TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

A "Monster" story.

While waiting for my wife to do some shopping, I slipped into my local Ultimate Electronics store to look around. Within 5 minutes, a salesman decends on me and points at a Monster surge protector display. He says "do you own one of these?". Of course, I own nothing with the Monster name plate and mistakenly tell him "No". Big mistake, because he goes into his canned presentation about it conditioning the line and removing noise from the power and improving my picture and sound. He plugs in a little gadget to an outlet and gets some hum. Then plugs it into the Monster and gets no hum. "See!!" he says, "that would show up on your picture and sound". OK, I said, do you have this on your TVs? "Some of them" he replies. Alright, show me. "Well, I don't know which ones, but I have them on all of mine at home." He then tried to go back into his script, but could not SHOW me any evidence that it made anything look or sound better (except for that little noise box he had). Those surge protectors started at about 100 bucks and the only thing he could show me that was filtered out was my wallet. I passed on that one.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: A "Monster" story.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: A "Monster" story.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
JUST ANOTHER "HORROR STORY" ABOUT "MONSTER" PRODUCTS......

In reply to: A "Monster" story.

THE NIGHTMARE CONTINUES.........

River.

Collapse -
That sales atmosphere demonstrates why I only walked into an

Ultimate Electronics store - ONCE. Vultures. Another local electronics/appliance store is the same. Why bother when there are alternatives. I believe Ultimate Electronics is still currently in chapter 11 or whatever bankruptcy. Again, it just kind of demonstrates why.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Be careful, they might sue you :-)

Collapse -
(NT) Yeah, but sort of like squeezing blood from a rock.

In reply to: (NT) Be careful, they might sue you :-)

Collapse -
Monster HDMI cable

One day I was in need of a HDMI cable and went to Target to get one and all they had were Monster 8ft ones and they were on sale so being lazy I bought one instead of going to Walmart or somewhere else.

I had it connecting my HD-DVR to my HDTV and it worked fine for a while but then I noticed my cable picture would give out and after inspection I found that the rigid build of the cable connectors over time damaged the output port on the HD-DVR so to get a picture I had to pull on the connector to one side to get the prongs to link up.

Luckily the Comcast people are idiots so I just told them it stopped working on its own so I could exchange my HD-DVR for a new one. I replaced the Monster HDMI cable with a Sony one and I will never use Monster cables again.

Collapse -
Reality check

I USED TO be in the CE biz as a sales manager. DO you need a better than average surge protector, yes. Does the Monster gear do a decent job yes. Do you need to buy as much as they are telling you NO! ( buy HALF of the $ they try to sell you)
A "trained eye" might see a bit of a difference, that's it, but monster and some of the others all do a good job of protecting your gear and the higher end pieces will actually take some of the signal noise ( electronic hum) out of the picture. When you read a review of a new audio or video piece, read the section about what their set up was. When they list all the gear, you'll see that there are some SERIOUS cables used, and surge protection and or a UPS. That's more than most people need, but the stuff does most of what they say it will. I've used it for over eight years ( been out of the "biz" for five) and yes it's on all my TV's and audio gear. The Target or Walmart $20 ones just don't do what you would want them to do.
When I was in the biz, Monster paid a $20,000 claim to one of my clients because the piece failed. Funny part was, Monster couldn't PROVE it failed, and they paid anyway. Take all of this for the Nickel it's worth.

Collapse -
I want to be the 1,000,000th person to say this.....

In reply to: Reality check

Ive tried several of their component and hdmi cables. Compared them to several other brands that I have. Then I returned my monster products. Just not worth the money. 1,000,000 and counting.

Collapse -
monoprice

In reply to: I want to be the 1,000,000th person to say this.....

Monoprice has about the same quality cables (including HDMI ones) for less than half the cost of Monster.

Collapse -
Reality Check.

In reply to: Reality check

Mon$tor uses junk science, They make a big deal out of things that don't really make a big difference.
Most people don't have an oscilloscope, but I do!!!
I have scoped the AC line and all I saw was a 60Hz sine wave, I plugged in an electric drill to the outlet that I was scoping turned on the drill. All I saw on the scope was the same 60hz sine wave. If I could NOT see any noise on the scope then there isn't any!!!!

Stores can make very BIG $$$$ selling Mon$tor products there is a 100% markup at the retail level. The store can make more money selling you that $300 power center than they will on the $3000 HDTV.
The law of diminishing returns applies to cables, if a $25 cable is good a $100 will NOT be 4 times better.
Mo$tor training is mostly FUD. john

Collapse -

I personally have had the "Monster Training". It was informative and some of the monster power things are actually pretty nice. If i had $300 to blow i would buy another one. Other than the line noise thing (which DOES work, but only for about 1/2 of the applications) the "T2 Circuitry" that he probably failed to tell you about is its best asset. It shuts itself off and disconnects the outlets, but then doesnt allow them back on until there have been 15 seconds of stable voltage.....a handy feature especially for rear proj tv's. Unfortunately, that feature doesnt appear until you have crossed the $200 mark. I think that dude probably needs monster training, and deffinately some sales training if that is how he started his pitch.

Collapse -
lol

In reply to: .

monster trainings lately have been bad. too many people there. all the spectators are there just "to get paid" and dont listen. the presenters are getting worse and worse. although it is informative...it has been going down hill.

i remember a few years ago....monster training was great. free harmoney remotes for everyone, cables, surges, and the people that went actually knew what they were talking about.

but back to the topic....Cable quality does matter. Monster is a good quality cable. unfortunately, for 4-8 feet runs, you will never see a difference and that is what led to all this stuff about "monster sucks". as you get into running 16ft+ hdmi cables, i can guarentee you that a cheap 16FT HDMI will NOT transfer a 1080p signal as well as a well shielded 16FT HDMI cable (monster, or whatever brand you perfer).

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.