General discussion

A question of Style

Some of you have probably already heard about the newest revision of the governments recommendations for a healthy diet. If not, they are summarized at http://www.choosemyplate.gov/

I was amused when I looked at the new campaign's Style Guide because there are some very rigid rules for how the graphics can be used, but the authors of the Style Guide did not follow their own rules for the amount of clear space around the graphic (eg: on p 6 of the style guide). I guess consistency is too much to ask of designers.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: A question of Style
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: A question of Style
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
(NT) Exactly what are you addressing? Food or style?
- Collapse -
Why should I have to choose?

This is, by definition, an off-topic forum, so why should a post have just one topic?

- Collapse -
On a related note ...

NPR talked about past dietary recommendations: http://www.npr.org/2011/06/07/136889407/how-uncle-sam-helps-define-americas-diet

I was amused to see the old 7 food group pie chart that included the BUTTER group. My times have changed.

I'm still waiting for the government's advisory boards to catch up to the cutting edge research demonstrating that chocolate, which supplies at least 13 essential nutrients found in no other food, should be its own food group with a recommendation for daily consumption.

- Collapse -
Makes sense; you're a doctor; I'm

off to the Mars factory. Happy

- Collapse -
(NT) Sorry Doug, it's the expensive 95% Cocoa Lindt bars for you.
- Collapse -
Could that be the secret to Britain's comparative longevity

despite the worst diet in the world (save for Scotland). Their two primary food groups are Tea, hot strong and often, though sullied with milk, and Chocolate. English people consume more per capita than anywhere else in the world. Of course chocolate contains serotonin which in it's inverse version is the basis of most anti-depressants these days. Wait, Selective Serotonin Re-Uptake Inhibitors. That should mean chocolate shouldn't be good for depressives. Maybe chocolate just has the right ones. Happy

You know, you work hard at it for years, you read the literature, you deliberately eavesdrop on medical conversations and even ask intelligent questions, and it's still not as good as going to medical school. Sad

Rob

- Collapse -
Actually, serotonin likely would improve depression symptoms

Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors actually increase serotonin effects in the body. They selectively block the pre-synaptic receptors that down-regulate serotonin release.

I don't know that oral administration of serotonin does much, I haven't researched the question, but I would expect increasing cerebral serotonin levels to improve depression symptoms.

I'm told, however, that ingestion of the pink bananas in Central America will improve depression symptoms though the mechanism was not stated.

Sounds like time for a chocolate banana milkshake.

- Collapse -
"chocolate banana milkshake."

Say, you are a good doctor!

- Collapse -
(NT) Elvis?? Is that you?? :-)
- Collapse -
Oh heck....

I got the "plate graphic" and then the pamphlet handed to me to watch my diet. You know that lasted about 3 weeks. I got so "retentive" I went back though less of the old foods. I still watch what I eat but man, they got me absolutely in the pits trying to live like that.

CNET Forums