Speakeasy forum

General discussion

A statement of belief from a magician.

by Dan McC / December 12, 2006 11:27 PM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: A statement of belief from a magician.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: A statement of belief from a magician.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Here's one from a filmaker....
by C1ay / December 13, 2006 12:21 AM PST

Door To Door Atheists Bother Mormons

Australian filmmaker John Safran is so fed up with mormons ringing his doorbell early in the morning that he flies to Salt Lake City Utah and tries to convert Mormons to atheism. Needless to say, the locals were not pleased.

More...

Collapse -
Do you have a link to a non-video version?
by drpruner / December 18, 2006 7:56 AM PST

BTW, Mormons generally go to pre-selected homes, people who have answered an ad.
We go on our cold calls as early as 9:00 AM (usually more like 9:30), which is "early in the morning" for some (especially entertainment types). Think he meant JWs?

Collapse -
No....
by C1ay / December 18, 2006 9:04 AM PST

I picked that link up from TheologyForums.net but there's no transcript I'm aware of. Basically John Safran, a film producer in Australia, is tired of the Mormons there knocking on his door early in the morning. As a result he prints up some pamphlets on atheism, has a couple of badges made and flies off with a friend to Salt Lake City, the home of the Church of Later Day Saints so he can do the same in return. He must of struck a nerve because a lot of them shut the door in his face pronto.

Collapse -
when you create a reality within reality
by WOODS-HICK / December 13, 2006 12:44 AM PST

pull white rabbits out of your hat and follow your imagination unbridled by others you are not afraid '... to not beg the invisible for more'.

I have believed for many years that we should spend our lives creating a heaven on earth, then if there is a heavenly reward, it will be granted without question.

it would make the day-to-day more pleasant and revive the innocence of wonder we are born with.

Collapse -
That's a common thought, and a pleasant one,
by drpruner / December 18, 2006 7:58 AM PST

but Jesus says it ain't gonna happen. (Mt 7:21~)

His way is Ps 37:10,11,28,29. Would that kind of world be too hard to take?

Collapse -
Sounds more like
by Glenda / December 13, 2006 4:26 AM PST

a statement of Non-Belief to me.

Collapse -
Well, no.
by Dan McC / December 13, 2006 5:16 AM PST
In reply to: Sounds more like

His belief is stated quite directly in the title. Atheists are generally of two types. One has no belief in god or gods. The other believes that there is no god or gods. The first could be considered non-belief, but the second certainly could not.

Dan

Happy Holidays!

Collapse -
And that boils down
by Glenda / December 13, 2006 5:26 AM PST
In reply to: Well, no.

to the same thing. What I feel is pity for these people as they have no idea of what they have lost. But they will find out, and then it will be too late.

Collapse -
Steve Martin......
by Josh K / December 13, 2006 6:04 AM PST
In reply to: And that boils down

.....has a really funny bit on one of his comedy albums, imagining what it would be like if you died and found out there really was a Heaven, complete with St. Peter at the gate and all the rest.

"OH NO, in college they told me this was all bull****!......What?......I said the Lord's name in vain how many times? A million and six? Jesus Chr...."

LOL

Collapse -
Only funny if......
by Glenda / December 13, 2006 6:26 AM PST
In reply to: Steve Martin......

if you don't find yourself in that position Devil

Collapse -
I remember that bit..
by EdH / December 13, 2006 6:50 AM PST

Pretty funny. Back when Steve Martin WAS funny.

Here's what I believe; I believe the world would be a better place if people stopped worrying about what other people believe. Unless of course they believe in killing me, in which case I believe they should be killed first.

Collapse -
Amen, my brotha!
by Josh K / December 13, 2006 6:55 AM PST
In reply to: I remember that bit..

Live and let live, unless you're trying to blow me up.

Collapse -
Back before Martin started doing
by duckman / December 13, 2006 7:11 AM PST

"I need a paycheck" movies?

Collapse -
Works for me ...
by drpruner / December 18, 2006 7:51 AM PST

Stand still a minute, will you? Happy

Collapse -
(NT) meaning...?
by EdH / December 18, 2006 7:58 AM PST
In reply to: Works for me ...
Collapse -
I think it has something to do with the reference to a
by Steven Haninger / December 18, 2006 8:51 AM PST
In reply to: meaning...?

comedian and DP trying to be one. The joke is a risky one, I would say, but DP appears to still be standing despite his apparent death wish. Happy

Collapse -
(NT) Hmmmm....okay.
by EdH / December 18, 2006 8:53 AM PST
Collapse -
Ok, let's spoil it....the joke, that is
by Steven Haninger / December 18, 2006 9:06 AM PST
In reply to: Hmmmm....okay.

When DP said "Stand still a minute, will you?" and taken in the full context of your post, he might have been suggesting you were a moving target...harder to hit than one standing still. The smiley made is a joke. A good comedian like Steve Martin probably could have made it work.

Collapse -
No, No! It's you other guys'
by drpruner / December 27, 2006 5:56 AM PST

religions that are wrong. Didn't I make that clear? Put down that gun - it's against TOS!

Collapse -
Not exactly correct as I read Lee's post
by Steven Haninger / December 27, 2006 6:43 AM PST

We may not discuss politics or religion but we are free to talk all we wish about guns and what we'd like to do if we had one at the moment. Happy

Collapse -
(NT) Stand still so I can get in a good shot. :-)
by drpruner / December 27, 2006 5:52 AM PST
In reply to: meaning...?
Collapse -
George Carlin's....
by C1ay / December 13, 2006 7:34 AM PST
Collapse -
Does he really sound
by Dan McC / December 13, 2006 11:15 PM PST

pitiable to you? He seems to have a pretty good handle on things. What has he lost?

Dan

Happy Holidays!

Collapse -
(NT) What exactly have they lost?
by Terry Browne / December 27, 2006 6:07 AM PST
Collapse -
Incredibly brilliant argument !!
by duckman / December 13, 2006 5:29 AM PST

You can?t prove there is, so there isn?t

Collapse -
Rather saccharine, wouldn't you say?
by EdH / December 13, 2006 6:03 AM PST

A bit on the glurdge side.

Collapse -
Not really, no.
by Dan McC / December 13, 2006 11:11 PM PST

Especially when viewed in comparison to statements of belief from theists. Certainly not glurge.

Dan

Happy Holidays!

Collapse -
Hallmark cards and rainbows?
by EdH / December 13, 2006 11:30 PM PST
In reply to: Not really, no.

It's glurge.

Collapse -
(NT) Just as inaccurate as the first time you said it.
by Dan McC / December 13, 2006 11:45 PM PST
Collapse -
Lets look at the definition.
by EdH / December 14, 2006 12:42 AM PST
LINK

Glurge is a neologism describing a certain kind of melodramatic, saccharine story. The defining characteristic of glurge is that, while its purpose is to make the reader happy (and possibly teach a moral lesson), the feel-good aspect is so overdone that some readers are likely to be nauseated rather than inspired.

AND...

Common themes in glurge are man's relationship with God or children protected by angels or cute animals. While most glurge is of a Christian nature, glurge may also be associated with other religions, atheism, patriotism or nostalgia.

Looks to me like it fits like a glove.

It's okay that you like it. but a thing should be called what it is. At least, that's what I believe.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.