General discussion

A PC Notebook for a Multimedia Designer Recommandation?

Hello,

My name is Boaz and i'm a design student in the Netherlands. For 4.5 years I've been using a pc desktop computer (PIII 866Mhz, 512MB, Matrox Millenium 450, and in total 450GB of storage space) which has served me well for both graphic (Photoshop, Illustrator) and video (Premiere, After Effects)applications. Lately, unfortunatlly, it seems to be losing it.. I've just recovered from a HD crash and its really about time for a new computer.

So.. I've decided to GO MOBILE, so i'm looking for computer which could serve me well in the fields mentioned above (3D is not relevant!). I've been reading alot in the last couple of weeks and I'm pretty much overwhelmed by information, yet I'd highly appriciate some advices, preferably BASED ON PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, prefferably from someone who's also in the field of design.

Most people I know use a PowerBook, which I'd rather not convert to, unless a striking convincing argument is behind it?

THANKS ALOT!

Greetings, Boaz

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: A PC Notebook for a Multimedia Designer Recommandation?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: A PC Notebook for a Multimedia Designer Recommandation?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
My new(?) laptop.

I couldn't resist a refurb Compaq Athlon 64 2.0GHz with all the trimming except DVD recorder for $829. It's more of a desktop replacement and is indeed portable as I used it on a demo session of my Palm software.

The neighbor picked up the Compaq V2030 which is very nice, less weight and more portable. I'd get one of those (or the DV1000 lineup) if I wasn't so keen about 64-bit. That was under 1200 bucks.

I've keep my reply to units that I see daily. My old and trusty Acer ter600 (p3-600) got a new 40G 5400 RPM HD and a 24X CDRW/DVD drive so I'll keep that around since its quite a sight to see the new portable demo with a trio of laptops on an adhoc WiFi network. I shudder to think what such a setup would have cost just 2 or so years ago.

Bob

- Collapse -
mac

You said you would not want to make the conversion to Powerbooks unless you heard a really good argument. Well this may not be a good argument but I think it is simply a known fact to computer savvy people that Macintosh computers are better for photo and video editing and simply dominate in this area. I am definitely NOT a Mac fan but yet I would still reccomend you taking a look at them and finding out why it is that Macs are so much better in this field. I dont know the reason WHY myself, but I just hear all the time that they are supposed to be way better for your kind of work. My bro uses one because he is into graphics and a friend of mine uses one as well becasue he is into making videos.

CNET Forums

Forum Info