Speakeasy forum

General discussion

A Modest Proposal

by EdH / January 1, 2005 7:59 AM PST

I had to do some work for a client today, so I put off celebrating New Years until tonight. So I don't want to get into anything heavy. But I have an idea that might prevent some grief in future.

It's fairly obvious: when you see a post by someone who aggravates you to the point where you feel like your head is going to explode, IGNORE IT. Don't respond and risk getting into one of thise "Sez you"/"Right back at ya" shouting matches. Consider not even reading it.

I know it's hard to resist and we are all (or most) guilty from time to time, but it gets no one anywhere and becomes really boring. Not to mention makes the thread tree a nightmnare to navigate sometimes.

I don't mind arguing; check that, I love it. But these name-calling flame wars are not healthy. I think we all know who presses our personal buttons so it shouldn't be too hard to do.

Thanks and Peace.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: A Modest Proposal
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: A Modest Proposal
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A Modest Proposal
by xerpor / January 1, 2005 8:53 AM PST
In reply to: A Modest Proposal

I think this has been proposed before, probably many times. Especially by fairly new posters because I think they can see the problem so clearly. The fact seems to be that "Sez you"/"Right back at ya" shouting matches are actually encouraged by the moderators. I think it has something to do with ratings or something like that. Someone said a while back that the SE forum has more postings than any of the other SE forums and I think that is the goal.

They love it!

Collapse -
The problem, of course, is:
by Bill Osler / January 1, 2005 9:07 AM PST

The people who most need to take the message to heart are precisely the ones least likely to do so.

It would be helpful if everybody considered the "ancient wisdom" of the quips/quotes:

"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish."

"Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you will be like him yourself."

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent."

"It is better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

Collapse -
I agree with all that
by EdH / January 1, 2005 9:13 AM PST

but a gentle reminder can often work wonders.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) "It's an empty barrel makes the most noise."
by Ziks511 / January 2, 2005 12:36 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I do just that. :) Good advise.
by lylesg / January 1, 2005 9:10 AM PST
Collapse -
I have no proposals to make because...
by Chorus-Line A1-QMS / January 1, 2005 10:43 AM PST

a One man's opinion is far too many.

Survival - man's ultimate weapon from the time we learn to talk and walk.

CL

Collapse -
Right on! Good Post..
by dave-export / January 1, 2005 11:14 AM PST

I think we all know who the a@#^&*@'s in here are...and now that I'm back, I'll be keeping a close watch!

Collapse -
To clarify
by EdH / January 2, 2005 12:30 AM PST

I would not want anyone to single out any individual and urge publicly that that person be ignored. That's not what I was after at all.

Collapse -
Thanks, EdH !
by Angeline Booher / January 2, 2005 12:35 AM PST

Sure do appreciate your comments, EdH!

"Ignore" has long been our advice, both on the board and in emails. Other members have also made that suggestion.

Why some either can't or won't is up for grabs. My guess is that some are more sensitive to having their buttons pushed (so are favorite targets of the pushers) , some can't stand not having the last word, some just flat out enjoy it, some have trouble taking a deep breath before replying, some can't handle being corrected. Thing is, some replies have good points, but the posters insert some snide remarks which sends their good points down the tubes. And, IMO, there are some who do not realize they are baiting others, and some that don't care if they are.

Your comments were well said, and hopefully will sink in and inspire more civility and result in good debate without the personal attacks.

Angeline

click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.