Laptops forum

General discussion

A time to die?

by acar1 / January 15, 2009 12:25 AM PST

Thanks for reading this.
I have a Dell Inspiron 600m purchased in 2003. Admittedly, maintenance has been haphazard at best, but it was doing the job well enough until a couple years ago. I put off reinstalling the OS (Windows XP Pro) until last fall when a tech friend took a look and prognosd, "It's toast." We reinstalled XP anyway and cleaned out all the malware. We updated network connections (and my DSL modem, also old) but we lost the integrated sound card in the process. With the motherboard so compromised, anyone care to speculate on how much longer this poor old machine has before she gives up the ghost? So you know, I'm not a heavy duty user, just a music travel writer with lowres media needs (no video, some field recordings). All advice welcome. - Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: A time to die?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: A time to die?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Look in this forum.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 15, 2009 12:31 AM PST
In reply to: A time to die?

The question was asked "How long does a laptop last?"

Answers varied from "3 feet to the pavement" to some number of years. Not a single reply said these things were much over 4 years of expected life.

-> Your post writes the motherboard was compromised but I can't tell how you can to that conclusion.

The answer is sadly it will last till it doesn't work or fulfill your needs. The real question is will you lose anything if the laptop simply vanished? That is, how good is your backup plan?
Bob

Collapse -
time to die?
by acar1 / January 15, 2009 3:26 AM PST
In reply to: Look in this forum.

Thanks, Bob. I know there is no clear answer to the general question, but thought a ballpark might be guestimated for this particular case. Motherboard compromised because the integrated sound card is caput. I'm no expert, but know enough to suspect that when things start breaking down, it's just a matter of time, particularly in view of all the problems it's had in the last couple of years that finally caused Dell's tech folks to recommend reinstalling the OS which is a fairly big deal and typically recommended as a last resort. Hence, my advisor's toast judgment. He didn't even want to risk an OS reinstall that could wipe out a costly, critical app that I can't afford to replace. In the end, that didn't happen. He now recommends creating a dual boot(XP and Vista)to preserve the app on a new machine, an expense that won't be feasible until at least next fall. (My data is always backed up externally.) Anyway, I got the message. I'll just be careful about maintenance and hope for the best. thanks for your help.

Collapse -
Did you want sound?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 15, 2009 3:53 AM PST
In reply to: time to die?
Collapse -
Do I want sound?
by acar1 / January 15, 2009 9:01 AM PST
In reply to: Did you want sound?

Yes, I want sound. Sorry that wasn't clear. The device you pointed me to looks exactly right for sound via headphones. Can't hurt to try, so thanks. I also want to be able to make and edit audio (voice and music) files from field recordings, but that's another discussion.

Did I pun you? Sorry, not that clever when the subject is cash. Anyway, most of my puns are unintended, if I even catch them which I don't in this case. I only meant that it will take me that long to save enough for a new machine after saving until May for a priority auto repair. Without wheels, I have no life.

Collapse -
The pun was...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 15, 2009 9:22 AM PST
In reply to: Do I want sound?

In my first reply I noted the 3 feet to the pavement and you write "till next fall" so I took that as your play on words.

Sorry if that was unintentional but I thought it was great.

I think that device has a Microphone input but I didn't test that feature. It was mainly to correct an issue with a system that we couldn't get the onboard sound to function.
Bob

Collapse -
Punny
by acar1 / January 16, 2009 12:24 AM PST
In reply to: The pun was...

Lost the narrative arc, there, did I? Good to know someone's wits are still intact.

I'll see how it goes and post the result.

Thanks, again, Bob.

Ann C.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!