall and installed the bracket, using the Onkyo allowed my to run only two lines. One was power and the other a single HDMI cable. That's the beauty of using a receiver. In addition, all my components are on the adjacent wall allowing for a very clean looking room.

As far as extra cables are concerned, I don't really have any more than I would have needed (with exception of the single 25' HDMI *$50 at TigerDirect* connection to from the monitor to the receiver).

As for the person looking into the firmware of their Comcast Cable box, please post anything you find. I'd be very interested.

Collapse -
Comcast Cable and HDMI repeater issue

In reply to: Comcast Cable and HDMI repeater issue

Nice to hear that the Onkyo supplied an error message to give you a clue. I finally got my error message from a well informed tech at ABT, the place I bought my Panasonic plasma screen from. He told me Comcast is the source of my problem and, as you stated, it is the result of the signal being sent on to the screen from the reciever. The Comcast box thinks its an attempt at piracy and shuts the signal off. He said all receivers have the problem except one Sony unit (I can't remember the model. Since I already have one it doesn't help much). I also discovered that my Pioneer receiver is not capable of generating a digital HDMI signal from an analog input. That was another surprise. I had assumed it would. And based on the above info from the Pioneer tech it would be a surprise to him as well. The ABT guy said there wasn't a receiver on the market for less than $1K that would generate digital HDMI. That makes the appropriate cabling to the screen COMPONENT as you said. That is what I installed and it works fine. I did a quick test of HDMI vs Component and could see a minor improvemnt in image quality.
Comcast has yet to explain itself or to identify the source of my problem as something caused by their system. They must use the same training techniques as Pioneer.

Collapse -
HDMI issues

In reply to: Comcast Cable and HDMI repeater issue

Some here have stated HDMI is not ready for prime time use. That really is not the case. The issues with HDMI are almost always caused by a brand not ensuring their output meets the certification.

A company called SimplayHD offers a certification and approval process. If your equipment has their stickers, I would bet money you will not have any HDMI issues.

Collapse -
Hdmi Pass through

In reply to: HDMI confusion

Comcast boxes do not allow passthrough of any video signal. They try and deny it but it is true.It makes sense since if you could you could make copies of pay fopr view movies etc. I was told by a video rep that there is away of changing the setup on the box via the hand held control ??if any one know how to get into the correct menu to change the video block

Collapse -
H.D.M.I. AMP SWITCHING PROBLEM SOLVED

H.d.m.i. switchers solve the problem I have a 3 way Gifin switcher for my Sony Blue ray player, DENON d.v.d. player, and Dish Hi-def system Does not need a power source draws power from amp standby and comes with a remote control Going this way I dont worry about h.d.m.i. pass thru on amp and saved money on my Denon Amp because I bought it without h.d.m.iu. switching. stewe

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.