Speakeasy forum

General discussion

A poem for the Bush millenium.

by Ziks511 / November 14, 2004 10:14 PM PST

written before the election began this year.

Step Forth Caligula

Step forth Caligula
Son of the rotten branch
"Little Cowboy Boots"
So cosseted and petted with contempt and promises
"Doesn't matter what you do, we'll hide it and make it right
"We'll poison your opponents and bribe your friends,
"Ruin a governorship, spend all its capital and drive it to bankruptcy
" 's a childish prank, the Empire's full of provinces, the people just cattle
"We shear them as sheep, don't we? Let's shear a few more
"Jobs from the workshops, but not from the backrooms of the Palace
"For where, to whom, would the tax cuts go?"

If you give a poor man his taxes he buys food, a new pair of shoes, a tunic even second hand.
If you give a rich man his taxes he takes his holidays in Aegyptus. Invests in Antioch or
Pergamon or Palmyra and knows he's secure for life, his money never comes home.

Rome? Rome just loses its money which brings on the next savage taxation, or the next war for booty and the slaves who'll steal my job.

What do I need with Partian Oil? I need a f**king job, and a pair of boots to keep out the sh*t on the roads, but more, food so my children don't whimper at night.

And maybe, someday, some cheap Falernian so I can remember why I love my wife...

The Emperor Caligula's name is derived from the word caliga which is a roman soldier's boot or footwear, adding "ul" near the end puts it in the diminutive. translation "little boot" .

Rob Boyter

If this be treason, make the most of it.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: A poem for the Bush millenium.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: A poem for the Bush millenium.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What strikes me most about many things coming from the left
by Kiddpeat / November 14, 2004 11:18 PM PST

is that, perhaps unconsciously, what is said and written applies to themselves rather than the target of their wrath.

Thus, they scream of how Bush is destroying civil rights. They accuse him of fascism, but, when they lose the election, they scream 'Democracy be damned!', we must have OUR way. Thus, they attack with slimy innuendo and dark whispering that cannot survive the light of day. They call for the imposition of their will by the elite, and, failing that, a dissolution of the country. At the end of the day they call themselves 'patriots' resisting the assaults of the Christian hordes. Do you think John Kennedy would write of them in Profiles in Courage?

Can a Canadian commit treason by attacking the President of the United States?

Collapse -
Re: What strikes me most about many things coming from the l
by Josh K / November 14, 2004 11:28 PM PST

Who called for "the dissolution of the country" other than in a bunch of humorous cartoons?

Oh....right....that was that bunch of "red" states that SECEDED FROM THE UNION in 1861. "Real Americans" waving Confederate flags, LOL.

We "blue staters" may joke about starting our own country but we're not the ones who actually tried to do it.

Collapse -
Lawrence O'Donnell was quite serious about it.
by Kiddpeat / November 14, 2004 11:32 PM PST

The transcript is probably on The McLaughlin Group web site by now, and I saw the program. I haven't seen it, but the radio says Clarence Paige has now picked up the idea.

Collapse -
Re: A poem for the Bush millenium.
by MarciaB / November 15, 2004 12:22 AM PST

Me thinks thou doth not like our President ..... ?

Me also thinketh that thou wantest us to knoweth this one more time(eth).

Collapse -
an exemplary kind of opponent response
by netsky / November 15, 2004 1:57 AM PST

i judge ye lest some less Temperate man would do that in rashness unlikely.

There be no wrong in your Right as in prior post advanced.

Collapse -
Re: an exemplary kind of opponent response
by MarciaB / November 15, 2004 3:24 AM PST

Thank you, I appreciate your accolades.

Do you feel that Rob cannot comment himself to responses made to his originating post?

If you were the one that I had "helping" me - I do believe I would tell you to BUTT OUT!

Are you allowed to make posts to whatever you wish? YES!

Do you often insert your virtual foot into your virtual mouth whenever you do? YES!

Nevertheless -

Collapse -
exemplary kind of opponent response, alas, rescinded
by netsky / November 15, 2004 4:31 AM PST

We all are allowed to insert ourselves into any point of discussion.

I have tried that now three times to rebutt KP but see each attempt yanked.

That is why i said "i cannot speak" to EdH. Immoderation!

To you, becuase you outright insult my attempted moderate 'thanks' to you (accloade, not really) you insult me back so i can say, uh THIS much or they will yank me:

that was rude and ungracious reply from you, Marcia.

I'd say more, but for the highly subjective rulers of moderation here make some veiwpoints and ways of expressing them MORE equal than others.

yes to that but to close on an unassailable point:to my attempted, sincere nice word, you reject that hurled it back with disruptive offensiveness.

I have NEVER EVER done any such thing to any poster here. That is, i do not affront the most basic marker of civilized mankind as you so proudly do above me here.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) GET OVER IT!!!!
by EdH / November 15, 2004 12:47 AM PST
Collapse -
Re: (NT) GET OVER IT!!!!
by netsky / November 15, 2004 3:17 AM PST
In reply to: (NT) GET OVER IT!!!!

i cannot speak

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Sore loser huh?
by C1ay / November 15, 2004 1:42 AM PST
Collapse -
Re: between the rock and the hard place?
by jonah jones / November 15, 2004 2:37 AM PST

yo! you make it sound as if people had to choose between a gay-basher and a vet-basher....

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) a reply to a pulled post?
by jonah jones / November 15, 2004 2:38 AM PST
Collapse -
by Ziks511 / November 15, 2004 4:03 AM PST

Teh poem was written, as mentioned at the top of the original post in either February or March of 2004 and just after reading Bushwhacked by Molly Ivins and collaborator. It has NOTHING to do with the election. I would have looked somewhere for a publisher but I have a life and no time to do that. Additionally I live in Canada and have domewhat less access to US publishers because of that. I still like the poem, which is rarely true 6 months after I've written one.

Marcia's first post is generous and apposite. Kidpeat's is out in left field, excuse me, Right field somewhere addressing his idea of the mythical left and has nothing to do with th poem. KP you have a tendency to address your audience like a public meeting. Similarly, EdH who had he been paying attention would have noticed my post from November 3rd, Bush Won and We're Over It (NT) post. It ain't about the election. Ditto to Clay.

It was written about Character and historical accidents and parallels and as an expression of my apprehensions then which have been reinforce by subsequent events, but aren't about them. It was a jeux d'esprit.

Apparently the esprit was in the right place

Rob Boyter

Collapse -
by MarciaB / November 15, 2004 4:39 AM PST

"Marcia's first post is generous and apposite. "

Thanks, Rob! Happy

(thanks, also, for not mentioning the 2nd post. Was a bit perturbed - hate it when that happens! But, ahhhh, as some are so fond of saying, we are only human - id, ego, and/or superego prevailing

Collapse -
Posting it had nothing to do with the election?
by EdH / November 15, 2004 4:42 AM PST

Pardon my skepticism.

Collapse -
be skeptical all you want. I sent it to a friend 2 days ago
by Ziks511 / November 15, 2004 5:20 AM PST

He said PUBLISH! PUBLISH! so I did. Otherwise it would have stayed in my drawer. I will say that I should have gotten it published in a proper venue well before the election.

Rob Boyter

Collapse -
Fine, publish.
by EdH / November 15, 2004 6:15 AM PST

Lots of Bush hating being published these days anyway. I am sick of the constant stream. Hold up a mirror to yourselves says I.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!