Laptops forum

General discussion

A question about upgrading laptop

by Stevel024 / September 15, 2006 5:20 AM PDT

I have a hp pavilion zd8000 that has a desktop p4 processer with h/t. Is it possible at all to upgrade my processer to a Dual Core or a Core 2? I've tried to find out what socket I have but have had no such luck. My motherboard is a Quanta 3082. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: A question about upgrading laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: A question about upgrading laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Nope. . .
by Coryphaeus / September 15, 2006 7:57 AM PDT

As a general, and 99.99% rule, laptops cannot upgrade/change processors.

Collapse -
But what if...
by Stevel024 / September 15, 2006 1:06 PM PDT
In reply to: Nope. . .

But I could get a better p4 processer right?

Collapse -
P4? If so, a slower unit with less Watts would be better.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 15, 2006 1:11 PM PDT
In reply to: But what if...

But 999 out of 1000 notebooks can't change the CPU so this is best left as-is. Look to other parts for updates such as RAM and faster hard disks.

Bob

Collapse -
Not so sure...
by Stevel024 / September 15, 2006 4:07 PM PDT

My ram is already at 2 gb the only thing that would improve it is to buy higher mhz but I don't know if they're compatible

And I have a 5,400 rpm hard drive but I don't know any hard drives that are compatible with my laptop, also not sure if it will help improve my fps

Collapse -
Sounds like your machine is maxed out.
by Coryphaeus / September 15, 2006 9:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Not so sure...

You'll have to live with it or buy a new one.

Laptops are not designed to be upgradable except for RAM and on some models the HD and optical drive. It's just the nature of the beast.

Collapse -
The problems I've seen with P4 laptops is heat.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 15, 2006 11:10 PM PDT
In reply to: Not so sure...

More MHz would likely mean more heat and crashes so in my view not an upgrade. If one could drop from say 3GHz to 2GHz and drop the Watts from 85 to 55 then that would be a big improvement to the heat and battery problems I see with P4 laptops.

But that's not an option for 99.99% of laptops out there.

Bob

Collapse -
But then...
by Stevel024 / September 16, 2006 9:46 AM PDT

If I got a 2.0 ghz p4 Processer my performance would be slowed down even more and I would get less fps in games.

Collapse -
For FPS in games you need better video chips.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 16, 2006 10:17 AM PDT
In reply to: But then...

If you read Tomshardware.com much you find that the CPU is not the deciding factor in FPS.

In your case I'd peg the RAM at 1 or 2 GB, get the 7200 RPM hard drive and save up for a gamer machine.

Bob

Collapse -
But it helps..
by Stevel024 / September 16, 2006 12:49 PM PDT

But it helps to have a good processer to do all that calculating. And a lower processer will bottleneck the gpu. Gaming laptops are too expensive anyway... a 2.0ghz p4 today wouldn't really be that good

Collapse -
For comparison then...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 16, 2006 1:34 PM PDT
In reply to: But it helps..

My kid wanted a faster machine. I upgraded the video card and it's much faster. No CPU upgrade could have delivered such a punch.

Given the discussion so far you are looking for RAM and hard disks.

Bob

Collapse -
Well...
by Stevel024 / September 16, 2006 4:37 PM PDT
In reply to: For comparison then...

Obviously if you have a core 2 duo but still use an ATI rage card then of course your not gonna get good performance. The thing is I already know that I can't change my graphics card, my ram is already maxed out, and I doubt I could change my hard drive, so I thought that a new processer might be able to get me better performance.

Collapse -
Let's get down to "it".
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 17, 2006 1:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Well...

Have you found out if your CPU is removeable?

Many are not. The real trouble here is that to find you you have to take the notebook apart or get lucky that you find a document about it.

-> The real killer here is that from memory your CPU choices are severely limited to the family of CPU you have now. Plus the extra Watts to be dissipated is not in the original design. The killer item number 2 is how are you going to get rid of the added heat?

Bob

Collapse -
Don't Know
by Stevel024 / September 17, 2006 6:02 AM PDT

Didn't know if it was, hence I asked the forum.

Collapse -
I think the answer was at this link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 17, 2006 6:36 AM PDT
Collapse -
You can help yourself
by samkh / September 17, 2006 9:51 AM PDT

by going to hp.com and typing your model number in search. The maintenance manual will give you an idea of which CPUs are supported. Dual cores require different initialization than singles, so even if you found compatible pin-outs and voltages, chances are you won't find the firmware...unless you know how to hack it, in which case you don't need this forum.

Collapse -
zd8000
by brem99 / October 6, 2006 9:08 AM PDT

As Steven will agree, the only problem with a ZD8000 is the heat. Although I haven't measured the temperature it can get very hot when working hard (so can the power supply) but at 180w what do you expect. The graphic card & screen are outstanding. The CPU socket is 775 pin so a Pentium D will fit, but as yet I haven't found out if the 915 chipset will run it at all or if so will there be any speed benefit. It should run cooler though.

Collapse -
Interesting...
by Stevel024 / October 6, 2006 12:38 PM PDT
In reply to: zd8000

So I can replace the CPU huh? But not sure if I want to replace it with a dual core because it might get too hot... also the heat sink won't fit... I just wanted to see if the new Core 2's could fit because they run with lower heat

Collapse -
Core 2
by brem99 / October 6, 2006 3:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Interesting...

Core 2 chips also use the 775 socket but require a 965 chipset or higher to operate, unfortunately the ZD8000 only has a 915 chipset

Collapse -
Darn...
by Stevel024 / October 6, 2006 3:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Core 2
Sad
Collapse -
upgrade
by brem99 / October 7, 2006 8:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Darn...

The next option to investigate is - will a motherboard from the DV8300 which runs a core duo processor fit in the zd8000 box? I have no idea if HP will sell one or whether the cost would be prohibitive, but it still gives us hope. Another unknown is the video card. My model is the zd8002ap with a wsxga screen (1680 x 1050)- the DV8300 is only offered with 1440 x 900 (in Australia anyway)so I don't know if the card will drive the monitor to the max. or will I have to live with lower resolution.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?