Speakeasy forum

General discussion

A Native American journalist on "Mascots and Dignity"

For dignity's sake, stop using Indians as sports mascots.
(Chronicle login: semods4@yahoo.com; pw = speakeasy)

>> The National Congress of American Indians, representing more than 400 Indian nations, passed a resolution opposing the use of Indians as mascots. The Seminole Nation of Florida is a member of NCAI.

The National Indian Education Association, representing nearly every educator, principal, superintendent and student in the country, also passed a resolution opposing the use of Indians as mascots. Nearly every Indian nation in America has passed or is intending to pass, similar resolutions.

The representatives of all the Indian nations in North Dakota recently approved a resolution supporting the NCAA action against the University of North Dakota by asking that the "Fighting Sioux" nickname be changed. The resolution calls on the NCAA to deny an appeal by UND seeking an exemption from the new policy. <<

So much for the "no one really minds it" argument. Meanwhile, there's apparently no truth to the rumor that Stephen F. Austin University of Texas has filed to rename its teams the Stephen Fetchits.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: A Native American journalist on "Mascots and Dignity"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: A Native American journalist on "Mascots and Dignity"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How about doing away with mascots all together?

In reply to: A Native American journalist on "Mascots and Dignity"

Or just use numbers? "The Fighting Ones" vs the "Big Seventy-sixes"?

Collapse -
i hear there is a waiting list

In reply to: How about doing away with mascots all together?

for the '69ers

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I like those. :-)

Collapse -
Many years ago,

U of Chicago gave up its very successful and lucrative varsity football program because of scandals. No nickname; no pigskin. What has the school done since?

http://www.uchicago.edu/

Collapse -
to much pc

they should worry more about there heritage then this

Collapse -
NO ONE has said 'no one really minds it'...

because there are always a few who "mind" most anything.

You have been pointed to SEVERAL articles written by and comments made by SEVERAL Native Americans who definitely DO NOT MIND.

One of those pointed you to the Seminoles of Florida and the only ones who seemed to "mind" were a few from out of state.

What you have "found" is quite similar to the Chiefs of Police supporting gun control while the VAST MAJORITY of police officers do not.

Collapse -
Because there have been complaints,,,,

.... about the Florida State Seminoles and the Atlanta Braves (and the tomahawks) this is the first I have heard about mascots.

Personally I like ''Old Smokey'', the University of Tennessee mascot, the Georgia bulldog, and the Falcon of the Air Force Academy.

However, I'm glad that Carolina doesn't use a live panther, Indianapolis a live colt, Jacksonville a live jaguar. Happy

BTW, I caught the joke. Happy

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Re: Mascots

In reply to: Because there have been complaints,,,,

Shouldn't folks of Gaelic descent be up in arms about the "Fighting Irish"? And why Irish? The school's official name is "La Universite de Notre Dame du Fond du Lac"; it's French, for God's sake! Why not the "Fighting Frogs"?

As for Old Smokey: I thought I saw him in Indy today trying to impersonate Peyton Manning - badly (Although Jacksonville's defense had more than a little to do with it.) Wink

Agree about the Jags and the Panthers - but what'd be wrong with a colt? And just remember: If the Titans had a mascot, wouldn't they be subject to litigation by "little people"? Happy

Collapse -
And don't forget rednecks

In reply to: Re: Mascots

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Minnesota Vikings

Collapse -
"The Oakland Raiders....."

In reply to: (NT) Minnesota Vikings

"...What about the victims? The Virginia Victims, man..."

- George Carlin

Collapse -
Well, in the story they explained why "Fighting Irish" was..

supposedly NOT offensive. But if I took my "Irishness" seriously I probably WOULD be offended. You have a little red haired guy dressed in green spoinling for a fistfight. Isn't that stereotypical and negative?

At the risk of offending others I have to say I find sports and most of the nonsense surrounding them to be really stupid anyway.

Collapse -
Actually, the Irish often refer to their country as

In reply to: Well, in the story they explained why "Fighting Irish" was..

The land of "happy war songs" and "sad love songs" as a real part of their folklore and traditions.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Isn't Ireland also known as the land of Blarney?

In reply to: Actually, the Irish often refer to their country as

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) And "rebel songs" !

In reply to: Actually, the Irish often refer to their country as

Collapse -
Most offensive team/mascot,

the New England PATRIOTS

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Okay, I'll bite. Why?

In reply to: Most offensive team/mascot,

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Liberals hate our Founding Fathers

In reply to: (NT) Okay, I'll bite. Why?

Collapse -
Cuz the left ...

In reply to: (NT) Okay, I'll bite. Why?

... thinks the name was chosen to call them anti-American? Devil

Evie Happy

Collapse -
No,

In reply to: Cuz the left ...

because they let us have guns in the Constitution, and not abortions

Collapse -
Hi, Angeline. There was a thread about this in early August,

In reply to: Because there have been complaints,,,,

when the NCAA announced that no teams with "hostile" or "abusive" Indian mascots would be allowed to use them, or Indian-themed cheers, at NCAA-sanctioned postseason tournaments (notably basketball): see thread here. Unfortunately, the root link is now broken, but here's a link to the original policy announcement on the NCAA site. Since then, they've backpedaled, notably exempting the FSU Seminoles because the Florida Seminole Nation approves the use (though the Seminole tribes in other states definitely do not).

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Wah wah wah

The Indian nations of North Dakota included in its their resolution that the use of the "Sioux" nickname "promotes an atmosphere of hostility on the campus of UND that has resulted in numerous ugly incidents including beatings, vandalism, death threats and other incidents directed toward the American Indian students on campus and others who advocate for changing the name." Before a football game last year students from the opposing team held up posters that read, "The Sioux Suck."

Yes, I'm sure that the nickname is responsible for violence on campus, and if they named themselves the Pansies, it would all go away. Seems reasonable to me that it would be due to the difference in opinion people have, not the actual name. I'm sure the violence would go away if the protests stopped too... anyone thought of that?
"The Sioux Suck?" ok... not even going to go into the ridiculousness of that complaint.

As many schools have shown... it is very likely that schools willc hange their mascots if the namesake tribe says it is offended. Despite these positive changes, activists want to implement a national ban on the use of such mascots, even though some schools' use of Indian mascots is heavily supported by the actual tribe.

And as for Fighting Irish - the nickname itself is judgemental... as if all Irish are belligerent. It calls up an image of drunk Irishmen getting in a fight outside a local bar. Yet, you hear no Irishmen complaining about it...

Collapse -
to quote the late J Cash

In reply to: Wah wah wah

if i had a son, i would call him........... anything but Sioux...

Collapse -
The Sate of Illinois, named for indians

should we rename all the states based on indians?

Collapse -
And so are many cities and counties in many states

In reply to: The Sate of Illinois, named for indians

As well, some were named for statesmen, exporers, etc. to honor them. Rewrites of history, however, have turned many of these from heros to villains. My own town of Columbus falls into such a category and our country is Franklin but Ben wasn't always such a stellar character either. Too much ado about nothing, IMO. To me, PC means "Politically Constipated" and so far no cure has been found.;)

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Not to mention Onondaga County, Oneida, Oswego, etc.

In reply to: The Sate of Illinois, named for indians

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.