Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

A statement about CNET.com Worth more than Money

by Minor Tron God / October 29, 2005 12:39 AM PDT

I have been an Electronics Technician all my adult life and used computers in my work quite a lot. However it has been using dedicated Software designed to perform a specific function in troubleshooting or testing and repair of a piece of electronics Hardware, which I am very good at. I never had a Home computer untill recently when my sister gave me her old IBM after getting herself a new one.
Because of everything I have learned from CNET and it's members just by reading your opinions, ideas and Questions,it has opened a new window on everything. I've been able to turn a, mediocre at best, PC into a viable machine for online applications as well as a good tool for ''working'' applications offline.
My hat is off to CNET and especially ''you'' the members for providing a a Forum for learning and improving the experience of home computing. In the future I hope I will be able to contribute to the forum what I have learned and possibly help someone else. Keep it up your the best People around and remember, ''No Matter Where You Go There You Are''.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: A statement about CNET.com Worth more than Money
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: A statement about CNET.com Worth more than Money
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I stumbled accidentally
by TONI H / October 29, 2005 12:59 AM PDT

into what originally were the ZDNET Computer Forums ten years ago as my fourth or fifth surfing click on the internet, learned how to save Alfred Poor's Computer Cures to my favorites, and never left. I didn't even know there were other forums available at ZDNET until about a month or so later, and as a 'newbie' to computers, nearly all the posts made in that particular forum were from me.

I had some 'old timers' to computers and how they worked chuckling over my questions (if not outright belly laughs), but every single one of those mentors of mine kept on plugging away at me with answers until those light bulbs started going on and I finally 'got it'. They had (and still have since most are still around here pitching in) the patience of JOB with this newbie, and I've stuck around to also try to return that help and knowledge to the folks who have wandered in here as well.

What goes around, comes around, and as long as the technology just keeps going, we are all going to continue to be 'newbies'. When I still need help, I don't go anywhere else to get the answers.

Great place.....even greater members.

TONI

Collapse -
Delighted You Stumbled, Toni
by dcmorris / October 29, 2005 10:50 AM PDT

I also browsed into cnet (ZDnet) by chance some years ago. It was here I met a great group of helpers including yourself. You, Grif, cursorcowboy, coryphaeus, R. Proffitt, Kees whole lot of mods, members,(and cnet pro Lee Koo) who, in combination, is (are?) my computer guru. (I do not have any one locally to turn to when I have a problem).
I have been in and out of many forums covering many interests but none can beat this one. Judge them in any category and Computer Newbies is far in the lead.
You folks just won't give up until a problem is solved. And you accomplish it with class.
So, to you, your fellow mods, contributing members and Lee, a hearty and sincere thanks.

DC

Collapse -
Not giving up is our
by TONI H / October 29, 2005 7:31 PM PDT

'junkyard dog' mentality. You absolutely have to have it in order to troubleshoot hardware or software problems. I'm a firm believer in getting to the root of the problem, even if it takes days to finally weed it out' rather than just hit the 'restore' option. I realize that 'easy' is an option everybody wants, but if you don't actually get into the meat and potatoes of troubleshooting you aren't learning much. There are many who really don't want to learn the ins and outs and just want a system to be entertainment, but there are many more of us that want to know and understand what's behind the curtain. It's more of a power trip, I think.......we just HAVE to win rather than let the computer beat us.

My website is called PCWARFARE...and its slogan is "Warfare = An Active Struggle Between Two Competing Entities - You And The PC Itself"

For some of us....it's the only way to travel, and most don't use 'easy' programs like Norton System Works to 'fix' stuff for us when we've found over the years that most of those programs cause more problems than they fix.

TONI

Collapse -
I didn't exactly stumble
by Minor Tron God / October 29, 2005 3:12 PM PDT

Hi Toni good to meetcha. I knew about download.com and CNET from friends who have been into PCs and the internet for a long time I just never had the need to avail myself to what they have to offer untill now. I really am glad there are forums like this and people like you, willing and with the patience to help someone just getting started like myself. Reading some of the questions and answers found here enabled me to get as far as I am now. I have taken a "hand me down" IBM Aptiva(little RAM, slow, and old)and turned it into a machine the previous owner says never behaved like that for her. Thank you CNET and you Toni, you will be hearing more from me, I am going to be around, alot.

MTG

Collapse -
I'm glad you did!
by Alfred Poor / December 1, 2005 3:39 AM PST

Has it been that long? I'm certainly glad that you found your way here lo these many years ago, but probably not nearly as glad as the hundreds -- thousands? tens of thousands? -- of people who have been helped by your support and answers.

For a whole lot of reasons, I haven't had time to hang out here like I did in the past (go see http://hdtvprofessor.com if you want to see what I'm up to these days), but I continue to write Computer Cures, and continue to drop by here on rare occasion just to see how things are going.

With fond memories and best wishes,

Alfred

Collapse -
Wow, We Are Certainly Blessed...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 1, 2005 4:03 AM PST
In reply to: I'm glad you did!

Alfred,

Thank you for visiting and we'd love to see you more.

Both you and Toni have helped thousands of folks on these forums and many owe you both a great deal.

Keep up the good work.

Grif

Collapse -
You will always hold a special place
by TONI H / December 1, 2005 4:43 AM PST
In reply to: I'm glad you did!

in my heart. It's so nice to hear from you again, Alfred....you are missed sorely by many more than just me.

Thank you for dropping by and saying hello again...Hoping your holidays are warm, fuzzy, wonderful, and safe and that all of your wishes are granted by Santa.

TONI

Collapse -
Hello Tron....
by John Robie / October 29, 2005 3:54 AM PDT

Yep, these forums can help even an Electronics Technician.

Seven years ago I decided to buy a computer being 66 years old then and never operated a computer. I used to say that I had a good hand calculator, so what do I need a computer for.

Well, we had Dish Satellite TV, and one night clicking through the maze I started watching a channel called ZDTV which happened to have a program titled ''Call for Help'' which was all about computers that a 'dummy' could understand. That also led me to start watching another program on ZDTV called ''Screen Savers''. ZDTV was then a part of ZDNet.

Hey, these newfangled computers were something else & much more than a calculator, so I decided to buy one. Not knowning anything about a computer I went to the Public Library and started reading and searching all the Computer magazines they had. I then took out a subscriptiuon to ZDNet Computer Shopper, and ZD PC Magazine. For a period of 5 months I studied just about every brand and class of computers available.
The only computer book I purchased was ''PCs for Dummys'' which I still sometimes refer to and is the only computer book that I current own.
I then took two free courses at the Public Library with hands on operation of a PC. I was now able to start using a computer at the Library at no charge for about a hour at a time, doing further research on the best computer to buy for the money (at that time). I settled on a Pent III, 550MHz, 120RAM, 20GB Hard drive, and Nvidia TNT Video Card. The price was right close to $2400 with a 19'' Monitor. There were more expensive computers, but was more than I wanted to spend.

From watching ZDTV, the 'Call for Help' program led me to the ZDNet 'Call for Help' Forum on the computer, which in turn led me to this current ''Newbies'' Forum which is now owned by CNet. The ZDTV 'Call for Help' forum had Toni Hackler and Donna Hager as Assistant Moderators then, which along with others who posted like Bill Gaston & Wayne Hardy helped me greatly with learning about computers. Actually the 1st person I posted to was to the only Moderator of the 'Newbies' Forum (then) a fine guy who lived in Europe (Lituhania-not correct spelling) that also helped me a lot who went by the name of ''Roke'' as his full name was sort of difficult.

When ZDTV was sold to a company owned by one of the founders of Microsoft, the ''Call for Help'' forum name was changed to ''Computer Help'' which is still used today in CNet.

Since CNet purchased ZDNet and took over the forums, there are now a huge amount of excellent Moderators (Volunteers-unpaid) with many Forums to select from, and also a huge amount of excellent non-Mods who post and give help/advise. I'm still learning from all.......

Collapse -
Hello back John
by Minor Tron God / October 29, 2005 2:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Hello Tron....

Glad to meetcha. I used to pretty much think the same thing, I got a computer at work why would I need one at home? since I got this one and got it working fairly well,(with knowledge gained here along with downloads), my A/V system has been gathering dust and it's my pride and joy. It just shows to gowya even an Old Dog (54) can learn new tricks. Your also right about the people here willing to help with information and tips to get newbies like me up to speed. I have seen a couple of the programs you mentioned they used to be on station here called Tech TV, it's not around anymore, thats a bummer.

Hey John I'll see ya around the forum I plan on being a regular, later
MTG

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?