General discussion

A really ?heavy? Shortcut Bar, Favorites Menu and Start Menu

Hi.
I added my own shortcut bar to the taskbar and recently I have a frustrating problem with it. After restart trying to open anything using shortcuts from that shortcut bar I have to wait about one minute till the bar becomes usable and during waiting time the computer is completely stuck. After that I can use the bar fine, even after hibernation and resume of windows the bar works fine. But after restart shortcut bar would become ?heavy? for about a minute again.
Anyone know such stupid cases?
For information I would like to mention that my Favorites Menu and the Start Menu are also very ?heavy? recently. I have many shortcuts in both menus but that shouldn?t make these menus so much heavy. Moving my mouse over shortcuts I see icons getting accessible so slowly as the menus would have 100 gigabytes, and that is weird.
Any help would be really appreciated.
Thanks.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: A really ?heavy? Shortcut Bar, Favorites Menu and Start Menu
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: A really ?heavy? Shortcut Bar, Favorites Menu and Start Menu
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
try this

i want you to right click any of your shortcuts there on your shortcut bar.. and rightclick it and select properties... now look carefully for the path "target" ... when you see the target path.... make sure it is c:\ProgramFiles\then your program exe.. nothing else.. then come back here if ya still need help
Also please make sure you have administrator rights on the account you are logged onto your system with

- Collapse -
Problem still there...

I think it is not about the path... it is all ok with the path of all icones. This problem actually is everywhere in all menus default ones and the one created by me.
There must be a problem there...

- Collapse -
Re: A really heavy Shortcut Bar, Favorites Menu and Start

For the slow Start Menu, you can try the following things:

1.Change the video settings to a lower resolution and colors.

2. Lower the MenuShowDelay value in the registry (see Microsoft Windows XP Registry Guide)

3. Use TweakUI where you can find some repair functions, as well as some icon size's tweaks.

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

- Collapse -
Done before...

Thanks...
Done that in first row before...
Didn't help much...

- Collapse -
Re: Done before...

In this case, you can create a new account and add the items as per your wish. Maybe you have an account corruption.

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

- Collapse -
Yeah, could be.

Yeah, could be so, thanks.

CNET Forums

Forum Info