Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

A question about reformatting

by BowHunter777 / December 10, 2007 1:42 PM PST

Hey Guys
I'm about to reformat my computer (XP Home)and since I haven't done this before I have a couple of questions about backing up certain things.Can I back up programs like for example Nero?.Programs that that I don't have installation disks for or do I just have to get them later?. I've backed up pretty well everything I want to keep like "My Documents","My Pictures" and things like that.Is there anything that I should absolutely not forget to back up other then the things I mentioned?.Any help or suggestions would really help because as I said I've never done this before. Thanks Guys.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: A question about reformatting
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: A question about reformatting
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sorry. Programs don't backup.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 10, 2007 2:02 PM PST
Collapse -
That's OK
by BowHunter777 / December 11, 2007 12:28 PM PST

I'm not to concerned about the programs,I'll just get them later.
I really just wanted to know if I could do it to save some time.About the reformatting, I had to have my motherboard changed a couple of months ago and when we went to reinstall my XP Home there was a bad scratch on my disk and the computer could'nt read it,I had to send away for a new disk but in the mean time I had a copy of XP Pro from another computer I had so I just had that installed temporarily until my new disk came. Now that I've got the new disk I have to take this (XPPro)out and put my XP Home back in.So that's where I'm at. Thanks allot Bob for taking the time to answer.

Collapse -
Backup programs
by Neil Bradley / December 14, 2007 11:49 AM PST

You can backup(image) your entire hard drive with software called Acronis. Also Norton Ghost can be used ; I myself use Acronis. Good luck-google it.

Collapse -
Some web down loaded programs yes others no
by Dango517 / December 14, 2007 12:40 PM PST

more no then yes

Collapse -
Some programs able to backup
by frollo17 / December 14, 2007 7:54 PM PST

I've used Norton 360 as backup and it does a very good job backing up certain programs and installations.

Collapse -
OK
by BowHunter777 / December 29, 2007 1:45 PM PST

Hey Guys
Just wanted to say thanks allot for all the help.

Collapse -
Reformat
by gysgtusmc74 / December 31, 2007 11:06 AM PST

Dont forget to save your favorites and your address book if you use outlook or outlook express. And save your emails too if you used outlook or OE.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!