Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

A move to allow foreign born to run for President?

by Angeline Booher / February 23, 2004 12:01 AM PST
The Republican governor said anyone who has been a U.S. citizen for at least 20 years -- as he has -- should "absolutely" be able to seek the presidency. A constitutional amendment proposed by Sen. Orrin Hatch, a Utah Republican, would make that possible.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/02/22/elec04.prez.schwarzenegger.ap/index.html

Well, then could we send all of the political jobs overseas, and re-train the out-of-work politicos to flip hamburgers?

Angeline
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com
Discussion is locked
Collapse -
Re:A move to allow foreign born to run for President?
by Josh K / February 23, 2004 12:14 AM PST

Arnold's been governor for what, two months? And he's already got eyes on the White House. Maybe James P. was right after all.

I could just see him donning camouflage paint and capturing bin Laden personally. "Hasta la vista, baby!" LOL.

Collapse -
Re: A move to allow foreign born to run for President?
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / February 23, 2004 1:54 AM PST

Hi, Josh.

The Republicans might just shoot themselves in the foot on this one -- Arnold wouldn't have played well in CA without the crisis, and his popularity there is waning as it's clear he has no magic solutions to the Enron-inspired financial mess, either. Meanwhile, one of the Dems' most charasmatic governors, Jennifer Granholm of Michigan, is currently ineligible because she's Canadian-born.

-- Dave K.
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Re:Re: A move to allow foreign born to run for President?
by gearup / February 23, 2004 2:18 AM PST

I am all for it. When some oil sheik finally buys this country lock ,stock and barrel he should be allowed to buy the Whitehouse too..not just the presidency!

Maybe Osama Bin Laden has a grandson who....

Collapse -
Why are you so dismissive?
by Dale Johnston / February 23, 2004 7:25 AM PST

If a foreigner has taken the oath of allegiance, and sworn themself in as a bona fide US citizen, surely they are as loyal as you to the country. In fact, when was the last time Joe from down the street and lived there his whole lfe took his oath of allegiance?

I suggest to you, that turning one's back on one's own homeland in such a manner as swearing the oath to another country, is as big a demonstration of loyalty to their new home as it gets. If I lived a hundred years in the US (God forbid it should ever happen), or indeed any foreign land, I could never betray my homeland in such a manner.

Collapse -
Not really a move
by Pat S / February 23, 2004 7:35 AM PST

I saw him make the comment. It was in response to a direct question. I took it as an opinion. He made a good point in regards to Globalization. As for us Californians regretting our choice I haven't heard anyone complaining. I don't think we expected miracles. He has had some good ideas and some bad ones but I still think we have more confidence in him than old Grey. Now if you'll excuse me it's time for my daily dose of medicinal marijuana Happy

Collapse -
Re:Not really a move
by Angeline Booher / February 23, 2004 10:23 PM PST
In reply to: Not really a move

Hi, Patrick,

The process to amend the Constitution is a lengthy one, so I seriously doubt it could be in place for it to benefit him personally.

There is no such limitation on the other branches of our government.

Thus, IMO, the foreign born are not excluded from governmental service to the country.

Angeline

Collapse -
Re:Not really a move
by Mary Kay / February 23, 2004 11:46 PM PST
In reply to: Not really a move

Hi Patrick, Do you put that medicinal marijuana between the cheek and gum like snuff? Or is is just tongue in cheek? Happy

Collapse -
Would that work?
by Dan McC / February 24, 2004 12:08 AM PST
In reply to: Re:Not really a move

Are the active ingredients available in sufficient quantity to have an effect when using marijuana as snuff?

Dan

Collapse -
Hi Guys (and Gals)
by Pat S / February 24, 2004 1:51 AM PST
In reply to: Would that work?

It works in Brownies (don't ask how I know that) so I imagine it would work as snuff. In my young and stupid days I tried just about everything. Now that I'm older and more mature I know better. Happy

Collapse -
In the interest of resolving this important issue....
by Josh K / February 24, 2004 1:53 AM PST
In reply to: Hi Guys (and Gals)

...I am willing to volunteer to try it and let you know what happens (or doesn't).

Wink

Collapse -
Thanks for your sacrifice, Josh.
by Dan McC / February 24, 2004 1:59 AM PST

Hey! Can we have some of Patrick's baked goods while we wait for the results of your testing?

Dan

Collapse -
You shouldn't have much problem
by James Denison / February 24, 2004 3:02 AM PST

finding it in North Carolina when you get there. If found while hiking in the woods, just make sure no one is guarding the plot or you may get a plot too.

Collapse -
Re:You shouldn't have much problem
by Josh K / February 24, 2004 5:19 AM PST

North Carolina? Heck, for the sake of this important research I am willing to go all the way to Hawaii.

Paco lolo, anyone?

Happy

Collapse -
Re: Dan, if it ever becomes legal here, I'll let you know. :-) ...nt
by Mary Kay / February 25, 2004 12:55 AM PST
In reply to: Would that work?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!