General discussion

A shipment - a memory returns

Back in the day when in the service, I used to order parts and used their FSN and later the NSN #'s to get it. Everything had a manual and a parts list to order form. I would order say a transister, it would come packed in a shipped box->open to find foam or wrapped brown paper->sealed vacuum bag->part in its own box or protected form/blister->remove all then unwrap or remove from minor blister bubble. Of course, its done this way as the parts may sit on a shelf for eons before ordered and may further not be manufactured again or available on the open market. It never ceased to amaze me that a 1oz. item(maybe less), used 1-3lbs of shipping material and self-protection to get to my desk.

Now, I look at my newly brought ink cart and wonder if the same people work for them. Wink adios -----Willy Happy

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: A shipment - a memory returns
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: A shipment - a memory returns
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
I thought packaging was an art , but it turns out
- Collapse -
I was getting certified in CAD a few years ago...

I was taking some extra classes a couple years back, to get a computer assisted drafting certificate as a minor to another degree. The first couple classes included traditional paper and pencil drafting, and we devoted a class period to the art of designing boxes with closing lids to be cut and folded from a single sheet of cardboard. It was an interesting exercise, and gets into some hardcore engineering principles when one must consider the characteristics of the packaging materials, but the machines that must do the cutting and folding.

- Collapse -
Well, then, did they teach you how to

design those containers that, once you get everything out, there's no way to put it all back together and close the lid? Wink

- Collapse -
That is a High Tech secret.

The thing is, boxes are packed while in a vacuum at the factory... as soon as the boxes are taken out of the special vacuum packing room, everything in the box expands to normal size.

Once the items are removed from the box, there is no way of putting it back in.

This special packing method was pioneered by the Pandora Box Corporation located in Greece. Their corporate motto is "Once it's out of the box... it's your problem !"

Devil

- Collapse -
I think they can also do that with Cheerios

if they study a little hematology and understand the "Rouleau Effect". Your assignment is to look that up and design a way to make it happen. Happy

CNET Forums