Cameras forum

General discussion

A small camera for stage photos?

by amcom1 / January 12, 2010 4:58 AM PST

Can anybody recommend a decent point and shoot camera for stage photos. Got two kids and occasionally they have performance on stage. My current Canon A610 just can?t do the job. Don?t like the DSLR because they are too bulky. Also it would be nice if the camera can do optical zoom in video recording.

Is a Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 or a FZ35 good? They have > 10x optical zoom but not sure if they can take stage photos.

Thanks a lot.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: A small camera for stage photos?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: A small camera for stage photos?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
re: A small camera for stage photos?
by MarkatNite / January 12, 2010 11:40 AM PST

A few questions:

What's your budget? If you can afford it, I would strongly recommend you go with an m4/3 camera (Oly E-P1/2, Pany GF-1) because, with the right lens (i.e. Pany 20mm f1.7), you will get much better low-light performance in a package that's not a heck of a lot bigger than the FZ35 that you're considering.

What video res/frame rate do you need? If you can't afford the any of the above m4/3 cams, I would recommend the Canon S90 (f2.0 and 1/1.7 sensor) over either the ZS3 (f3.3 and 1/2.33 sensor) or FZ35 (also 1/2.33 sensor but f2.8 lens) for low-light situations. However, max video is 640x480@30fps.

Why the interest in a superzoom (10x+)? In a typical (small-ish) high school theater, the 300mm zoom of the ZS3 will probably be overkill, and the 400mm FZ35 moreso.

HTH - Mark

Collapse -
It Depends
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / January 12, 2010 11:46 AM PST

It depends upon why you say "Canon A610 just can't do the job".

If you object to the performance of the A610 video during stage performance, you should really look at getting a Camcorder.

If you object to noise in the A610 photos, a new camera is not going to help.

If the A610 just doesn't have enough optical zoom, the FZ35 will be a better choice than the ZS3. But you need to be ready to learn how to use the manual controls on the FZ35.

So, why do you object to the A610?

Collapse -
Camera.
by Bermellon / January 12, 2010 1:37 PM PST

You are asking too much.
That's because stages are dark and there's only a way to take a decent picture without flash: long exposure.
Compact models are automatic, so manual exposure it's almost impossible (Thanks to Sony, this feature was removed in every compact model).
Long exposure has a problem. It will not see moving objects, and a tripod is necessary.

Anyway, Sony made a different kind of Sensor that catches more light.
The model is DSC-WX1 so it's a nice idea to go to a Sony Shop and check it. Not sure if it Zooms in Video Mode.

Collapse -
stage photos....
by Papa Echo / January 12, 2010 10:49 PM PST

Sometimes, you need to use the right tool for the right job,whether you like it or not.... Stage photography means low light and movement.... What you need is a DSLR....an entry level model works like a P&S...

Collapse -
stage photos
by amcom1 / January 13, 2010 2:50 AM PST

Thanks for the input and recommendations.

My budget for this is about $350 so obviously both E-P1/2 and GF-1 that Mark mentioned are out of my range. I checked Canon S90 on amazon.com. People are happy with the low light capability but too bad it doesn?t allow optical zoom during video recording, though 640x480@30fps is acceptable. Super zoom is a plus but not essential. Usually I was sitting about 50 feet (15 meters) away from the stage.

The complaint for my old A610 is the picture quality of stage photos. It is quite fuzzy and some ?grains? on the picture, thought the photos other than stage shooting are very good.

DSC-WX1 may be a good choice. According to the product description, it has ?Exmor R CMOS sensor for stunning low light performance?. It can do HD video and optical zoom during recording. But I need to do more research on this.

Collapse -
re: Exmor R CMOS sensor for stunning low light
by MarkatNite / January 13, 2010 11:16 AM PST
In reply to: stage photos

Speaking of new sensor tech, there's also Fuji--e.g. their S200EXR--so you may want to have a look at that, as well. Especially since the Sony WX1 doesn't shoot RAW, while both the Fuji and Canon S90 do. (FYI RAW can be helpful because stage lighting can often throw off a camera's auto-white balance, but RAW allows you to correct this "in post".)

Mark

Collapse -
Finepix S200EXR
by amcom1 / January 13, 2010 10:10 PM PST

Thanks Mark. Will do some research on this.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!