Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

A little help in HTML

I have already been guided by many good people in this forum earlier, regarding my this query. I am from medical field and taking classes for many paramedics. I am into developing a CD consisting of notes, images and videos all based on HTML which I am planning to load on a CD and give to every student (Not loading into Internet)on completion of their course. I have developed the required format and structure on HTML. My question is, is it possible to make the CD autorun, means the moment the student load the CD into the computer the HTML (from where I have hyper linked other contents of my teaching) page loads automatically ?

(a)If possible kindly tell me the required command for making this possible.

(b)Also is it possible to load a particular font which if not present in the users computer can be loaded on double licking the link in my HTML page developed. If it is possible You are requested to guide me in making it possible.

All the help rendered will be appreciated as I am making a CD containing details of tackling an emergency at the paramedic level

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: A little help in HTML
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: A little help in HTML
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
ok

In reply to: A little help in HTML

I have developed the programme on front page and I am using XP

Collapse -
Re: ok

In reply to: ok

This addition is totally unnecessary. That's because the cd should work everywhere, not only with people having frontpage installed on their XP machine. In fact, most of your students don't qualify for that.

And the subject of your first post is totally wrong. It's not a question about html. html doesn't have anything to do with autorun.

That being said for your education the answer is simple: just put an autorun.inf file (use Notepad to make it) in the root folder of the cd. Any cd that autoruns will have an example. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc144200%28v=vs.85%29.aspx is the full documentation.

Kees

Collapse -
Thank you Kees

In reply to: Re: ok

Thank you. I am not an expert in computers thats why asked, probably sounded silly to you!!

But the second part you didnt give any solution i.e. if a particular font is not present in the users computer is it possible that i load the same in my CD and they install it through a link which I place in my page. If its possible kindly tell me how to do it?

Collapse -
One more nail

In reply to: Re: ok

One more nail, is that Microsoft has pretty much officially killed Autorun in Windows after it was exploited for over a decade to spread viruses and other garbage like Sony's infamous CD rootkit.

People should be working out other methods rather than relying on a feature that is now pretty much officially dead on Windows and may not exist if a person has a Mac or uses Linux.

Collapse -
thank you jimmy

In reply to: One more nail

I am basically assuming that every of my user will have windows. If as what you say autorun will not work then kindly give me another solution

Collapse -
There is no other solution.

In reply to: thank you jimmy

All you can do is write a short user manual with a sentence like "If the start page doesn't appear when you put the CD in, open the file index.htm from the root folder of the cd in your browser".
But I think it will work with most Windows users.

Kees

Collapse -
thank you kees

In reply to: There is no other solution.

is there any solution for my second querry?

if a particular font is not present in the users computer is it possible that i load the same in my CD and they install it through a link which I place in my page. If its possible kindly tell me how to do it?

Collapse -
Again the old security issues may block that. More...

In reply to: thank you kees

Ever since that exploit via a corrupt font exploit happened some IT staffers will lock down even a font install.

Here's the fallout -> You can't account for everything.

If the font matters, why not use a PDF or more images?
Bob

Collapse -
thanks profitt

In reply to: Again the old security issues may block that. More...

thanks for all the help and guidance. Nice forum to clear all the doubts. Thnx for everybody for sparing their time and answering me

Collapse -
Autorun not quite dead yet

In reply to: thanks profitt

MS has released(Feb.8)an update(KB971029)limiting Autorun functionality to CD/DVD.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971029

Originally offered as an optional software update it has been reclassified as "Important" for March updates.

Collapse -
Then you have IT staff zapping it.

In reply to: Autorun not quite dead yet

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.