Question

A problem I can't solve

Hello everyone,

I suddenly find I can't open any .jpg, .bmp or gif files and I can't open some .doc files too. Nothing will open any pic files I've tried Windows P&F Viewer, Irfan View, Fireworks, Windows Media Player, Internet Explorer etc. etc. believe me I've tried everything and nothing will open them. Some report "Unknown file type" some report "cannot read header" some "preview unavailable", I've hundreds of files collected over the years and the problem began a couple of days ago. I've checked the file associations and run all my security softwares and everything reports OK. I've not download and installed any new programmes recently. Operating system is Windows XP home version SP3. Has anyone any idea what may be causing this problem please and more importantly how to put it right?

Kind regards,

Oliver

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: A problem I can't solve
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: A problem I can't solve
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Too slim on clues.

But you write you tried everything so did you go get HIJACKTHIS to create a log file then proceed to understand each line in the log file then ask others or google the lines you didn't understand?

I've done that too many times and found odd things, conflicts in software (Teatimer being one of the more famous ones) and more.

-> In parting. You may not have downloaded anything new but those security apps, Microsoft do that for you.
Bob

- Collapse -
Answer
Re: can't open pics and some docs

So you run such a program, from the menu use File>Open, browse to a file it used to open and it gives such an error. Then the assumption is the file is corrupted.

Now on another PC copy a non-corrupted picture or document to your USB-stick, make it read-only, check that you can open it there and - if all is fine - repeat the above experiment, browsing to that file on that USB-stick. What happens?

Of course, you've got a backup copy of all these files collected over the years, so - once this problem is solved and everything is working again - you've lost nothing. But it is certainly is a nuisance.

Kees

CNET Forums