Speakeasy forum

General discussion

A sign of things to come?

by JP Bill / May 30, 2012 1:44 PM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: A sign of things to come?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: A sign of things to come?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
BO = "Corpseman"
by TONI H / May 30, 2012 8:02 PM PDT

The only difference is that Romney's mistake came from an ineffective proofreader....BO's mistake came from his own words a number of times in the same speech.....and he didn't know the difference between Veteran's Day and Memorial Day.....and he didn't realize that there were no fallen military in his audience when he said there were quite of few of them there that day.

Collapse -
RE; didn't know the difference
by JP Bill / May 30, 2012 9:27 PM PDT
In reply to: BO = "Corpseman"
didn't know the difference between Veteran's Day and Memorial Day

Neither does NPR and Romney?

Obama, Romney Honor Veterans On Memorial Day

I can see where the lines would be blurred about what/who you are honouring, and when you do it.

Memorial Day, originally called Decoration Day, is a day of remembrance for those who have died in our nation's service.

North of the border we have Remembrance Day, Nov 11....

The only difference is that Romney's mistake came from an ineffective proofreader.

AND the proofreader of Obama's speech WAS effective?

or are you making the assumption that Obama wrote his own speech?

Politicians read what is put in front of them, they don't think about what they are saying...they are just reading.
Collapse -
Corpsman vs "corpseman"
by TONI H / May 30, 2012 10:24 PM PDT

His proofreader for the teleprompter had it right....BO just didn't know how to say it correctly and he had writers and proofreaders who actually thought he was smart enough to know how. I think you're right when you say 'they don't think about what they are saying and just reading". We obviously need someone who can actually think and not be a parrot without a brain, especially a 'college professor' who has an ego big enough to believe he can lead a Corpsman.

Collapse -
RE: We obviously need someone who can actually think
by JP Bill / May 30, 2012 11:22 PM PDT
Collapse -
I don't see a problem
by TONI H / May 31, 2012 12:14 AM PDT

There are very few people who would be able to remember 'word for word' what they have said during a 14 month campaign, so for Romney to say he stood by what he said, even if he couldn't recall what it was exactly, sounds pretty consistent to me. For the Democratic speakers to say that Romney should have taken the 'high road' like McCain did is pretty hypocritical considering that BO didn't do it when it came to his 'civililty' speech after the Giffords shooting and has still not come out and reversed his position regarding the OWS protestors even though he has 'distanced' himself by not talking about them at all anymore after supporting them publicly at the start. McCain may have taken the 'high road' during the 2008 campaign regarding BO, but it didn't get him anywhere, did it? So of course, they want Romney to pattern himself after McCain...............

If a President wants to make pretty speeches in front of the military that he leads, he should at least know how to pronounce their official titles, doncha think? They are at the very least deserving of that much respect from him.

Collapse -
RE: If a President wants to make pretty speeches
by JP Bill / May 31, 2012 1:08 AM PDT
In reply to: I don't see a problem

wants to?

You think The President (no matter which one) does what they want to...all the time?

They also go where they are pushed/driven, most of the time read what's put in front of them (sometimes they misread it), when it's put in front of them, and not before.

It's almost like they are human.

Bush was also good at the sight gags

Here's a sight gag of the new French President

More human behaviour..

Rain-soaked Francois Hollande is a comic, everyman leader for our times

The French president is patient as his suit soaks up water. Such bumbling characters are the best fit for stormy times

I enjoy getting a smile from politicians, Obama makes mistakes in his speeches, but I don't find them funny.

Collapse -
not exactly pushed
by TONI H / May 31, 2012 7:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Like I said

since every President has had his portrait unveiling 'ceremony'............it's a tradition. I'm sure BO will be back for his ceremony when Romney invites him for it, too.

Collapse -
RE: not exactly pushed
by JP Bill / May 31, 2012 8:35 PM PDT
In reply to: not exactly pushed

You missed "Bush, who has made no secret of his disdain for Washington since returning to Texas" in the article?

disdain
Noun:
The feeling that someone or something is unworthy of one's consideration or respect; contempt.

Verb: Consider to be unworthy of one's consideration.

disdain doesn't sound like a happy camper

I was talking about while they are President and so was Bush., not about being there for the unveiling.

AFTER he left the job...he voiced his disdain...

Collapse -
Any audio from Bush to go with that comment?
by Steven Haninger / May 31, 2012 8:44 PM PDT
In reply to: RE: not exactly pushed

I'd think it not worth passing along what cannot be substantiated but I'm also aware of the reality that many take print as always being factual if it disparages persons they disdain but consider to be falsehood if spoken of those they admire.

How wonderful it is to live in a world where doing ones own thinking is optional. Happy

Collapse -
(NT) An audio clip?...No.
by JP Bill / May 31, 2012 9:01 PM PDT
Collapse -
A printed 'opinion'
by TONI H / May 31, 2012 9:34 PM PDT
In reply to: RE: not exactly pushed

isn't worth a whole lot when you don't have Bush's own words saying that; however, if he sees what has been happening in DC over the last three and a half years and is as unhappy about it as the majority of the people living in the US are, then the disdain is an appropriate reaction, I think. I do know that he has commented a number of times that no matter how much BO talks publicly about his own disdain for Bush, Bush believes that it isn't respectful to the office of the presidency to speak publicly about how he personally feels about BO as the current president and hasn't. Say what you will about Bush....he has class, even if he learned it late in life and thanks to his wife.

Collapse -
RE:A printed 'opinion' isn't worth a whole lot
by JP Bill / May 31, 2012 9:57 PM PDT
In reply to: A printed 'opinion'

A printed 'opinion' isn't worth a whole lot when you don't have Bush's own words saying that

if he sees what has been happening in DC over the last three and a half years and is as unhappy about it

And where did you get THAT from?

Got an audio clip?

Collapse -
I got it from you
by TONI H / May 31, 2012 10:38 PM PDT

>>>You missed "Bush, who has made no secret of his disdain for Washington since returning to Texas" in the article?
>>>

That's the article's opinion, too....which is why I said "IF"....

Collapse -
RE: I got it from you
by JP Bill / May 31, 2012 11:54 PM PDT

You got THIS from me/the article "Bush, who has made no secret of his disdain for Washington since returning to Texas YES you did

and YOU interpreted that as if he sees what has been happening in DC over the last three and a half years and is as unhappy about it

The article doesn't state that "Bush made no secret of his disdain for Obama"...it was his "disdain for Washington"

Collapse -
Also, Toni...
by J. Vega / May 31, 2012 2:41 AM PDT
In reply to: I don't see a problem

Also Toni, when a President is visiting a location, it's best to make sure of its name. I'm thinking the BP disaster. The name is Grand Isle, not Grand Island. Just something that grated on my nerves, like Walter Cronkite's pronunciation of "Biloxi" a long time ago following a hurricane.

Collapse -
That happens
by Josh K / June 1, 2012 12:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Also, Toni...

When people travel that much, sometimes they don't even know where they are. Mistakes happen.

Now imagine Herman Cain traveling to just about anywhere, unless it's Uzbecki-becki-becki-becki-stan-stan.

Wink

Collapse -
(NT) didn't the Temptations do that?
by James Denison / June 1, 2012 9:14 AM PDT
In reply to: That happens
Collapse -
Shall I try a forum search....
by Josh K / May 31, 2012 1:16 AM PDT

.....to find things that Obama had nothing to do with personally but that you blamed him for? Wading through all your "BO this" and "BO that" posts may take months though....

Collapse -
Is that like
by TONI H / May 31, 2012 2:36 AM PDT

how you guys blamed Bush for every little thing? It could take me a year or more to find all of those that were posted here since 2000, Josh, and they still go on to this day..............

It amazes me that liberals can bash, denigrate, blame, accuse....but a conservative is supposed to just keep taking it on the chin and travel the high road according to you. I would think that since the beginning of 2010 when it became apparent that conservatives weren't gonna take it anymore and began fighting back as heavily as liberals/progressives dished it out that getting our message out isn't going to be stopped anymore. Some of it started in 2000 with the swiftboat ads against Kerry when the attacks against Bush's military record began with moveon, but it's really come to light in the last two years or so.

In this case, BO has nobody but himself, his own words that he used especially during his 2008 campaign, and his ego to blame.

Collapse -
So let's see.....
by Josh K / May 31, 2012 3:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Is that like

.....you think Bush was treated unfairly, so you feel that justifies treating Obama unfairly? "Taking the high road" means being better than the people you're criticizing, as opposed to engaging in the same behavior you're objecting to from others.

Your contention that every smear that's come from the Right is just a reaction to some previous smear from the Left is just more revisionism. What left-wing smear prompted right-wingers to pay a hooker to claim Bill Clinton was the father of her child?

Collapse -
How is BO being treated unfairly
by TONI H / May 31, 2012 4:22 AM PDT
In reply to: So let's see.....

when his own words and actions are what's being used against him?

As for the Clinton statement you made, I haven't found any proof that it was a right-wing payoff to a hooker to make that claim. I'm not saying she didn't say it....I'm saying I've found nothing to indicate she was paid by a right-wing organization or person to say it. Was an investigation done that proves that?

Collapse -
For example....
by Josh K / May 31, 2012 5:28 AM PDT

.....any sensible person knows that "57 states" was a slip of the tongue and he knew how many states there are. And yet it was used time and time again to suggest he's dumb or as some comment on his inexperience.

I remember reading that it turned out she was paid. She was a prostitute who would do almost anything for cash, after all. I Googled but couldn't find much.

Collapse -
Used to 'suggest he's dumb'.....
by TONI H / May 31, 2012 5:56 AM PDT
In reply to: For example....

Boy, does that sound the like the familiar statements that were repeatedly made about Bush....remember 'nu-cu-lar'?????

Collapse -
I do....
by Josh K / May 31, 2012 6:00 AM PDT

.....and I never made fun of him over that. Jimmy Carter pronounced it the same way and no matter what you thought of his presidency, nobody would call him stupid or uneducated.

There were plenty of other, better reasons to think Bush was dumb.

Devil

Collapse -
Today Obama gave a speech
by James Denison / June 1, 2012 9:09 AM PDT

Something about using executive order to force states to ignore licensing requirements in professional jobs and overriding other regulatory safeguards to put returning service people into jobs he thinks they would be qualified for, ahead of other more qualified job candidates. He'll probably write some "ordnance" about it soon as he can get some "materiel" together.

Collapse -
Ok
by Steven Haninger / May 30, 2012 8:49 PM PDT

So we have one candidate who can't spell and a sitting president who spends more time marketing his own ideas than listening to the citizens he serves. Sounds like we need a third choice. Any names come to mind? Happy

Collapse -
Any names come to mind?
by JP Bill / May 30, 2012 9:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Ok

I nominate Toni.

Collapse -
I don't think anyone will notice
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 1, 2012 12:20 AM PDT

Atfer all, evrenoe can raed tihs cna't you?

Devil

Mark

Collapse -
Reads find to me but
by Steven Haninger / June 1, 2012 12:24 AM PDT

you misspelled your name, Mrak. Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?