Speakeasy forum

General discussion

A True Confession

by James Jones / April 15, 2005 4:47 PM PDT

I read an article on the internet about "dumpster-diving." Gone are the days of the "grocery cart Lady" ...I mean, where?s the shame folks! Well, there is none, really. In the Capitol Hill neighborhood of downtown Denver dumpster diving is part of it's thriving sub-culture. You see us every where. Wearing often mismatched and gaudy ensembles with hats kinda like a ragamuffin doll. But you may not think that dumpster diving can be a pretty nice little profit making strategy. You can have garage sales with the good stuff that you find. Or sell them at the Flee Market, You can often pawn VCR?S and TV?S.

The story inspired me to confess that I am a dumpster diver also and to make an exhaustive list of the things that I have found. Here is proof...

Stuff that I found in the dumpster:

Laptop Computer (with no password so I was able to boot it up and sell it for a bag of weed- just kidding! about the weed, that is).

Computer Monitor (it was a real dandy monitor!)

Alarm Clock Radio in perfect condition (antique I would say!)

Back Pack (I?m a back packer! Don?t know how many of those I have found but lets just say that I was always able to carry my goodies in one).

CD?S Techno/Dance/Trance/Garage (were talking about Capitol Hill neighborhood, Capitol of the "Metro sexual" and the Gen x. ok?)

Large Patio Umbrella (for the porch during garage sales)

Books (mostly student curriculum) but hey I could use these!

Clothes (sox, shoes, jeans, shorts, shirts, woman?s cloths (for the garage sale, alright!). The whole ensemble!

Dishes (plates, bowls, saucers, cups, pots, pans, yes cups, you can wash them real good! BONG?S, The whole shabang!)

Money. Yes, money!

VCR?S (I like to pawn those, seriously! I have gotten $35 for VCR?s.

Sony Walkmans (couldn?t count how many!)

Head sets (coming out of my ears. Forgive the pun!)

Cassettes, 8Traks! (the best of Simon and Garfunkle, arrrgh!

Arts and Crafts (paintings, prints, etc.)

Computer Desk (the wood is a little bowed up from getting wet. But that?s ok cause my new glasses warp my eye sight any way so it actually looks straight, until I look real close. I kept this item)

Furniture (chairs, tables, shelves, etc.)

Jewelry (necklace?s, bracelets, rings, etc. hot sellers at the Garage Sale or the Flee Market!).

House Plants (that?s really cruel to abandon your house plants!)

Microwave?s (like new!)

I almost forgot...TV?s

Ceiling Fans, Lamps (garage sale).

And Area Rugs

Bathroom Stuff

Tools, (screw drivers ,wrenches, etc.)

God knows what else! I could write volumes!

I hope this has been as helpful to you as it has been for me.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: A True Confession
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: A True Confession
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Do you think we could
by Steven Haninger / April 15, 2005 11:29 PM PDT
In reply to: A True Confession

all place orders through you??:)

Collapse -
I know a family that does this. The coolest thing I saw
by Kiddpeat / April 16, 2005 12:42 AM PDT

was a small motorized bike that the kids fixed up and drove in the woods. People really do throw out some nice things if you want to spend the time looking. Wink

Collapse -
There is a show...
by Angeline Booher / April 16, 2005 12:54 AM PDT

....on HGTV that has a feature re: making something new out of something old, and much of what they use are dumpster-diving finds.

Pity you weren't around when I moved. I didn't have time to have a yard sale. I gave some things to the Salvation Army that I know they want. The rest was trucked off by a company that does that.

In it were about 3 dozen, LP albums, a floor buffer, a vacuum cleaner, tools, really old National Geographics, books, my personal child's table and chair set that was 65 years old (needed gluing back together), golf clubs with wooden shafts- my husband's from the late '40s, antique typewriter, and many other goodies. That company later sorts through stuff suitable for resale.

I gave my cherished collection of '78 records to the driver. Nobody else wanted them, but he did, and appreciated them.

Angeline

click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
It appears there is
by MarciaB / April 16, 2005 1:38 AM PDT

quite a following of this sport/hobby/career (?). Happy

The definitive source:
http://www.dumpsterworld.com/

http://www.allthingsfrugal.com/dumpster.htm

There's actually a book you can buy - but it would likely be more rewarding to find it in a dumpster Wink
http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Union/7807/

If you are bored with AA meetings and your local book club, you can join up with one of these DD groups:
http://dumpsterdiving.meetup.com/

Even the FBI finds it interesting:
http://www.pimall.com/nais/n.dumpster.html

Have a good day, and thanks for the humor, James
--Marcia

Collapse -
My brother does this
by EdH / April 16, 2005 3:10 AM PDT

Well, he doesn't dumpster dive; he cruises the streets of the upscale community on trash day and retrieves stuff people put out on the curb. He's gotten microwaves, VCRs, printers and even a dishwasher once. He's good at appliance repair and says that usually all that needs to be done (if anything) is to replace a faulty switch or power cord.

Some people throw stuff away if it gets a scratch or the color no longer matches their decor.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!