Laptops forum

Question

A new laptop for mainly 3d design work, but maybe gaming?

by Tomtom9401 / February 23, 2015 10:52 AM PST

Hey guys,

New to the forums, and I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for by searching. I am fairly new to the PC world and have a few potentially simple questions. If I were to look at gaming laptops, would they normally be the best for design work? Mainly I am looking at an MSI Stealth Pro that has these specs:
Intel Core i7-4710HQ (2.5GHz, 6MB Cache)
12GB DDR3L 1600 MHz
1TB 7200RPM Hard Drive, 128GB mSATA Solid-State Drive
17.3-inch Full HD eDP Anti-glare Screen; NVIDIA Geforce GTX970M with 3GB GDDR5 VRAM
Windows 8.1

I have done a bit of research and found that this thing has poor battery life and gets pretty toasty; however I am prepared to deal with this as long as it keeps up. I need something I can lug back and forth to work and use at home for different hobbies. I am under the assumption that basically if it is good for gaming it will be decent for rendering 3d images in my design software, being mostly blender/photoshop/Autocad123. Is there any aspect of laptop hardware that I may be overlooking? Thanks a bunch for the help. Also, I understand that this may be a bit overboard judging by the price, but I would like to have the flexibility of getting into complex video editing and potentially a bit of gaming as well.

On a side note, I recently came upon an interesting concept. Is it at all reasonable to try and maintain an older laptop with decent hardware and use its basics on the go, and have an external video card of my choice and home and office with an added monitor? Or will I need more than just GPU power for my design work? Thanks, Thomas

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: A new laptop for mainly 3d design work, but maybe gaming?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: A new laptop for mainly 3d design work, but maybe gaming?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Sounds right for battery times.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 24, 2015 6:46 AM PST

With such high end GPU and more that should get a few hours tops. What similar laptop did you find that got say 2 hours while gaming or editing HD Video? So far I've yet to see this. Maybe next year?
Bob

Collapse -
Battery Life
by Tomtom9401 / February 24, 2015 8:18 AM PST
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8410/msi-gs60-ghost-pro-3k-review/6

I read 2 hours on a forum some where, though after trying to look it up i found that link. As it turns out this is for the GTX870M graphics card on the older model MSI Ghost Pro. Perhaps with the newer GTX970m it will run more efficiently? Either way I don't plan on being far from a charger. Thanks for the help
Collapse -
Looked up this recently.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 24, 2015 8:25 AM PST
In reply to: Battery Life
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?