Video Games & Consoles forum

General discussion

A Playstation 2, with, quite frankly, a mind of its own...

by Me, Myself and You / October 22, 2007 8:27 AM PDT

Hi guys and guyesses, I have a really odd one here.

A few months ago, I came to this very forum with my Playstation 2 problem number one: Horrible noises coming from the disk drawer and no disks being read. Over time, the problem seemed to pretty much remedy itself, and before I knew it I was happy again playing games. However, a few weeks afterwards, it went downwards again until eventually nothing would play on it, and the disk drawer sounded like it was going to explode.

I left it a few weeks and declared defeat, until eventually I took it apart and tried to fix it. No go. I did that again today, almost at the point of desperation of not being able to play some games. I managed to get it much further apart this time, and was able to successfully clean the laser. I put it back together, and I put in my favourite game of all time, Duke Nukem 3D. Lo and behold, the game plays, and the disk drawer operates as quietly as anything. The machine operates like new.

But. There is a BIG but here. I put in a PS2 game, and it fails to recognise it. In fact, a few playstation games (and even a DVD movie) will not even register at all, yet my classic PS1 titles, Quake 2, Duke Nukem 3D, etc, work flawlessly. It's as if the machine just doesn't want to read any DVD disks - at all.

To be totally truthful, this isn't a "fix it" post, but rather a "what the hell?!" post. I mainly wanted to put the machine back together to play my classic titles, such as Duke Nukem, and the fact that I can do so makes me very happy indeed, but it is very confusing as to why this is happening. Are my days with this machine numbered?

Perhaps retrogaming is making a comeback... LOL.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: A Playstation 2, with, quite frankly, a mind of its own...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: A Playstation 2, with, quite frankly, a mind of its own...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Depending on what you used
by Jimmy Greystone / October 22, 2007 8:52 AM PDT

Depending on what you used to clean off the laser lens, you may well have damaged it to where it's unable to read DVD media. Depending on how much of it you took apart, and how careful you were in doing it, you might have even damaged some of the circuitry.

Since it sounds like you have a "fat" PS2 unit, you might want to consider just using a program like HDLoader. I only recommend its use with games that you actually own. If you have the network adapter for the PS2, you can install a hard drive inside of it (up to 200GB IIRC) and load copies of your game discs onto that hard drive and play them from there. Not all games will work, but there's something like a 95% success rate for games. You'll probably have to use the Independence Exploit, which requires you either have a modchip or someone else with a chipped or exploited system to install the exploit onto a memory card for you. You can then use a program like WinHiiP to load games onto the hard drive.

Again, I only recommend this for games that you actually own, since HDLoader doesn't make any effort to distinguish between games you own and games you may have pirated.

Another option is to get a whole new lens unit from a place like Divineo. If you know which version your console is (there were 10 revisions of the "fat" models IIRC) you might be able to find a replacement lens unit or even a whole new drive. That will probably run you $50-60 if they even have any in stock.

The final option is to just buy a new slim PS2. At about $130, it's only about twice that of the new lens (if my estimates are correct) for a whole new system. Meaning a brand new drive without the years of wear and tear the current one has.

Collapse -
I was thinking of doing that, thanks.
by Me, Myself and You / October 22, 2007 8:56 AM PDT

I just used a tissue to clear the lens, and very, VERY lightly touched over it a few times. I don't know how sensitive they are. Funny, how it seemed to fix one error (allowed me to play PS1 games) and yet seemed to not fix the other (play DVDs). Strange.

What I'll probably do is buy the slim unit with the money I will get from a load of old games I'm selling. So really, it's win win.

I feel better now Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.