General discussion

A unique XP problem I have? Right-clicking depletes memory.

Well, I've looked on google in a million different ways to try to find why a certain something happens to my computer and so far no one seems to have ever had the problem mine has.

It has always had this problem. The problem is that as soon as I restart the computer, there is a limited number of right clicks I can make before the computer crashes. I haven't counted exactly how many but it's 100 or something. Once the computer has exceeded this supposed right-click quota, Windows XP gives me weird messages saying I don't have enough memory to do anything. Like when I try to open paint, it says it could not open paint because there is not enough memory. I attempt to open my ISP and it doesn't work either.

I have 256 MB RAM, and the only things I usually have active on my task bar thing are Norton Antivirus autoprotect and my ISP. But when I repeatedly right-click from copying and pasting, or to get the properties of a file or the source of a website or something, it apparently slowly depletes the memory every click... But when I restart the computer it seems fine until I start right-clicking again. Does anyone know how and why this happens and any ways to fix it?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: A unique XP problem I have? Right-clicking depletes memory.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: A unique XP problem I have? Right-clicking depletes memory.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Read...
- Collapse -
Huh?...

Sorry, I'm kind of stupid. Could you rephrase that please? ...I didn't quite understand what that has to do with anything... thanks for your help though. I just want it clarified a bit since I'm not really good at this stuff...

- Collapse -
The right click...

Causes these items to load. You can use this tool to look over the list and using what you know you added that broke it to selectively disable items until you find it.

Other clues will be in the EVENT VIEWER. The EVENT VIEWER can be explored in START, HELP AND SUPPORT and google.com

Also, you didn't tell much about the machine, how you deal with SPYWARE or what else was asked in the forum tip.

As such, I offer the most likely.

Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info