Forum Feedback & Announcements forum

General discussion

A new post not showing any results

I have noticed that the Beta Version does not show the number of replys to the original post on a forum.
Here is an example from the top of Speakeasy at 1:30am July 30.
In this case there were 20 replys. Nothing showed on the Speakeasy Forum interface.

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/5506/speakeasyscreenshotvc5.png

Anyone else notice this?

-Kevin

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: A new post not showing any results
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: A new post not showing any results
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It says "Post 1 of 20" in your screenshot...

In reply to: A new post not showing any results

And it also states "Total posts: 20" next to the page numbers. The former is actually missing from Tree view at the moment, a known bug, but otherwise it is as it should be.

John

Collapse -
It says "Post 1 of 20" in your screenshot...

In reply to: It says "Post 1 of 20" in your screenshot...

Thank you John. I am not sure what is happening with this interface at all. I will leave the tech work up to you.
The original did not indicate how many posts there were at all. ZERO!
Say for instance, 20 replys to the original post.
My screen shot was one out of twenty.
Why did the original post not list how many posts there actually were!!

BETA?and all will fall into place?
IT Engineering has a way to go with CNET.
All in all, not that bad for a BETA Version.
I wish them luck.

John, improve it.

-Kevin

Collapse -
Already have...

In reply to: It says "Post 1 of 20" in your screenshot...

Happy

I wrote my own CSS file to shrink the header, add a Tree view selected post outline, widen the entire site to fit my widescreen monitor (designing for 1024x768 is a nice standard, but leaves too much white space at higher resolutions), etc. I like the new site, but I still wanted to put my own touch on it. Here's an example of what I see. (Link)

John
Collapse -
Already have...

In reply to: Already have...

John, good for you! Keep it up. Well you know what I mean?

-Kevin

Collapse -
Already have...

John, looks good!! Nice work.

-Kevin

Collapse -
Thanks for the preview...

Your example looks really good on my monitor. I have delayed using the CSS file pending completion of beta. I like how clean it is without all the wasted space at the top and the sides. Grin

It may make no difference but I decided to wait for the final product. I have printed the CSS instructions for use when the time comes.

Thanks,

Glenn

Collapse -
Too much white space

I often wonder, but I don't lose any sleep over it, why Windows users feel the need to fill the entire screen with a window.
For example, a web page that has been tooled for 1024 X 768 has no information outside of those boundaries so why make the window fill your whole screen?

Does your CSS file cause any distortion on the way things, designed for the "standard", display?
No stretching?

Just curious

P

Collapse -
No distortion...

In reply to: Too much white space

All I've done is expand the boundaries of each element, focusing on the primary content, to achieve the widescreen effect. Thus, the nav panels, images, etc. all maintain the same dimensions while the main content of the page, such as a news article, has more room to expand horizontally. (In short, text is not wrapped around to the next line nearly as often.)

I do not think it's just a Windows perception, though. If I visit news.cnet.com at my resolution of 1440x900, almost half the screen just displays white bars down either side of the page. Yet the news article and the replies thereto may go on for 11 vertical pages. By using my own style sheet I use up the full width of my monitor, otherwise wasted, which in turn reduces the vertical length from 11 pages to perhaps six. It's not that big of a deal, but it's certainly nicer looking in my opinion, making full use of a high resolution widescreen monitor while reducing the amount you must scroll.

John

Collapse -
That makes sense,

In reply to: No distortion...

and would certainly make for easier viewing.

Thanks

P

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.