Computer Newbies forum

Tip

A suitable parental control software for Windows

I have a very small child and I'm preparing an older laptop with Windows 7 for her, with all the bells and whistles that kids enjoy, while trying to block any browsers or other internet programs, as well as system setting so she doesn't end up killing Windows or the pc. The big problem here is that Windows Family settings does not achieve everything I have in mind. There are some companies who make some wild claims, like they can offer an veritable operating system for kids like these guys http://www.magicdesktop.com/ and before I get into this, has anyone had experience with this product? Is it safe? If I ask them, they'll surely say yes, so I'm looking for some non-biased opinion and perhaps any suitable alternatives for me to consider. There is really not much in the way of kid-friendly solutions out there, which is rather depressing.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: A suitable parental control software for Windows
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: A suitable parental control software for Windows
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
We have open discussions on parental controls.

In reply to: A suitable parental control software for Windows

Collapse -
Thanks for nothing.

In reply to: We have open discussions on parental controls.

The problem with most of these various approaches is that it is assumed the child is either a tween or teen. My child is 5 years old. I want a system that is suitable to teach her how to use computers in a safe environment. Windows is not and will never be child friendly to that extent.

Parenting is important, obviously, that was not the question I asked to begin with. People on the internet are so gung-ho on giving tips on how to raise your kids that I find it, quite frankly, obnoxious. I know the way I want to raise my child, and my concerns with her safety and to introduce her to computers are my own, not based on someone else's standards. I hope this gives people who read this some degree of insight on how to be helpful without veering into the sanctimonious, because I've looked for help in other places, and this response is insistently prevalent. Doesn't seem very nice or appropriate to me, so no, that thread is inadequate.

Given the lack of input, I went ahead and tested the solution I mentioned before. Taking a chance surely since I don't know this company's reputation and the internet is scarce on info on these guys. But lo and behold, it does EVERYTHING mentioned in this thread you directed me to, with the added benefit of making Windows into a preschooler's playpen, with plenty of exercises to get my daughter acquainted with the mouse and keyboard. I'm still exploring, but I already find the program approval and reward system in place to be just about the best thing there is to discipline my daughter into prioritizing her responsabilities vs her fun. The browser is completely locked, so it's up to me what pages she can visit as well.

Most parents might disagree with me, and that's fine, I don't presume to know for the rest of them what's best for their kids' upbringing. But I personally like this.

What I wanted was objectivity here regarding whether I should take a chance with this product. What I got was a dismissive response that directed me to a thread that failed at answering my question, while giving me morals on how I should raise my kids. Unwelcome.

Collapse -
In the thread R. Proffitt mentioned

In reply to: Thanks for nothing.

I posted this Linux based distro named DoudouLinux . It's just what you asked for,
"I want a system that is suitable to teach her how to use computers in a safe environment."

Have a look here => http://www.doudoulinux.org/web/english/index.html

DoudouLinux is specially designed for children to make computer use as easy and pleasant as possible for them (and for their parents too! , while taking care of children self-fulfillment. DoudouLinux provides tens of applications that suit children from 2 to 12 years old and gives them an environment as easy to use as a gaming console. Kids can learn, discover and have fun without Dad and Mum always watching!

Digger

Collapse -
Thanks for something.

In reply to: Thanks for nothing.

Your response is in line with how this question goes when put up on the internet. You can find this pattern over and over and sadly looking at your reply it fits one of the patterns where the person who asked lashes back at others about it not being the answer.

THERE ARE APPLICATIONS that don't allow exiting the application (from now on I'll shorten this to "app.") And that is good for letting a child on the PC. This is not consider "parental control" but rather an age appropriate app.
Bob

Collapse -
Problem solved

In reply to: Thanks for something.

The application is just as you describe it, this is one of those. I've used it for the past week and it is indeed a kid-friendly app that handles parental control in a way that is confortable and intuitive for people who don't have a lot of time to manage this sort of thing.

As far as safety goes, I find no issues here. The password is something my kid will never figure out, so that makes him stay inside the "playpen" using the stuff I approved for him. Perhaps you should include this thread when advising people, since it doesn't take the amount of time the other solutions require, and to some people, that is a point of relevance.

Collapse -
Never say never. 5 year old cracked XBOX One security.

In reply to: Problem solved

Collapse -
There are dozens of parental controls programs in the net...

In reply to: A suitable parental control software for Windows

Some of them has White list...
Only programs from this list will be allowed on kids PC...
You can try KidWatch or Time Boss Pro,,,

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.