Speakeasy forum

General discussion

A question about glasses frames

Ive seen prices for titanium frames, and thought to myself, whyre they so high? Later, I saw some drugstore sunglasses with titanium frames for about 20 bucks, so Ive been wondering for some time why the huge discrepancy. I got to thinking maybe I could buy a pair of sunglasses and ask them to put my lenses in them.

Just a little question Ive pondered.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: A question about glasses frames
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: A question about glasses frames
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: A question about glasses frames

In reply to: A question about glasses frames

i think the drug store frames arent going to hold your lenses

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: A question about glasses frames

Yep, I'm with Mark on this.

I know, also, that the drug store sunglasses I have bought do not have that "spring" in the temples. And perhaps the frames cannot be adjusted to the right "height", and to keep them from getting lop-sided.

Of course, it could depend on your prescription, so I really don't know.

With all of the ads for "designer' frames, my guess is that the cost of advertising contributes. But there are shops around here that advertise quite often "two for one, including designer frames".

My new glasses are so light I can hardly feel them. The frames are some sort of very thin plastic stuff, and the lenses some sort of polymer.

Angeline
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: A question about glasses frames

I want to get that titanium stuff that you can twist around, and itll spring back to the way it was. Not that I would be doing that on purpose...

Anyway, Im not sure the type Im looking for has springs in the temple. Its just one piece.

Collapse -
glasses frames/two reasons for cost (my guess)

Two things that drive up prices in other markets are designers and insurance. Many glasses frames have designer names on them. This does not mean the quality of the material or workmanship is necessarily better. It does mean the price goes up. Next, because vision care is part of many employees comprehensive medical coverage, providers inflate the charges to offset the lower fees they recover from insurance agreements. In fact, it's the game played between insurance companies and medical providers that's a major reason that costs to the uninsured are so outrageous. My rant....

Collapse -
hmm

In reply to: glasses frames/two reasons for cost (my guess)

I noticed that after my I started using my insurance, from my new job, the clinic was getting more from the insurance companies than they were charging me.

Collapse -
Heavens to betsy ........yes....

just about any eyeglass store will put Rx glass in almost any frame. I've had it done many times with sunglasses frames, even with no tint.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) PS.....At no additional cost..most places.

In reply to: Heavens to betsy ........yes....

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Verrrry interrresting [fake accent]

In reply to: Heavens to betsy ........yes....

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.