HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

a problem with XP

by donsms / May 13, 2006 11:37 AM PDT

A while back, a year I guess, we had our dial up modem go bad and had to be be replaced. At the time we had Windows 98 on our computer, witch is a Gateway and 98 came already installed. Well Windows 98 would not reconise the new modem so the shop had to install XP to get it to work. No problems still get updates but we still get the message the our XP is not genuine. I have done sent Microsoft a e-mail explaining the problem. Any advice? I want to get this sorted out. Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: a problem with XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: a problem with XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sadly the shop did you no favor.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 13, 2006 12:10 PM PDT
In reply to: a problem with XP

If they installed a bogus XP to fix it and left you with a ticking timebomb, the issue is not something Microsoft may fix. You have to ask how you'll get out of this pickle.

The usual is to get your XP CD out and perform a PARALLEL INSTALL using your CD KEY to activate your license. Then you install all the drivers and then reach over into the old installation and save your files.

Bob

Collapse -
fingers crossed
by donsms / May 14, 2006 12:27 AM PDT

I got a e-mail from Microsoft and will have to call and explain the problem. Will keep you posted. Thanks

Collapse -
follow up
by donsms / May 25, 2006 1:05 PM PDT
In reply to: fingers crossed

To make a long story short. The XP that was installed was for business not home use. After biting the bullet and paying a hamsome price the fix was very easy to do. Now waiting on the CD-ROM for just in case.
Thanks

Collapse -
It would have been a lot easier
by glb613 / May 25, 2006 9:03 PM PDT
In reply to: follow up

to replace your modem with one that's compatible with Windows 98. They still make them and they aren't that difficult to find. I'm surprised a repair shop couldn't find one to work with your machine. I wouldn't do business with them anymore. Hope you get things straightened out.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.