General discussion

A sad realization

Nearly 20 years ago I moved to a quiet neighborhood on a dead end street. The local middle school is at the bottom of the hill from my house and the elementary school up the hill from there. I watched the populations of both schools grow through the years with an overcrowding of portable classrooms added to each and the building of a second elementary school in the community with it's own yard now overcrowded with portable classrooms.

Nearly 20 years ago the children's population in my community was much smaller and yet I would have needed a large bucket of candy to survive the trick or treaters on Halloween night. Now their population has exploded and I could have made it safely through the evening with a few candy bars bought in the checkout aisle of the supermarket Sad I miss Halloween.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: A sad realization
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: A sad realization
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
We never needed buckets, but

This year I don't think we had any callers.

- Collapse -
We had three...

which ins an increase from last year when we had none. But there are a couple of reasons. There used to be a lot of kids on our street, including our own. They are all high school or college age. And since we are in a rural area the houses are not close together. A lot of parents bring their kids to the "Heights" which is a neighborhood of wealthier people all packed together in a relatively small ares.

- Collapse -
I also have to eat all the candies I bought
- Collapse -
We had a few dozen kids

and many were cuties. I have noticed a lot more Halloween lawn decorating over the past few years and there are plenty of adult costume parties around. Our area has more than one beggars night so some kids go out twice. I know that some of our visitors weren't from the neighborhood. I always buy too much candy just in case and will be munching it for a while. It doesn't seem that long since there were reports of needles and even razor blades in treats such as candy apples. Hospitals would X-ray goodie bags for free. I thought begger's night would die out but it came back strong for a while. I do think it's alive and well among some adults who like to play dress up.

- Collapse -
One of my friends had a lot ...

The main drag in our small town is quite popular at Halloween. People do extensive decoration. My friend turned his front yard into a graveyard and had sound effect etc.

Their house had ~1300 visitors. No, that's not a typo. They passed out a whole boatload of candy.

CNET Forums

Forum Info