Speakeasy forum

General discussion

A Sad story

I read this week where a 45 year old mother died in Arizona of grief over the loss of her 25 year old son in Iraq. She and her husband were both Respiratory Therapists at the hospital. Her son had been in Iraq less than a month and was killed by an insurgent's bullet. The mother cried for three days after learning of her son's death and her body couldn't take the strain anymore. Her husband was right with her in the kitchen when she collapsed but his and other's efforts couldn't save her. So sad. We, on this forum, pick and debate the merits of the candidates, the war in Iraq, the battles in Afghanistan, etc. but they all pale in significance when you consider the death of even one single soldier. That soldier was someone's son, brother, husband, father or kinfolk or friend and if it gets close to home it becomes much more personal. Each time that I read about a death over there I take it very personally and in my mind, nothing justifies it. I'm not trying to argue a point but simply telling how I take it. We each are only given one opportunity to have a life and when that life is cut short I grieve deeply and it makes a profound impact on me.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: A Sad story
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: A Sad story
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: A Sad story

In reply to: A Sad story

Link: http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/1096990890

True, this is very sad, and I do know that grief can be extremely powerful. I will be interested to see the outcome of the autopsy of this woman, however. It will not surprise me if it is discovered that she had an up-til-then unknown heart problem, and truly did die of a verifiable event, (as opposed to a "broken heart")

This kind of reporting (sensationalist, IMO) is similar to the deaths in theaters contributed to The Exorcist and The Passion of the Christ.

My prayers to the family in this story, how sad for them Sad

Collapse -
Tugging at the heart strings ...

In reply to: Re: A Sad story

... makes for good reading for some, but it always makes me look to the motivations of those that would exploit such for an agenda. This same woman could just as easily have died in this manner after losing her son on 9/11. In the end life is not fair and there are some that just can never cope with grief over the loss of a loved one. My prayers to the surviving members of this poor family.

Evie Happy

Collapse -

I remember a discussion here in SE about the civilians here and in other countries who were so against the war in Iraq that they were heading there to stand arm in arm in front of Saddam to protect him from us. Saddam encouraged this behavior....but wasn't about to do anything himself except head for a hole. If I remember correctly, those people either did an immediate about face and went home or didn't get their reservations made.....and they've never been heard from again regarding this act of bravado. I don't see any of these people willing to come forward now with the reconstruction or humanitarian efforts. What happened to their compassion for the Iraqi people?

TONI

Collapse -

What an inappropriate reply to this woman's grief, her death, and the sorrow of the family.

Dan

Collapse -
There are lots of inappropriate posts of this forum, and

you are not a stranger to them.

Collapse -
Re: There are lots of inappropriate posts of this forum, and

In reply to: There are lots of inappropriate posts of this forum, and

FWACK!!!
Sounds a lot like one of Cheney's "sit the back down and shut the f&*^ up you ignorant peon" responses to Edward's comments the other night.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

In reply to: Re: There are lots of inappropriate posts of this forum, and

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I do read them all

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) And thanks for agreeing that it's inappropriate!

Collapse -
Try again. I didn't say anything about Toni's post. You're

In reply to: (NT) And thanks for agreeing that it's inappropriate!

the one who's always charging hypocrisy. Live by your own rules.

Collapse -
Could it be...

"I read this week where" what kind of rhetoric is this. I could go around all day - Month - year reciting sad stories I read somwhere. I'm sure there are instances of coincidence available for topics like this, but facts back up stories 'read somwhere' and lend them credibility. Almost chain letter material here. We all know how this stuff tears at your heart, it is the authors intent when writing it.

That said, it is sad, very sad I agree, but I am a skeptic so I look at such with an eye of doubt. Cite source material so I may better comprehend.

Call me what you will - heartless, cruel, mean spirited whatever it makes no difference. I will think with logic and reason while it is proven to be true/false.

Don Erickson
California Republican and very proud of it!

Collapse -
Re: Could it be...

In reply to: Could it be...

this is a true story. They had it on the local news here in Phoenix. BUT this is not the first nor will it be the last war , that we will have grieving parents. My son is in the military also, and I know that if he has to go to Iraq that he could be killed. That was his decision when he joined the military. If that happened I would be sick, But I would also be a very proud parent that my Son did his duty. I don't understand parents that scream about children being killed in Iraq and attacking the President for his decision to go to war! IMO that disrespects every military man and woman that served our country and dies! I respect my Son's decision to faithfully serve in the protection of our country and people all over the world!
Sorry for the rant Don, was not directed at you, I just found this a good spot to reply:)
Glenda
Semper Fi!

Collapse -

I recall hearing similar stories during WWII. My sadness and condolences go out for her and others.
Grief IMO could be extreme enough to cause medical problems.

When my mother died of a sudden heart attack my father was extremely 'heartbroken' and I believe to such an extent he died a year later.

Collapse -
My uncle

(father's sister's husband) was crushed in a dockyard accident at a young age with three daughters. My aunt took care of him at home as he was bedridden for almost twenty years and raised the daughters, too. One week after he passed away, she went too....they were buried together.

TONI

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.