Speakeasy forum

General discussion

A totally useless question here.....

by lylesg / September 21, 2004 10:12 AM PDT

Why did Billie Joe Mcallister jump off the Tallahatchie Bridge and what did he and the young girl throw into the muddy water below?

I was asked this question today and I scratched my head for a bit trying to decide if I should rofl and all the while the words to the song (the few broken verses I could recall) rolled through my head -- "pass the biscuits please, pass the blackeyed peas, nothin? ever comes to no good up on Choctaw Ridge, he never had a lick of sense anyhow, Carol County Picture show, into the muddy water off the Tallahatchie Bridge....?

Finally I said, I haven't a clue...just a nut I guess.

After Googlin', I am not sure anyone knows why/what.

I can't be sure why I looked it up either. lol

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: A totally useless question here.....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: A totally useless question here.....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: A totally useless question here.....
by jonah jones / September 21, 2004 10:34 AM PDT

he jumped out of remorse, they threw an illegitimate baby into the river....

Collapse -
Re: A totally useless question here.....
by lylesg / September 21, 2004 11:03 AM PDT

Good theory, johan.

I think remorse is right, but I can't be sure about them tossing a baby, but it's possible. I'm wondering if they were only tossing flowers?

Collapse -
No One Knows
by C1ay / September 21, 2004 11:24 AM PDT

Ode to Billy Joe was a hit song in 1967 by Bobbie Gentry, a singer from Chickasaw County, Mississippi. Said to be based on a true story, the song (later a book and movie), recounts the night of June 3, 1953, when Billy Joe McAllister jumped off the Tallahatchie Bridge. The song is noteworthy for the mystery surrounding his reasons for jumping off the bridge, which Ms. Gentry has never revealed.

Wikipedia entry
Lyrics

Collapse -
Re: If its of any help to you mojo...:)
by Rolway / September 22, 2004 6:56 AM PDT

Billy Joe (Robby Benson) confesses his love to the lovely Bobbi Lee (Glynnis O'Connor) only to cover his growing fear that he may, in fact, be homosexual. One night, at a barn dance, he gets a little drunk and rather than going with the hired whores, gives into his desires and sexual relations with an unnamed man. The guilt causes him to run away, hide in the woods and eventually confess everything to Bobbi Lee who doesn't want to believe him only because she was enjoying the forbidden nature of their love. In the end, he cannot accept his sexuality nor can he hide behind Bobbi Lee and that's why he throws himself off the Tallahachee bridge.

Its also said it was a Rag Doll Benjamin they threw off the bridge.

http://www.moviepooper.com/2/771.html

Collapse -
Why isn't Billie Joe really Billy Joe?
by RB2D2 / September 22, 2004 10:08 AM PDT
Collapse -
I thank you all for your input......
by lylesg / September 23, 2004 10:30 AM PDT

I think I?ll just put this one in the big thick file I call ?Things I don?t Know?.

However, Jonah may be right, they may have been tossing an aborted fetus and he jumped our of remorse.

G. Rolway pretty much goes along with the twist that Hollywood put on it

Ros, the Billie vs. Billy does bring on other notions and Hollywood played on that one.

Clay?s information confirms my thoughts. I?m filing this one.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?