HolidayBuyer's Guide

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

A/V

by Paulb9 / February 27, 2008 4:03 AM PST

I need to replace my Sony home theater. My question is my PC and cable box connect via DVI. Is this a problem? I am ready to spend $1,000 for the right receiver but I am somewhat a neophite.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: A/V
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: A/V
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by givemeaname / February 27, 2008 4:19 AM PST
In reply to: A/V

I don't think I have ever see a receiver in Any price range or brand with a DVI port.
Ask your cable campany for a Cable card with HDMI or is does your tv only have DVI?? For you computer, does your TV have a DVI port for PC??? then you can run audio outs from your computer to the receiver or a PC surround sound system.

DVI on tv's has been out dated about 4 years now. A few brand tv's will have HDMI for tv usage & DVI for PC usage, DVI ports on tv's has mostly been fazed out about 2-3 years ago & replaced with HDMI.

Collapse -
A/V Receiver
by Paulb9 / February 27, 2008 6:30 AM PST
In reply to: ......

My question is I have a HDTV with HDMI input. But, my PC and Cable box output only DVI. Is there a receiver that accepts this and how can I connect the audio?

Collapse -
Monoprice
by jostenmeat / February 27, 2008 5:06 AM PST

sells very affordable DVI-HDMI cables. I put them in my bro's sytem for his cable box and comp.

No audio though, you'll need shotgun audio connections.

Otherwise, no problemo at all.

Collapse -
What I would do
by bevillan / February 27, 2008 6:36 AM PST

I'd call your cable company and ask to get a HDMI cable box. They are replacing all the DVI ones with HDMI ones (at least Comcast and Turner are). So then you could run HDMI from your cable box to your TV or receiver (depending on HDMI handshake issues).

Then I'd just get a HDMI to DVI converter cable from monoprice, as suggested, to go from your PC to your receiver.

And if you are willing to spend $1000 on a receiver, check out the Onkyo TX-SR805. It has the latest version of HDMI (v1.3) and is considered to be one of the few 'future-proof' receivers available. You can get it from $700-$800 on most sites.

Collapse -
A/V Receiver
by Paulb9 / February 27, 2008 6:46 AM PST
In reply to: What I would do

Unfortunaly, I live in Costa Rica and cannot get a STB with HDMI. Only DVI. I am considering the 805 but do not know if it can correctly route the Audio for the DVI?

Collapse -
Hmm
by bevillan / February 27, 2008 6:49 AM PST
In reply to: A/V Receiver

Well in that case you might have to get another HDMI to DVI converter cable to run from the cable box (for video) to the receiver and then a digital optical audio cable to run from the cable box to the receiver (for audio). And since cable only broadcasts, at best, in DD5.1, the optical cable should be fine. Only downside is that you have 2 cables instead of one, but not a big deal in my opinion. And when your cable company finally gets HDMI boxes you would be ready to upgrade if you had the 805.

Collapse -
A/V receiver
by Paulb9 / February 27, 2008 6:58 AM PST
In reply to: Hmm

bearvp Thanks a lot! I was just worried about Spending that kind of money and it not working.

Collapse -
you can do it but...
by Dabonka1 / February 29, 2008 5:43 AM PST
In reply to: A/V Receiver

using a HDMI/DVI conversion cable. Unfortunately, some of the newer, higher end audio codecs like True HD and DTS MA {from what I understand} can only be sent via bitstream {uncompressed} to the reciever through the HDMI connection. DVI does NOT carry any audio at all. You would need to send the audio through other channels, for instance Dolby Dig and DTS can be sent through either the optical or dig coax output on your cable box {or god forbit lol red/white stereo connections}. But not the high end codecs, as they take up too much bandwidth for optical or dig coax {def red/whites}. Which is the major benefit of the 805 from my gathering... for that save a few and get the 605. Good luck, either way!!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.