Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

A strange occurrence, care to comment?

by Coryphaeus / August 3, 2004 9:26 AM PDT

Because of a problem I was having and discussed in Networking, I needed to disable the onboard NIC on my motherboard and install a separate PCI NIC. (I have since fixed the problem and went back to the onboard NIC.) But here's the strange thing.

I booted to the BIOS and disabled the onboard LAN. Powered off and installed the PCI NIC. I plugged my Ethernet cord into the new NIC and clicked ok. Rebooted and as XP started to load I get this new popup window that said, in essence:

Windows has detected major hardware changes. Windows XP must be reactivated. You have three days to complete this activation.

'Scuse me!? This is before XP had fully booted.

I plugged in the Ethernet cord into the new NIC and clicked ok. Now another window saying XP could not establish a connection. After two more "Try again" clicks, I canceled it and let XP fully boot.

After a full boot, and the discovery of the new NIC, I go to Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, and clicked on Activate Windows. It does in an instant with my cable connection.

Why would changing the NIC constitute a major hardware change?

Everything is hunky-dory now, just thought I'd share this.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: A strange occurrence, care to comment?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: A strange occurrence, care to comment?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: A strange occurrence, care to comment?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 3, 2004 9:46 AM PDT

I've triggered it with video card, BIOS updates and more or less!

MS doesn't document this area well.

Bob

Collapse -
Wayne, care to read some more?
by FrankQTran / August 3, 2004 10:19 AM PDT
Collapse -
by Steven Haninger / August 3, 2004 10:35 AM PDT

I, too, have had a similar experience. The on board NIC died on one of our PCs and I had to install an add in. Some minor hardware changes had been made but this one pushed it over the edge requiring a reactivation. What I do read about the "hardware hash" used by XP that certain devices carry more weight than others and the NIC is one of them. What I do not know is if it would have helped if I would have "uninstalled" the bad NIC first before putting in the new one. Maybe XP would have forgiven my sin but will never know.

Collapse -
by Cetin Denislam / August 3, 2004 7:37 PM PDT

>>What I do not know is if it would have helped if I would have "uninstalled" the bad NIC first before putting in the new one.<<

For NIC, Windows XP monitors MAC address which is unique. So, it doesn't matter if you uninstalled it before inserting the new card.

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
by Cetin Denislam / August 3, 2004 7:37 PM PDT

>>Why would changing the NIC constitute a major hardware change?<<

You certainly had other changes before the last one. So, changing NIC plus the other previous changes exceeded the algorithm's limit and that triggered the activation procedure.

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
Nope, no changes. . .
by Coryphaeus / August 4, 2004 7:14 AM PDT

Machine is just like it was the day I activated XP. Unless you count adding a DVD burner drive. At least none that I can think of.

Oh well, it's working like a champ.

Collapse -
If DVD replaced the previous CD-ROM drive it counts ? (NT)
by Cetin Denislam / August 4, 2004 9:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Nope, no changes. . .

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Well, it's just too picky. ;-)
by Coryphaeus / August 5, 2004 10:31 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.