PC Hardware forum

General discussion

A mouse for the handicaped

XP Pro and IE 7

My dear old mom (87) has terrible tremors and has a very difficult time lining up the cursor to click a link etc. She exchanges emails with friends and family daily. I know how to slow the mouse down, but that isn't really the problem. Her hand jerks around so much that hard to line up at any speed. I'm thinking maybe a sandbag on her wrist.

Anyways, PC mag Feb edition lists Logitech Nulooq as one of 20 best innovations. It's I think 1 lb hockey puck-size device made to use with a mouse. Has anyone tried one of these? I'm thinking the weight of the device would be helpful. Can it open emails etc?

Hope that I've made myself clear for a change.

Any any other suggestions very welcome.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: A mouse for the handicaped
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: A mouse for the handicaped
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have you looked into speech recognition?

In reply to: A mouse for the handicaped

Might not even have to use a mouse.

Collapse -
RE: Have you looked into speech recognition?

In reply to: Have you looked into speech recognition?

william551,

No actually. She has problems speaking coherently too and sometimes can hardly speak at all. She is a cancer surviver of 13 years now and the radiation treatments that saved her life have given her these afflictions. A small price to pay and she is extremely healthy and active both mentally and physically otherwise.

Just goes to show that one can't give too much info when asking a question.

Thanks!

Collapse -
Also, I'd look into batch programming

In reply to: A mouse for the handicaped

where you can record the mouse movements it takes to say "make an email" and then save it to a single icon. Then she only has to double click one icon to execute a series of mouse movements thats automated.

Collapse -
RE: Also, I'd look into batch programming

In reply to: Also, I'd look into batch programming

william551,

I'll think about that a bit. Her problem is hitting even a desktop shortcut icon the first time.

Thanks!

Collapse -
I wonder if you can make icons bigger

In reply to: RE: Also, I'd look into batch programming

maybe setting them off aside from the others and spaced further apart. I know you can go into desktop settings and change the icon spacing width and height. Maybe 80 or 100 is a good setting in "appearance" and "advanced". And then scroll down to icon spacing.

Collapse -
RE: I wonder if you can make icons bigger

In reply to: I wonder if you can make icons bigger

william551,

That's a great start and something I will do.

She has dial-up. Turn on the computer, click the Outlook Express icon that activates her dial-up and opens OE. Inbox set up with separate folders such as family, friends etc. No auto preview pane. The toolbar buttons can be a problem too. She all too often hits Delete instead of Send/Recv after one finger typing out a reply. Simple things like highlighting a line of text to copy and paste are almost impossible.

Trying to give you all a picture of what she has to go though to read & send email etc.

I need to think about that voice recognition some more too. Back in the late 90s I had AOL and there was a version that had what I think was called "AOL Speaks". It was laughingly hopeless and I think the next version did not include it.

Thanks for the replies! I guess that I might have to purchase one of those Logitech Nulooq to see how it works, but will wait a couple of days to see if anyone here is familiar with it first.

Collapse -
Accessiblity

In reply to: RE: I wonder if you can make icons bigger

I hope that you live close by.

The first thing that I might try is using some of the accessibility controls that have been designed for disadvantaged windows users.

She will still have to be somewhat careful, but judicious use might make her more confident.

Collapse -
pfred

In reply to: Accessiblity

Hi,

We've been through the Windows accessibility settings and they aren't good enough.

We live 500 miles apart.

Thanks for your reply!

I'm going to try next a graphics forum for Logitech Nulooq info and then try to find a forum that would know more about speech recognition programs that william551 suggested.

Thanks all!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.