Windows Vista forum

General discussion

A question about Windows Vista that is driving me nuts

Okay I just got a new computer and there is something about Windows Vista I do not understand. I am daily losing a couple GB of space and I have no idea where it is going. http://img66.imageshack.us/my.php?image=63444476ur7.jpg For example a couple hours ago it said 481 Gb. Does anyone have any idea what is going on, because this is really driving me nuts that I don't know where this space is going or when it will stop doing it and I am not doing anything that requires a lot of space just browsing the web. It does this daily and I am just wondering why.

Thank you

Michelle

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: A question about Windows Vista that is driving me nuts
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: A question about Windows Vista that is driving me nuts
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Thank you

In reply to: Start with our forum note about this.

I just don't want to run out of disk space. I only have Vista Premium so this operating system does not support Shadow copies. System Restore May be the issue or it could be something else, I have no idea. Just as long as it stops doing it so I don't run out of disk space. It looks like 7.94 GB is reserved for virtual memory on this computer although I have 4 GB of memory on this computer. Windows Vista is really memory hungry.

Another question I noticed something with this computer. There is a Factory image on this computer and it is labeled D. I am wondering if you can actually get the computer back to factory settings without the need for disks, though I am going to get them anyway. I was just wondering if it is possible to restore the computer back to factory settings without the need for cds. Thank you.

Michelle

Collapse -
Generally so, but...

In reply to: Thank you

Most manufacturers now let you boot directly to the recovery partition using a designated key during boot, but that doesn't protect you should the partition become corrupt or the hard drive fail. If space isn't an issue you can leave the partition around after you burn/order the CDs, but it wouldn't hurt to remove it either.

John

Collapse -
Thank you, going to keep it on

In reply to: Generally so, but...

in case something happens to the cd drive itself not working or something like that. I had that happen before a couple years ago with our first computer and it wouldn't read disks and we didn't get that fixed for a couple of months so I had to be very careful about the stuff I downloaded and installed. Today I ran the crucial.com scanner and it gave me a bsod on this computer. I ran it again to make sure it was the scanner that was giving me the problem and I got it again, don't know what it is.

Thank you for your help Bob and John and have a greet weekend.

Michelle

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.