Mac OS forum

General discussion

a switcher..

by kafeepot / April 5, 2005 8:40 AM PDT

Hello all,

Another typical switcher questions..
i have been using a PC since ever...but after coming to USA and working in a research lab (dominated by Macs) i am wondering to switch over. But macs seem to be expensive --i am interested in the 15'' powerbook---will be going into the teaching profession.

I was curious about Mac services in India!! Does anyone know anything about this??? Macs have still not gained popularity in india and hence i am a little apprehensive about buying one and taking it back to india by next year.

Also are Mac processors really faster than their PC contemprories. For instance, i have heard that a 1.3GHz processor of Mac is equivalent to a 2.6GHz processor of a PC.

ANy suggestions will be thoroughly appreciated ,thank you

kafeepot

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: a switcher..
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: a switcher..
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Call Apple
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 5, 2005 9:25 AM PDT
In reply to: a switcher..

Just a guess, but I think that the only ones who can tell you anything about the Apple presence in India would be Apple themselves.
there are those that would say that a 1.3 Ghz G5 is as fast, if not faster, than the 2.6 Ghz from Intel. Such tests can be skewed in either direction and it depends entirely on what you are actually measuring and what you are doing when you measure it.

800-692-7793 should get you all the information you need

Hope this helps

P

Collapse -
thanks
by kafeepot / April 6, 2005 12:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Call Apple

thank you macfixit.

my usage will mainly involve word,powerpoint,excel and internet browsing ,apart from downloading pics and music.
recently i transferred a powerpoint presentation from the lab mac with OS X to my PC --but some of the slides could not be opened. Does this problem occur everytime----i know that word documents didnt pose any problem with msn office 2003(PC), but am not so sure about transferring powerpoint presentations from a mac to windows---any suggestions on that.
also i have noticed that macs dont have a right click and a backspace!!!! so have to adjust to that too!!

kafeepot

Collapse -
PowerPoint
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 6, 2005 4:10 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks

Some things do not transfer gracefully. These are usually because of the Font differences. It's getting better though. You just need to apply a little thought to the project. I move PowerPoint between platforms without too much difficulty.
OS X supports a two button mouse, no software required, but if you continue to use the one button variety, the Control key will act as the Right button modifier. Just because it is not labeled as Backspace, it is still there. It's in the same place as the PC keyboard Backspace and marked "delete". Pressing it will delete by moving to the left, while the "del" key will delete moving to the right.
Hope you get your support worries sorted out

P

Collapse -
thanks...again
by kafeepot / April 6, 2005 7:11 AM PDT
In reply to: PowerPoint

thank you mrmacfixit---ur true to ur name!!!
anyways--thanks to you, i will be pretty soon buying an iBook or a Powerbook,hopefully the wallet permits!!!
and join the 'blue screen of life' club

kafeepot

Collapse -
Delete key
by marysmac / April 7, 2005 10:56 PM PDT
In reply to: PowerPoint

If you do decide to get a PowerBook, the function key in combination with the delete key will delete going forward.

Collapse -
You'll probably do OK
by TheRogu3Pen / April 7, 2005 4:15 AM PDT
In reply to: a switcher..

The tech support # might be a local call

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!