Speakeasy forum

General discussion

A question about Obamacare

by TONI H / October 14, 2013 7:47 AM PDT

The law, as it was written, was that people who were enrolled would have to pay for four years before getting any benefits from it.

Even though Obamacare was voted in in 2010, and some benefits (children under 26 could stay on their parents' coverage, and no one could be turned down for pre-existing conditions, for example) were started early, but nobody was actually enrolled in the program that doesn't actually start until 2014 (four years after it was passed into law).

Question......since there was nobody paying into it and they won't be until Jan 1, 2014, does that mean that nobody will actually receive benefits from Obamacare until 2018? And if that's true, how many people realize that they are going to be paying for something they won't have access to for four more years?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: A question about Obamacare
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: A question about Obamacare
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Can't answer your question but I'm quite certain that
by Steven Haninger / October 14, 2013 8:33 AM PDT

many insurance plans allowed children to be covered by their parent's family policies until age 26 already. I could only guess that Obamacare made age 26 the standard for all rather than inventing it. As to how long one must pay into a plan before receiving coverage, it's my understanding that private insurance companies are handling that part already. You'd be covered from the time the policy is in force. That would mean coverage would begin on Jan. 1st for those previously uninsured who had enrolled in the new plan. What one pays depends on some scaled formula. The government will subsidize the premiums for persons whose income qualifies them for assistance. It's my understanding that the fines paid by those who don't enroll are to go for that purpose. It's not like some annuity that pays benefits at a later pre-determined date.

Collapse -
Actually my understanding of it
by TONI H / October 14, 2013 8:59 AM PDT

was that those who already had coverage that the companies only changed to adhere to the new Obama regulations but continued (many with higher premiums or deductibles now) would be okay because their coverage would just continue. But since many didn't have any coverage at all and will just now be enrolling, they will only have coverage after the first four years' worth of premiums are paid into it. I distinctly recall the 'pay for four, collect for six' outcry going on because that was what the CBO was using to figure out the cost....and even that turned out to be a joke at only about a third of what they are saying now.

Collapse -
searching your phrase
by Roger NC / October 14, 2013 9:20 AM PDT

pay for four, collect for six

turns up links that seem to talk about taxes and fees started when the law was passed while the coverage doesn't start till 2014 and pay out doesn't start until 2014.

The main complaint seems to be that the figures that it would balance income outgo in 10 years. The opposing argument is the math is flawed because the new fees and taxes would be collected for six year before payout started. I'm not sure how that plays with no public option, I guess they are talking about subsidies.

In a rather short survey, it doesn't seem to mean the subsidies and coverage won't start in 2014, but that the math that claims balance after 10 years takes in money for 6 years before it payouts start.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.