Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

A side note. I see [and have it] EWIDO

by Ray Harinec / March 21, 2007 6:18 AM PDT

recco's in many of these CNET forums, however for about the third time in four or five months PC Magazine rates it as the poorest performer of the bunch.

For AV I went to Trend PCillin, and then they gave the entire suite free as an upgrade, so i installed that. Now I see, that PC Mag rates it pretty low. LOL [CA gets the highest in that group]. I do have that on my computer at work. LOL Trend does seem to alert on many sites as being potential problems. Pretty certain that many are false alarms.

I just made a post about Spyware Doctor 5.0 problems, but 4.0 is very highly rated [I had that and thought that it worked well. Now I do not have it because I dumped it because of the 5.0 problems.

Unfortunately they rate the Norton Suite the Highest. No way will I ever use a Norton product again. I'll bet that Peter Norton regrets selling his name to Symantec.

Again, just comments not looking for any debate. With a real Virus malware problem, the people at this forum is where I go for help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: A side note. I see [and have it] EWIDO
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: A side note. I see [and have it] EWIDO
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Let's follow the money.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 21, 2007 6:37 AM PDT

Does Ewido or AVG do advertising in said rag? Just checking.

Also while it might be a little slower on the scans it has found some trojans and more than say those big names. So you are right about the performance aspect but it's the results I think it's doing fine on.

You'll see me recommend Trend's web base scanner so they are definitely on the ball with a very nice detection of many pests.

Bob

Collapse -
Ray, try SpywareTerminator...
by Edward ODaniel / March 22, 2007 4:10 AM PDT
http://www.spywareterminator.com/app/features.aspx

Free and some like it better than Ewido (aka AVG anti-malware).

Trend Micro's Av is real good but their malware scanning is weak.

None are "complete protection" so all require "second opinions".

NOTE:
To use Spyware Terminator functions you need to have following operational systems installed on your computer:

Spyware Scanner: Windows 98, 2000, ME or XP
Real-Time Protection: Windows 2000 or XP
Collapse -
"Note on SpywareTerminator: We originally listed Spyware ...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 22, 2007 4:16 AM PDT
Collapse -
Once a Rogue
by phil66 / March 22, 2007 4:39 AM PDT

I have used Spyware Terminator for some time now and it has worked just fine for me.

It has found legitimate malware that Avg anti spyware Adaware Spybot
have not found.

If you have enough trust in Eric's decision to list a program then I think you should have enough trust to use when he delist.

Just my opinion
Ray

Collapse -
I'll give it more time to see.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 22, 2007 4:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Once a Rogue

It's a popular item from what I see. 'Tech' can't be changing tools weekly as people write "you should be using this" so we keep using the same tool set unless we find we can't cure the PC anymore or something is slipping by.

-> I remember I looked at another product recently and the items it found were indeed there but were no threat. Just a few stragglers in the registry with zero impact. We talked it over and didn't find this to be a good reason to change the recipe today.

Bob

Collapse -
Once a rogue?

Bob, do REAd what was said there. In exactly NONE of their testing did they find anything wrong.

The original decision to list it was simply because of "concerns that Crawler, the company behind the product, had established connections with IBIS", concerns that proved unjustified.

If you were driving a white van and were pulled over because police officers has "concerns" that the driver had established connections with bank robbers and those concerns were proved unjustified would you be content with out calling you a "rogue get-a-way driver", after all, once a rogue...

Spyware Terminator is a good product that can be used or recommended without concern just as can AVG Anti-Malware (would "concern" about its false positives be grounds to call it rogue?).

Collapse -
Try this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 23, 2007 4:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Once a rogue?

"can't be changing tools weekly as people write "you should be using this" so we keep using the same tool set unless we find we can't cure the PC anymore or something is slipping by."

Hope you understand that I have a bad habit of continuing with a known working combo rather than change constantly.

Bob

Collapse -
Understand your 'bad habit'...
by Edward ODaniel / March 24, 2007 4:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Try this.

as it is one most of us have.

Hope you can understand that when the original poster, Ray Harnec, mentions that he read something showing EWIDO (which he has) regularly rated as "poorest performer" that a recomendation to another that he might want to consider is in order.

Such suggestions do not warrant the "once a rogue..." comment (ESPECIALLY if one who links to a statement reads the statement and garners knowledge regarding the exact reasoning behind the temporary listing) as no one said "you really must switch to this", but simply offered up an alternative or even an additional tool.

Although change for the sake of change isn't ideal, neither is avoidance of change or experience simply for the sake of avoidance.

Have you added (or checked for addition) CompactByte AV to your "toolkit"? It is one of the very few designed specifically for the Indonesian malware showing up on USB drives as a result of travel in the region or purchase of "preloaded" flash drives. Again, not a "you must have this" but a suggestion that like Stinger or Avast's aswclnr.exe it has a place in the scheme of things.
http://www.compactbyte.com/cav/index.php

Collapse -
So far so good.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 24, 2007 4:55 AM PDT

Yes I take some heat over looking at the history of a product. It slows my acceptance whether or not I'll think of switching in a new item or not. For example, Microsoft produces a software product do you look at their past performance to gauge what to expect?

(I hear the referee crying 'FOWL!')

Bob

Collapse -
(I hear the referee crying 'FOWL!')
by Edward ODaniel / March 26, 2007 7:31 AM PDT
In reply to: So far so good.

What do birds have to do with this? (or did you perchance mean FOUL?)

Microsoft produces a software product do you look at their past performance to gauge what to expect?

Of course one looks at track record but also one does NOT simply take the "word" of another. Most of us rely on actual experience with a product and since both you and I are using more than one version of Windows it would appear that despite the infuriating rhetoric of many we are both satisfied enough with the products to use them and assist others (who may not have the same knowledge and capabilities) with them. We don't imply "once a rogue..." despite some pundits in PC mags insinuations and we neither one wait "until after SP1" to upgrade if there is a need to do so as unlike the majorities of users who were only intorduced to NT with the release of XP both of us have had long familiarity with NT and the Service Packs for the business oriented OS.

(Hark, was that the referee freed from the birds hollering Game, Set, Match!?)

Collapse -
Hey Ed O and others
by Ray Harinec / March 24, 2007 12:03 PM PDT

I totally forgot about making this post, so thanx. I'll go to the terminator tomorrow on the computer where Spyware Doctor 5.0 fouled up the computer. Posted elswhere in this forum only as info.

Thanx again to all.

Collapse -
Ed O
by Ray Harinec / March 25, 2007 3:01 AM PDT

I downloaded and installed Spyware terminator. Thanx.

Collapse -
Does EWIDO still exist?
by C++ Genius / March 27, 2007 8:16 AM PDT
Collapse -
Yes, ewido is no longer available for download
by Donna Buenaventura / March 27, 2007 12:13 PM PDT

"ewido anti-spyware 4.0 has been replaced by AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5 and isn't available for sale and download anymore (under the old name). Instead, please try our new, highly improved version: AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5 "

The above statement is in http://www.ewido.net website

They acquired ewido last year - http://www.ewido.net/en/press/20060419a/

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?